SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why does my smart meter have a flashing IR strobe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does my smart meter have a flashing IR strobe? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I was playing around with my new PVS 14 tonight and noticed the flashing IR light on my smart meter.

I'm not so sure that I like having that there. Anybody know what its purpose is?

Posts: 20529 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a Google search "smart meter with ir beacon" - it is an alternate way of checking usage statistics.

Posts: 2810 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

PVS 14
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31356 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
smart meter

Confused

Posts: 7391 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:...

Confused

Night Vision (monocular)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44423 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

PVS 14
Confused

Google says: Link

Posts: 24176 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
My PVS 14 must have been held back in school cause I have no idea what a smart meter is

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had one, the red light would be flashing because it could not find any smart.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 240 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yep, night vision device. And the smart meters (electric) were put in pretty much everywhere a few years back to ostensibly make it easier on the power company because they wirelessly transmit usage data rather than needing to be read by a meter reader. The selling point being that those savings would be passed on to the consumer ( Roll Eyes...yeah sure).

If the data is sent wirelessly, why the need for this beacon lighting up my house?

Or...maybe it's a targeting system for the drones. Yep, they've got to be able to take out us conservatives somehow since the chemtrails don't seem to be working. Maybe them sonsabitches are giving me Havana Syndrome. That could be it. Nope, I don't like it. I don't like it one bit!

Posts: 20529 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it's aliens, but....

Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13840 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intresting.

Did you examine the meter and verify that the "strobe" is a purpose built strobe and not a small led or other piece of equipment that throws off a very small amount of visible light that the intensifier is amplifying?

When I got issued my 14 I noticed a lot of light sources I'd previously not seen. For example, the Rotors on the Blackhawks and some of the low output marker lights on the aircraft became very noticeable.

Posts: 4754 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah it's definitely IR.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Well, now that they know you know about it, be on the lookout for black helicopters.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many cell phones are all-the-time blinking in the IR spectrum as well. I don't think it's any sort of deliberate IR beacon.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Probably the same reason my neighbor’s smart meter has one. I see it flashing at night with one of my infrared cameras. I’ve never cared enough to figure out the why.

Smart meter - electric meter that reports usage autonomously

Posts: 11568 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Don't let it steal all your precious bodily fluids!

Posts: 34493 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll put some kind of shroud over it and see if the FBI comes knocking. Predawn raid here I come!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Do all of your neighbor's meters do it, too? Because if not, you're gonna want to start watching the sky for drones...

Posts: 9170 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing they do. It was raining last night and didn't feel like going for a walk to check.

Or maybe they don't. Shit. I was just getting a handle on this paranoia thing. Time to head for the boonker.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's flashing a subliminal message stating "OBEY" ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post