SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    JFK assassination November 22, 1963.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JFK assassination November 22, 1963. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
59 years ago today. Who remembers?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I remember, I was in the third grade and remember hearing of it on the school bus coming home. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I recall as I was a junior in high school at the time.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
8th grade, English class. I can see the teacher in my mind but can't remember her name.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
5 years old. I remember getting up and asking why everyone was huddled around the (black and white) t.v. They told me the President had been shot.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I too was 5. I remember them wheeling a TV into my first grade classroom and watching the news coverage...not that any of us understood much.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember. Teachers were crying and classes were dismissed early. I watched the funeral on TV.
Regardless of what you may think of the Kennedys, our country profoundly changed that day.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I was 4 years old. It’s my earliest memory.

I saw it on tv, walked into the kitchen and told my Mom “the president’s dead”. She scolded me and said “that’s not funny”. I told her it’s on the tv in the living room.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My class was sent home early from elementary school. Walked home and found mom was crying her eyes out
watching the news on TV.
One of my earliest memory as well. I was 6 years old at the time.
America was changed for the worst since that day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: m58,

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I recall as I was a junior in high school at the time.

So was I. They interrupted the English class I was in, told us the news and sent us home.

It was the first and only early release I ever had. These days they have them every other week around here.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I was five yrs old. I came home from kindergarten and found my mother crying as she watched the news coverage. (And, she was a Republican)

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My family was living in The Hague at the time. My diplomat dad got a phone call from the embassy. It was late in the evening there after the TV had signed off for the night. We turned on the BBC to listen to the news. I well remember the shock and dismay. This kind of thing simply didn't happen in the good old USA.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was working at a VW Dealership that day when word was broadcast on radio about the JFK assassination.

All work stopped as people wandered off in all directions. I saw Business men weep.

I drove home, alone.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
11 years before I was born.

That said I learned about his assassination before first grade and always regarded it as one of America’s blackest days. Nothing in the 48 years that has passed has changed my opinion on that sad subject. Frown

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a Friday. I was home sick from school in third grade, and mom was watching the Mike Douglas show when they interrupted about noon to announce that President Kennedy had been shot. About an hour later his death was reported.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NOCkid,

Posts: 763 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also was in grade school, teachers were crying and we were sent home early. Our country went into a deep downward spiral after that. We have been in a funk for decades, and really just started going up when Trump was in office.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a freshman at University of Tennessee. I still picture the short sidewalk steps from the Chemistry building up to the back of Ayres Hall. I was on the steps when I heard another student telling about JFK being shot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anush,

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've always found it touching watching Walter Cronkite struggle to keep it together while announcing Kennedy's death as official.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I was a junior at Jesuit High School, Beaverton OR, in a US History class. We heard it over the intercom speaker in the classroom.

Posts: 3999 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I was not quite yet 3, so no…don’t remember this tragic, historical event.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post