SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use AIO water cooling on their computer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use AIO water cooling on their computer? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I’m not looking at building some extreme machine just a mild gaming computer with either a I7-13700k or i9-13900k to upgrade my old one. Old is a i7-4790k with a 970 GTX.

I want dependable and reliable cooling for many years. Air coolers have just grown ridiculously large - more so than my old Hyper 212.

Computer case size and air flow are not issues - Lancool III

Mild overclocking is likely if absolutely stable but I don’t aim to try to set any records.

I was considering a EK 360 Basic AIO cooler.

Anyone feel the pumps, fluid loss and overall dependability are at acceptable levels now?

I don’t plan to use this motherboard or graphics card, but this is a very similar build to what I have planned.
https://youtu.be/BOWTTzBkaBE

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I've got a NZXT Kraken Z-Series [Z53] AIO cooling a Core i9-10850K in a Lancool II Case. Technically it's a Razer Tomahawk Case, but it's the exact same chassis. Anyway, it's been running like a top since April 2022, when I was FINALLY able to get a Video Card [EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming] and complete the build. Frustratingly, I waited OVER a Year to get that Graphics Card, while the rest of the build sat idle! Roll Eyes

The PC is a 100% Gaming Rig and the AIO has had ZERO issues cooling the processor! The Processor is NOT overclocked, but XMP is enabled on the MB [ASUS Maximus XII Hero Z490] running the Memory Clock at 3600 Mhz. The Graphics Card is NOT overclocked either but all other settings are configured for MAX Performance. The PC has three inlet fans on the front (2x 140mm & 1x 120mm) and three exhaust fans (2x 120mm on the roof mounted AIO & 1x 120mm top rear). The Power Supply is a Seasonic 850W Prime PX-850 Platinum w/ fan control set to Normal, so NOT hybrid/quiet mode. Overall, the PC runs cool & quiet IMO and exceeds all expectations!

Like I said, it runs like a top...ZERO cooling issues and I don't expect any! The backlit LCD display on the Z-series AIO was initially set to display CPU & GPU temps, but in short order it was clear that ALL temps were VERY well controlled. The CAM software in now configured to display a GIF on the AIO display, which is pretty damn cool, pun intended! Cool

I'm definitely not concerned about leakage and down the road, should it exhibit any issues due to evaporative fluid loss, I'd just replace it. I'd definitely put an AIO in any future build. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8959 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Y’all just making up words and numbers now…half that ain’t even English.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
In general aio coolers are pretty reliable. Like anything mechanical there are lemons.

360mm is pretty much max size and recommended for a 13900.

Much quieter than traditional air cooling.

Posts: 2716 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I'm running a Corsair Hydro Series H100i on a i9-10850KA currently. I have been using liquid CPU coolers since 2011 and have never had a leak or any issues with them. I know nothing about EK. You are probably already using this but if not put your build together at https://pcpartpicker.com/. This might alert you to some compatibility issues. It's saved me quite a few times.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used AIO Coolers (Corsair and NZXT) on my computers for at least eight years. I had two failures (leaking) but these failures were three to four years in.

The latest computer build (Threadripper) I decided to use a large Air Cooler. I did not want to take the chance of any leakage damaging the motherboard and/or CPU.

The big Air Cooler has been every bit as effective as the Water Cooler with no concerns of failure.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I put a Corsair H110i Elite Capellix on my desktop last year. I have a Ryzan 5 3600 in it, and the CPU would get rather toasty. So an AIO was installed. Now the CPU stays cool, but since the case the radiator goes on the intake on the airflow the overall temp inside the case is a bit higher. I don't overclock, but this system is two now, and the goal is to get another 3-4 years out of it before I need to look at the next build.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have incorporated AIO coolers into computers - even jut standard use computers.
The issue is generally a case fitment one.
If the case is new and have the physical accommodations then is is a breeze.
I used Cooler Master, Corsair, NZXT and others.
Never have done any custom coolers but may try one if a client needs it, they can get pricey.
The bigger the radiator the better.
They are quiet.
As for longevity - I have had one (Cooler Master) on in my main desktop for approx 4 years - works great and I occasionally check temps to validate.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Corsair h150 that has been running 24/7 for several years now and it is still working acceptably. If fluid loss has reduced its efficiency, then it hasn’t reduced it enough to matter for my heat load yet.

If I were building the PC again, would I get another water cooler? No, probably not. Why? It has all the failure modes of my air coolers, plus several others, it cost a fair bit more, and I didn’t really end up needing the extra cooling capacity. I only had one system with a workload that really thrashed the CPU, and it turns out my actual power usage would have been perfectly fine with a traditional air cooler. If I had a video editing rig with an overclocked CPU putting out 200w+ constantly, maybe I’d go water again, but anything less I’ll stick with air. I don’t dislike AIOs, I just tried one and the performance advantage was pretty much unnecessary which made it nothing more than extra failure modes for no real advantage. In my opinion, if a big heat pipe cooler will handle your heat load and fit in your case, go with one. Don’t bother with an AIO unless your power draw in a realistic load is too high for even a massive air cooler or your case won’t let you fit a big enough air cooler but will allow an AIO. That’s just my opinion though.

Also, once you stick the fans on an AIO, it takes up every bit as much space as a massive dual-tower air cooler, it’s just a different shape and mounted in a different area!

