SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tell me the DO's and DONT's of dating a Philippine woman
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tell me the DO's and DONT's of dating a Philippine woman Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
I have never even casually dated one, advice? she is @ 40, kids, divorced and on her own and solid on her feet.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3023 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is what sargents have told their troops forever.

Here's what they all said:
Don't marry foreign women. They will say anything, do anything, be anything in order to get you to marry them and after a few years, you go from being King Shit in their eyes to being Dip Shit.

I've seen it myself a number of times with people I know.

Posts: 7255 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience from my USAF days: Many women you meet overseas just want to go to the land of the big BX.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 12489 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Philippines is a matriarchal society. She may be culturally conditioned to give deference to her mother's wishes, even if she can't or won't articulate to you why. This may be irritating to some westerners who are not used to this.

Edit: I wrote a bunch, but decided that generalizations may be more harmful than helpful. The above is just a socially/culturally significant fact that might help you navigate your relationship.

Posts: 12329 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
To me, there are all types of women - race / ethnicity is incidental. Generalizations may be problematic in this context.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy

Posts: 10141 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
To me, there are all types of women - race / ethnicity is incidental. Generalizations may be problematic in this context.

This. Different cultures may have different dynamics, but women think/feel so differently than men that the cultural differences pale next to the differences between women and men.

Beyond that, absolutely look at the family dynamic. A wise old friend of mine once said, “Take a good long look at your potential future mother in law. The daughter may well end up acting (and looking, though that is less important to most) a lot like her mother. If you can’t stand the mother, think long and hard before you marry the daughter.

Not that I’m any kind of expert - I’ve only been married once and she’s only been putting up with me for a little over thirty years. ETA, well a little over thirty two if you count the two years to the day between the first date and the wedding. Here’s hoping she never comes to her senses. Wink

Posts: 5825 | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend in the service met a phillipine gal when deployed in the sandbox 15 years ago. They're happily married stateside now with 3 kids, oldest is now a teenager. Worked for them..

Posts: 146 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The Philippines is a matriarchal society. She may be culturally conditioned to give deference to her mother's wishes, even if she can't or won't articulate to you why. This may be irritating to some westerners who are not used to this.

Quoted for emphasis. I'd also add this: In casual observations of the culture, Filipino women wear the pants in their marriage to Filipino men. I've worked with a number of the men & it seemed pretty clear. Of course, as with any stereotype there could be exceptions.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 4941 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
You date the woman, you date the whole family. They love to cook too.

Posts: 6878 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Don't.

You're welcome.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. I'm gonna go to the Alamo

Posts: 41860 | Location: fl | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I agree with you about race / ethnicity, but culture differences, such as pointed out by Aeteocles, can bring some surprises.

In my bachelor days I dated women from a large variety of backgrounds. The society in which they grew up had a lot more influence than the ethnic content of their DNA.

Any cocktail can be a shrimp cocktail if you put your mind to it, and if you carry lots of loose shrimp in your pocket.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 25805 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DO: not date her

DON'T: date her

There is always a big family in the phillipines. The goal is always the same; to get that family to the US.

That four bedroom place really can hold 30 people.

Posts: 6260 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
DO: not date her

DON'T: date her

There is always a big family in the phillipines. The goal is always the same; to get that family to the US.

That four bedroom place really can hold 30 people.

Maybe if she wasn't born here and has family in the Philipines.

At 40, she's barely just past being a millennial and could easily have been born here.

Posts: 12329 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may also be marrying an ex-husband.
Ex’s can make life miserable.

Posts: 3863 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Once everyone has posted their advice here and the thread dies down, ignore all of it and just date her. Live a little and just find out where it goes.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Don't.

You're welcome.

I'll second that.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 2874 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Stay away from shoe stores. Frown

Posts: 19532 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Not thinking of her and there as broad generalizations is a fantastic start...

Two of my cousins are married to women from there as are a few male friends, plus I know a couple of guys from there as well. All lovely people, their families too, in my experience.

Posts: 25181 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If she seems like a solid good person and someone you like to be around, go for it.......Just NEVER EVER get into an argument in the kitchen or workshop......NO knives or sharp tools....just saying. Wink

And be very polite to her grandfather:

Posts: 3358 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
You did not mention if she is in the Philippines, or in the US.

I can provide more input, but the more info from you is better.

My email is in my profile. Feel free to email.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2554 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post