SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tell me the DO's and DONT's of dating a Philippine woman
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tell me the DO's and DONT's of dating a Philippine woman Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've dated a few Filipinas. One was raised in the US, but her folks came to the US as young adults. Sweetest, hottest woman you ever saw, wicked smart, but but batshit crazy. Worse, she was totally unable to control the crazy. I think this was compounded by her being a nurse, making ridiculous money working nights as a contractor and being given tons of "free samples" of medications she kept in a tackle box. That relationship lasted a year and ended in a mushroom cloud. A few years later she married a guy who looked just like me and, well, now she's a single MILF of two. Years later I saw her on the news when she had found an unresponsive kid at the bottom of a community pool and revived him.

Next one was much older than me, had her FFL and a gun collection that would rival anyone's here. She used to be a range officer at the NRA HQ Range. Also batshit crazy, but it wasn't a serious relationship and she never flipped out on me.

I am very thankful I knew those ladies and also that things ended before we had lived together and co-mingled finances.

Posts: 2357 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Don't be talked into buying property in the Philippines.

True because only Filipino citizens can own real estate property.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 16694 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:

THIS !! Exec advice, I should have posted some background...I have known her for about 3 years, kids are teens and in school here, she runs her own business, IDK about the "EX" , i do know she has been engaged here once, but called that off. She lives in the DFW area and we have enjoyed good conversation and banter so far..

I just was looking for a few pointers that may set me above the anyone else, tips if you will, on how to score points, I am usually quite adept with women, having dated both black and white, but never an Asian..just like there are certain things you do /dont do at a family bar b que, I just dont want to do something that may shoot it down from the get go.

If she runs her own business, she's not your typical Filipino. Filipinos have a professional mindset but the mindset is, unless you're a doctor running your own practice, most of them work for somebody else. The most Filipinos would do is have a store or restaurant. Are there Filipino entrepreuners and business owners? Sure, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

They value education because it's the ticket to getting a professional job considering that people with college degrees compete to work for McDonalds in the Philippines working the french fries station.

At the Bar-B-Que, stifle the urge to ask if it's dog you're eating.

You'll get fed very nicely at their home unless she's busy and the one doing all the work. But when you go out, just make it a habit to pick up the tab.

If you get to meet some of her family and they're driving benzs and bmws, that's typical. That's how they define being successful.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 16694 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My stepmom immigrated from the Philippines to Chicago a long time ago and is pretty level headed. But she admits being embarrassed by the craziness of her female relatives and generally avoids requests to set them up with American men.

The craziness of Asian women, in general, and southeast Asian women in particular is that of jealousy. It varies in degree but at it's worst it is just absolutely irrational feelings-make-facts emotional reasoning. This is largely cultural and used as a means to control men (and prevent them from cheating), but is also rooted in shame-based parenting styles that can be emotionally damaging to kids, as well as perpetual infantilization of girls and young women.

It's kind of a Jeckyl and Hyde thing. They can be very sweet and loving and playful and feminine, and prefer more traditional gender roles, but once the green eyed monster comes out, just remember that there is absolutely no way to reason with them. In some cases you end up functioning as a pseudo-parent, having to manage their emotions for them, and treat their tantrums as you would those of a child.

Of course, there are Asian women who are not like this, so it's not universal.

For girls growing up in the Philippines, it seems quite common to have a child out of wedlock at a young age, and then perhaps another child or two if they get married later.

Posts: 3295 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Make them prepare lumpia, pancit canton, and chicken adobo. If they all check out, and she's financially independent, marry.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 18532 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thanks fellas LOL

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3023 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Make them prepare lumpia, pancit canton, and chicken adobo. If they all check out, and she's financially independent, marry.

And adopt me.

Posts: 6559 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
lol, will do

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3023 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Oh, and make sure you video the moment you tell her, for the first time, you made your dating decision based on what you learned here.Big Grin

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 13019 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JonDaddy82
posted Hide Post
I married a half Thai woman born and raised in the US. Still nuttier than squirrel turds and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. She is the hottest thing in the world though, so there's that. They will WEAR YOUR ASS OUT though...being with them is it's own MOS.

Previously married, with kids, and asian? I'd just turn gay or try sailing around the world in a canoe before I'd sign up for that.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 820 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"Live a little and just find out where it goes."

Spoiler alert. It goes the same place in all women, regardless of ethnicity.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5324 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

And adopt me.

Big Grin

Posts: 643 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I lived in the PI for 3 years. Phillipino culture is just different. They can be some of the most warm and loving people ever. Some of the women are crazy. American woman can be crazy.

I have a friend who married a woman from PI. She is 50 and has been in the country since she was a child. She’s been employed as a LPN for 20 years. Lovely woman, great cook and not crazy.

The blanket “they all crazy” doesn’t always apply. But, remember that PI is a third world country for the most part. They have been infested with terrorism since ‘84.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 35416 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Sure it's not a blanket thing.

Just that Asian culture in general has different expectations of relationships and different attitudes towards jealousy. I've dated girls from several Asian countries. The cultures are all different, but one common thread is they are historically very patriarchal. I don't mean the families are patriarchal, I mean the cultures. And that means men of any importance can and do have women on the side. In the past it was accepted (as it was here decades ago) but now the younger women do not want to accept it anymore and they make efforts to "prevent" the man from cheating.

The jealousy and other crazy behaviors are control tactics, aimed at keeping the man busy dealing with his woman instead of running around with other women. Asian women often expect to control the household money - again to keep the men from spending on other women. The family may appear to be matriarchal that way, just like Latin and Italian mothers are the center of the family, but the culture is still patriarchal. Actually, there are a lot of similarities between Latin and Philippine culture.

I know this from personal experience dating Asian women from several countries, and from discussions with female Asian friends (here and in Asia) about the dynamic, and in one case helping one fix things with her western boyfriend when she pushed it too far and he left. She told me this behavior is learned - taught by mothers and sisters and friends - and also partially because of how Asian girls are parented when they are growing up.

The most level headed ones I've known are educated professionals usually with graduate degrees, or those that come from families with a lot of money. Typically northerners.

The craziest by far have been the south Vietnamese.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 3295 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
interesting, thanks fellas , I will keep ya posted. Will be a bit before anything past friendship occurs.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,