SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone has spirit level feature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone has spirit level feature Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Open the built-in compass app, then swipe to the left. The iPhone then functions as a spirit level with both an analog and digital display. At least this works with iOS 10.3.3. Maybe other versions too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9471 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old 3GS did that as well, like 2009-10
There was a Stanley app that made it look like a bubble level.

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've had a level app on my android for years.
ETA: The app I use is simply called "Bubble". Has many different modes, even in the free version.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zoom6zoom,

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Not knowing what a spirit level is, I though Apple had a feel-good gimmick to tell me my mood.

I’ve used iLevel for six years now, but it’s cool as a built in feature.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8277 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My spirits are already level.

Doesn't the "spirit" in that word refer to the fluid used in a level? How can that apply to the phone? Just wondering.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The level has been part of the compass app for a long time now. The same with the scientific calculator.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18094 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I use the compass frequently and had no idea that function was there. Thanks!

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
My spirits are already level.

Doesn't the "spirit" in that word refer to the fluid used in a level? How can that apply to the phone? Just wondering.

You just fill the phone with denatured alcohol using the little headphone jack on the bottom.

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Just used it for the first time yesterday! I had to search for how to activate it though.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turn it 90deg upright and one has a “bubble” level

Feature has been there for since iOS 7

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Learn something new everyday! Thanks

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where does one find the built in compass app? I can't find it anywhere on my iPhone 7.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Where does one find the built in compass app? I can't find it anywhere on my iPhone 7.

From your home page, swipe downward. A search box will appear; type 'Compass' and hit enter. The compass icon will appear on the left along with the location where the app is located on the right.

You may also tell Siri to turn on the compass.

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip!

Posts: 842 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I like how other apps can use it - I use “Ski Tracks”, and it uses the level feature to record the incline of the slopes, so at the end of the day, you can see how steep what you skied actually was - along with speed, vertical feet, and output to google maps.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ha! Hadn't realized the feature was there. Thanks, PS, for bringing it up.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Ha! Hadn't realized the feature was there. Thanks, PS, for bringing it up.

^^^ this!

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
that one is ok, I use iHandy app, it's got a better graphic setup, looks exactly like a level, go to the app store and search iLevel,

The iHandy group have other options like a plumb bob etc, if you do a lot of carpenter work they would be worth the buck or two but the basic app for the iLevel is free.

It compensates for whatever angle you set the phone, flat, long side, short while the built in works I find this one a bit more aesthetically pleasing, its a great too iShit you not...

One of those linky things

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post