SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you identify this little fish?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you identify this little fish? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
My son and I caught this little fish in the surf at Oak Island NC. Any idea what kind of fish this is?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
piranha? Eek

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19205 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
piranha? Eek

That was my first thought as well.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe Pompano.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Got my big girl
breeches on!
Picture of coffeeaddict
posted Hide Post
Atlantic Bumper? Or surf perch?

http://dressageonthequarter.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1926 | Location: TN | Registered: December 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what kind of fish it really is, it kinda looks like a piranha, so I'd go with piranha....Yup, DEFINITELY a Piranha!

He should tell ALL of his friends he caught a Piranha! Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8924 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm no fisherman but that looks like a Crappie.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no expert but the internet says piranhas cannot live in salt water and maps show only the very southern part of the US is warm enough for them to survive. This would seem to make it unlikely that it is a piranha. How did the teeth look?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Juvenile Silver Perch

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
juvenile pompano

juvenile permit looks similar but I'm pretty sure it's a pomp.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
piranha? Eek

No. Not even close to a piranha. They don't live in the sea.

Could be a juvenile pompano, but I can't really tell.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Could it be a butterfish ?

We caught it at night in the surf at low tide. It was swimming sideways because of how shallow the water was. When we pulled it up in the net it was chomping its mouth biting at the air like crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I'm no fisherman but that looks like a Crappie.

nope, not even close

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
call it bait, put a hook in it and toss it back out

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Looks like a juvenile Permit or Pompano

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Candiru

Posts: 17176 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Candiru

That would be a little far north for that little Black & Decker pecker-wrecker.....

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Silverfish! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post