SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today's Aviation Quiz
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's Aviation Quiz Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Perhaps you've noticed that across the viewing window of the main exit doors of the 737, there's a removeable red strap.

Question:
What's that red strap for? (If you're in the industry and know the answer for sure, feel free to vote but don't spoil it for others.)

Choices:
It's an assist handle for lowering the door in an emergency evacuation.
It's for reattachment to the inflatable slide should it be needed as an emergency raft in a water landing.
It's a red warning flag that indicates to rescue personnel on the outside that the inflatable slide is armed.
It secures a removeable shroud that blocks out the viewing window if a total cabin blackout is called.
It serves no purpose at all, and is a vestige from an earlier model of the 737.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote because I haven't a clue what that is and I don't recall ever seeing one. I'm curious now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Guessing is OK. Give it your best shot.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Guessing is OK. Give it your best shot.

Ok, I guessed 'no purpose' because the other options didn't make a lot of sense.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted that it was to assist in removing/holding onto the door when it is unlatched.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tantamount to the sign on brick and mortar stores.

Restrooms are for patrons only.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
You left off It's a "Remove Before Flight Flag" Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I voted and guessed. Looking at the strap's location and size, I would think it is to assist with moving/opening/discarding the door!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Guessed what I thought was most likely & was in the majority

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15341 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
It's an alarm signal that says they are out of alcohol.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
indicator to those inside and outside that the door is armed.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I went with indicator. I think I was incorrect.

The removable part is where it gets odd. Many of the things listed, you wouldn’t want it easily removable. The handle for assisting in door removal seems most likely, but you sure don’t want that removable.

Off to google what it’s really there for. Don’t worry, I won’t spoil it fir the others.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4026 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, the removable part might be a safety thing to prevent a hapless passenger from being dragged down by a falling door.

Or it's all b.s. Wink

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
indicator to those inside and outside that the door is armed.

Yup. My assumption too. I think I've heard that before as it snaps on and off.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4991 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
What is that word to the top/left of the strap?

Posts: 9050 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
What is that word to the top/left of the strap?

Can't really read it, but on many doors there's no such marking there.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Girt bar indicator.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
It a door armed warning. Red is dead.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I went with indicator. I think I was incorrect.

The removable part is where it gets odd. Many of the things listed, you wouldn’t want it easily removable. The handle for assisting in door removal seems most likely, but you sure don’t want that removable.

Off to google what it’s really there for. Don’t worry, I won’t spoil it fir the others.

If it is an armed indicator, then you definitely do want it to be removable for the cases when it’s disarmed.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
it's a warning to those outside. i cheated because i asked a flight attend. long ago and she told me. pilots don't forget (usually, well sometimes fuel or gear).

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post