SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Current-model entry-level Japaese cars -- Thoughts?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current-model entry-level Japaese cars -- Thoughts? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Yeah I noticed the new Civics were quite close in size to say, a late 1990s Accord. I don't want too big because he'll be dealing with parking issues at school and around the city.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord. No specific order. Whichever you can find low miles and good price

Civics can still be found with a manual transmission. That will cut down on theft possibility and friends borrowing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6232 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where is 'east'? Is it in serious snow country? For that you want 4wd. The Toyota can be had in that but not the civic. The Subaru owns that market space but at the expense of being a step below the others in overall reliability but still pretty decent.
No serious snow get the honda or the corolla which ever makes your price point, the Toyota is likely much cheaper in my experience.
Snow get the cross or the crosstek.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Where is 'east'? Is it in serious snow country? For that you want 4wd.

Philadelphia. I wanna say they get less snow than we do over here on the western side of PA. But I am not planning to be able to do winter tire swaps (which I religiously do on all of my cars here). So AWD is a nice to have. I don't expect him to have to drive all that often. In fact, I'd considered that maybe he wouldn't even NEED a car. But then the Para's posts about 2024 have me thinking that I want him to be able to get out of the city in a hurry if need be. And that totally changed my thinking.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you feel the need for AWD, then the CRV or RAV4 may be too bid, but the Toyota CRv or honda HRV may be small enough

or the Subaru Impreza,

friend has an older Impreza with north of 200K on it with no issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spend a bit more and get a Camry or Accord. They will thank you for it.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Mazdas are awesome cars and often get overlooked.

I’d say you can’t go wrong with a Mazda3 or Honda Civic

If he’s going to be in Philly, just make sure the car has decent all season tires. That and the fact these cars are front wheel drive is fine for the snow we usually get out here.

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Philadelphia. I wanna say they get less snow than we do over here on the western side of PA. But I am not planning to be able to do winter tire swaps (which I religiously do on all of my cars here). So AWD is a nice to have.....

Then Subaru Crosstrek. Small but not too small, younger ones like the styling, and they're very capable in snow and mild off road.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Find the lowest mileage Honda Fit you can. 2020 was the last model year. Otherwise, Corolla/Civic.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These guys are fairly sharp. This is an excellent review and may be exactly what you need.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...c2UgY29yb2xsYQ%3D%3D [/FLASH_VIDEO][FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 280 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: January 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Camry. Not on your list, but a little bigger and very reliable. Out last one had 165 on the clock til it was forced off the road and destroyed. No injuries.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I would consider, as previously mentioned, a small SUV (CUV), with AWD. The Honda CR-V has gotten pretty big. The new HR-V is a nice-looking car, not a lot of power, but AWD is available; hybrid not yet. Likewise the Toyota RAV-4 is a solid buy, but Toyota may offer a smaller CUV with AWD. The Subaru CrossTrek would be a good alternative, as would a Mazda CX-30. If you buy new or CPO, the resale value will be better on Toyotas and Hondas I believe.

I have a strong preference for a bigger car with a small footprint, and AWD for snowy country.

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.abc27.com/pennsylv...ia-crime-data-shows/

Maybe a Mazda. You can probably get a deal on one and it doesn't show up on the most stolen car list. Or Corolla.

Posts: 1405 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Philadelphia......But then the Para's posts about 2024 have me thinking that I want him to be able to get out of the city in a hurry if need be. And that totally changed my thinking.

My son is in a similar situation----grad school at Drexel - within walking distance.
Consider the added expense of parking....finding parking....traffic...and car insurance for <25Y.O. in the city(Ahem...if they know that is). Then there is the every present carjacking/theft/vandalism issue and he's better off on foot or the bus.

In the event of SHTF - My oldest son and I will gear up and extract him......................we are quite well equipped.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 2013 Mazda 3 with 150k on it that I bought from my brother almost 4 years ago. It has 150K miles on it, and apart from some rust issues with the brakes right after I bought it (because my brother never changed them Mad), I've done nothing to it besides change the oil and tires. It's a stick so it's fun to drive, gets 35mpg, and reasonably comfortable considering I'm squeezing 6'5" and 200lbs into a compact car.

Posts: 8585 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
quote:

Philadelphia......But then the Para's posts about 2024 have me thinking that I want him to be able to get out of the city in a hurry if need be. And that totally changed my thinking.

My son is in a similar situation----grad school at Drexel - within walking distance.
Consider the added expense of parking....finding parking....traffic...and car insurance for <25Y.O. in the city(Ahem...if they know that is). Then there is the every present carjacking/theft/vandalism issue and he's better off on foot or the bus.

In the event of SHTF - My oldest son and I will gear up and extract him......................we are quite well equipped.

I don't trust my tactical abilities that much. I'm a few hours further too. Maybe you can grab mine on the way out. Wink Big Grin

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
https://www.abc27.com/pennsylv...ia-crime-data-shows/

Maybe a Mazda. You can probably get a deal on one and it doesn't show up on the most stolen car list. Or Corolla.

Cool list. Didn't know how to find that. Correlates pretty close to (my observation/guess) of the most prevalent models in PA too.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Camry. Not on your list, but a little bigger and very reliable. Out last one had 165 on the clock til it was forced off the road and destroyed. No injuries.

I was thinking the same on the Accord, but it is gigantic now in the exterior. I'll check the Camery. I had a used Camery and a used Corolla (and even a "Turd-cell") years ago. They were all stupendous. But for some reason the new Toyota purchasing process doesn't click with me. But I 3 year old Camery somehow rings to my ear. Particularly because it wouldn't have a CVT.

I had a CVT in my Crosstrek and drove it for seven years. I liked it almost in every situation. Ironically, the one that I didn't was a drive to Philadelphia. I became physically ill from the noise. To be fair I was hauling three sizable guys, and hauling ass too. But it was appallingly noisy in that out and back same day experience. So much so I sold it and went all-in for over a year driving my 1998 MB E430. 8 cylinders of glorious smooth quiet power.

There's no reason to think the MB wouldn't get the job done. But it seems like a bigger gamble than I like. And I've got another child ready to learn to drive. Nice to teach them in a car you can see out of.

posted Hide Post
Bought my daughter a Subaru Outback when she was in Grad School. Wanted her safe and with something reliable. As Subarus aren't top sellers I easily got the dealer to throw in an extended warranty for free. Now I don't have to worry about anything car related for her for 6 years (other than normal maintenance). And she loves it- claimed she is now a Subbie fan for life.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The Impreza is a rock solid vehicle. All your choices are generally dependable but Subaru AWD is something you really appreciate in any wet or slick weather. I mainly drive a full size truck now and often miss the all the time AWD.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post