SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    City of Richmond's police department spending spree.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

City of Richmond's police department spending spree. Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I've really got no issue with the food purchase, however, I think there are several local business that would have donated meals to these fine folks in uniform. Certainly CFA as well as Mission BBQ and probably many others. (while typing I see Lyman had the same thought)

The rest of this article is just drumming up hate for Pro-statue supporters. It's basically stating how much they are costing the City of Richmond and may well be used as a basis to deny any future demonstrations, not only in Richmond, but around the state and possibly outside. Truly eye opening if you'd like to see the cost of keeping the rabid liberals from "attacking" anyone who has a differing opinion, but it's lost on most of those that'll actually have to foot the bill for the nonsense.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
This was likely driven by the screw up just down the road in Charlottesville. Richmond was determined not to have a repeat, which I appreciate. That said, it strikes me the thing in Charlottesville was more a rules of engagement issue more than an equipment and prep issue.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of agencies are hesitant to go beginning for handouts, even (and often especially) for food and drinks. Some agencies prohibit their officers from taking a free drink or meal on duty. There are logistical concerns with having to feed several hundred people that a lot joints that would be willing to donate might not be able to meet. It's not a lack of appreciation, usually, it's just that sometimes it is very difficult to organize and pull off, especially when somebody is willing to do it on contract for a few bucks with less to worry about and more recourse if they don't hold up their end.

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
A lot of agencies are hesitant to go beginning for handouts, even (and often especially) for food and drinks. Some agencies prohibit their officers from taking a free drink or meal on duty. There are logistical concerns with having to feed several hundred people that a lot joints that would be willing to donate might not be able to meet. It's not a lack of appreciation, usually, it's just that sometimes it is very difficult to organize and pull off, especially when somebody is willing to do it on contract for a few bucks with less to worry about and more recourse if they don't hold up their end.

I understand that, and appreciate it,

however I have donated pallets of water when I was a store manager for a rather large grocery chain to both Henrico and Richmond PD's before,
with out supply issues, PD's just pulled a van around back and we loaded it for them,

the stuff if there if they need it, just need to reach out

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10564 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
During that east coast power outage years ago, we all were ordered in for extra shifts. Coca Cola has a bottling plant in our city. I stopped in after midnight and asked for some water. The guy in charge that night sent a semi loaded with bottled water to our station.

You gotta ask!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8150 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
$371 for Papa John’s pizzas and another $97.28 for pizza.

At least a couple of them didn't want Papa John's! Big Grin

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Did they buy all that shit from Grainger? Big Grin Sounds like they got bent over.

Posts: 21339 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
~500 a pop for gas masks ? They never heard of Amazon ? Fuck it. Not their money they were spending

when I was in the semi industry working fabs all day long I had an Advantage 1000 mask, two GME cartridges plus 4 spares and a VOX box for talking

$500 easy

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53775 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
This was likely driven by the screw up just down the road in Charlottesville. Richmond was determined not to have a repeat, which I appreciate. That said, it strikes me the thing in Charlottesville was more a rules of engagement issue more than an equipment and prep issue.

I agree.

Also, half the money spent was on equipment the city was probably looking to purchase anyway.

It's also the city of Richmond and they are pretty self sufficient and can spend the money they want.

I made a choice to live outside the city limits to avoid their significantly higher taxes which pay for these things.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

I agree.

Also, half the money spent was on equipment the city was probably looking to purchase anyway.

It's also the city of Richmond and they are pretty self sufficient and can spend the money they want.

I made a choice to live outside the city limits to avoid their significantly higher taxes which pay for these things.

and yet when I worked downtown a couple years ago, RPD was shorthanded, and had been for a while, with not much hope of hiring sufficient numbers ,

according to a couple of the cops that frequented where I worked

Posts: 10564 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I've really got no issue with the food purchase, however, I think there are several local business that would have donated meals to these fine folks in uniform. Certainly CFA as well as Mission BBQ and probably many others. (while typing I see Lyman had the same thought)

The rest of this article is just drumming up hate for Pro-statue supporters. It's basically stating how much they are costing the City of Richmond and may well be used as a basis to deny any future demonstrations, not only in Richmond, but around the state and possibly outside. Truly eye opening if you'd like to see the cost of keeping the rabid liberals from "attacking" anyone who has a differing opinion, but it's lost on most of those that'll actually have to foot the bill for the nonsense.

My take on this too. Thanks DSGrouse for posting.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will say again, RPD did an excellent job on this event as a whole. My issue is with the money spent. Not over time. I am sick and tired of the " just the use it or loose it " mentality of state and local municipalities.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are a hanover resident, or work in hanover
Join the hanover residents group on facebook. Message me on there Kimpton Wall. This is where i pulled the article from.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
If it isn't a volunteer job, pay and feed everyone well.

If they got out of that potential circus with no PD or civilian injuries, no lawsuit, the PD got some needed equipment, and the officers were paid overtime, I think it went well.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richmond police chief's response.

Link:
http://www.richmond.com/news/l...89-09251389a2fc.html

quote:
“We didn’t have a budget,” Durham said. “I got direct orders from the mayor that we were to purchase whatever we need to ensure another Charlottesville didn’t happen here.”

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Blank check? Seems that this schmuck took full advantage of the tax payers in the name of "safety". Charlottesville didn't happen because the police weren't equipped to handle it...it happened because they allowed it to (and more likely forced it to). How can people give a free pass to wholesale buying of shit and consider themselves "conservative"? I'm not too pissed off because it didn't happen to me and my tax dollars are being used, but man would I be pissed to have to pay for protection from a group of thugs like the BLM types.

Snipped from the original article "Police purchased two license plate readers from the Virginia State Police at a cost of $53,600." We are justifying a purchase like this? The only times they will be used is when any group other than liberals are having a function. Gun shows, Tea Party Rallies, Pro-Confederate statue rallies....see a trend?

Don't for one minute forget where this happened and who was in charge!

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Blank check? Seems that this schmuck took full advantage of the tax payers in the name of "safety". Charlottesville didn't happen because the police weren't equipped to handle it...it happened because they allowed it to (and more likely forced it to). How can people give a free pass to wholesale buying of shit and consider themselves "conservative"? I'm not too pissed off because it didn't happen to me and my tax dollars are being used, but man would I be pissed to have to pay for protection from a group of thugs like the BLM types.

Snipped from the original article "Police purchased two license plate readers from the Virginia State Police at a cost of $53,600." We are justifying a purchase like this? The only times they will be used is when any group other than liberals are having a function. Gun shows, Tea Party Rallies, Pro-Confederate statue rallies....see a trend?

Don't for one minute forget where this happened and who was in charge!

armchair quarterbacking here,
but wondering if RPD could have borrowed the cars from VSP,

Stoney seems tight with MacAwful, surely a call could have placed a few VSP plate reading cruisers where needed??

and I agree, RPD did good with this event,