- Bret

Posts: 2467 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've used Corsair AIO's in two builds without issue. The first AIO lasted through two builds (2012 to 2020) and was still functional when I upgraded.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I used to. Ran a Corsair h100i something or other for about six years. It was ok, but swapped it out for a Noctua nh-u12a air cooler once I upgraded the CPU to the much hotter 11700k. If I bought another aio water cooler I'd probably be looking at the nzxt Kraken line.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2273 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Not AIO, but I used a Thermaltake in my last PC. It lasted years, but when it went, it was a bitch to diagnose and it nearly took the CPU with it. It wasn't leaking, it just stopped cooling, and I couldn't tell you why. I went back to fans after that. They'd loud, but when they get quiet, I know I have a problem.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, only the larger 360 AIO water coolers are worth it for any kind of overclocking. The 280's and below are worthless in that regard. Extra large air coolers like the Noctua D15 are not quite as good as the better 360 units in terms of max overclocking, however neither hold a candle to custom water loops, but custom water loops are in a far different price category.

Large air coolers are still far better for daily use with a little OC or stock speeds because they are quieter and more far more reliable without ever having to worry about it. Better 360 AIO's will generally allow a tiny bit better OC than air coolers because they have better fast heat soaking capabilities, but it's not worth the hassle. In fact, seriously overclocking current Top end CPU's isn't really worth the hassle in itself. It aint like in the past where an OC would give you an actual "felt" operating speed difference. Nowadays, it just gives you bigger numbers in unrealistic app benchmarks.

The main drawbacks of water AIO's or custom water loops has always been the two additional failure points over air coolers. Pump failures and leakage/blockage failures, both of which are hard stops on operation. Other drawbacks are usually noisier at low CPU usage (constant pump noise), harder to fit/install, more expensive. Fan failures are applicable to either, but a big air cooler can still work pretty well passively radiating even with fan failures, obviously not as well, but well enough to get by and not destroy anything. AIO radiators are worthless passively without forced air flow from fans. While AIO radiator fans are not louder than air cooler fans by themselves at any given speed, the fact that radiators and their fans are mounted on the edge of the case vs deeper inside the case like air coolers, so the air blow-through is generally more auditory apparent.

Main benefit of AIO water coolers over air is they look nicer with colored lights and such.

Posts: 4351 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
Main benefit of AIO water coolers over air is they look nicer with colored lights and such.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I will point out that the smaller AIO's can be very useful in small form factor builds. Many of the sub-10L cases won't fit a large enough air cooler to deal with the heat load of even some of the non-overclocked CPU's available these days, but the separation of the radiator from the CPU socket area means they can usually squeeze a 120mm or 240mm AIO in. That said, I freely admit super-small builds are a niche that is pretty much only relevant to fairly hardcore enthusiasts who like building PC's as much as actually using them for anything.

I definitely agree that 360's are the size where you really can't find a tower cooler that will handle that same amount of heat. Well, you can, but it's going to be meant for a server and have fans loud enough to cause hearing damage on it!

- Bret

Posts: 2467 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Corsair AIO on my I9-9900 just under 4 years now.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like this is the new version? $182

https://smile.amazon.com/CORSA...rd_i=B0829S536D&th=1

I do some hardcore video editing, at times, some decent gaming, and VR. I'm not overclocked, but I've never had high temps, and the pump has been working flawlessly with fans for like I said, 4 years now. I've had to replace a few of the other case fans in that time, but this thing keeps ticking. I'm very pleased, and as I'm upgrading the GPU and power supply here soon, I expect another 2-3 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Been using an AIO since 2018 on a smaller case build, do some overclocking and gaming, very seldom go over 98 degrees. Also have 4 additional fans running. No leaks no problems.

Posts: 3576 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Some videos from reviewers who know way more about these than others:

P.S. Overclocking is dead. Virtually not worth overclocking CPU's from the last few generations, compared to 6 years back and beyond.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2273 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
This goes way beyond your question, but checkout Green Revolution Cooling, liquid immersion cooling. I know a place where they are installed, did all the preliminary testing, scientific papers, etc. on the subject and they are no joke. Anyone building data centers the old school way is crazy.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I also have a Corsair for my Ryzen 5900 box, but I do not overclock.

PC Builder on YouTube has some great videos on builds and equipment, including a great one on choosing a cooler for your processor.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6068 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I will point out that the smaller AIO's can be very useful in small form factor builds. Many of the sub-10L cases won't fit a large enough air cooler to deal with the heat load of even some of the non-overclocked CPU's available these days, but the separation of the radiator from the CPU socket area means they can usually squeeze a 120mm or 240mm AIO in. That said, I freely admit super-small builds are a niche that is pretty much only relevant to fairly hardcore enthusiasts who like building PC's as much as actually using them for anything.

I definitely agree that 360's are the size where you really can't find a tower cooler that will handle that same amount of heat. Well, you can, but it's going to be meant for a server and have fans loud enough to cause hearing damage on it!

- Bret

Yes, for some of the small form factors, I could see a smaller AIO being useful. I simply got away from building smaller form factors like ITX and smaller stuff, because the cost for shrinkage stopped being worth the price and compromises squeeze! I just recommend NUC's and such for size constrained computing anymore.

Posts: 4351 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post