SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you checked your spare tire's pressure recently?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you checked your spare tire's pressure recently? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I'm pretty good about regularly checking tire pressure but yesterday when I did so on my 2019 Corolla I thought hmmmm I've never checked the spare since I bought this car 3 1/2 years ago. Correct psi is 60 and mine only had 31. There's not a TPS monitor in the donut spare. It would have sucked putting it on after a flat only to have it overheat and blow out. From now on I'll check spare tires once a year when getting the inspection sticker and tires rotated.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just had this conversation recently as my dad's trailer was noticed to have a flat when we got a car loaded on it. Luckily he has a spare, which was also flat, but held air fine when we inflated it.
Trailer tire had 3 nails in it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you have a truck or SUV where the tire is undermounted, you should also lubricate the winch and cables with a cable and chain lubricant. Something thin enough that it penetrates into the wire cable, and then sets up or dries to protect. I used B'laster Chain and Cable lubricant because it's cheap and readily available, but I don't necessarily endorse it because I haven't compared it to anything else.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You should, in general, have a 12v compressor in the car at all times. Belt and suspenders, right?

A cheap, emergency use only, compressor is small enough to shove into one of the void spaces found underneath the trunk deck.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you run Michelin tires, you don't need no stinking spare. Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Have not checked the spare recently, but I do have TPMS and a portable air inflator, so I should be good even if it's a bit low.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I check the spare on every disabled flat tire vehicle we serve. Just recently changed the tire on the I-295 bypass and the lady had no idea where the tire was, what tire pressure was, etc. Lucky the tire had over 40 psi remaining. She had to drive 60 miles on the donut.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you run Michelin tires, you don't need no stinking spare

LOL!!!! I've not needed a spare (knock on wood) since I've been running Michelins ( since 2006)!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
If you have a truck or SUV where the tire is undermounted, you should also lubricate the winch and cables with a cable and chain lubricant....

This is a good suggestion. I imagine with a lot of pick up trucks when it comes time to lower the spare from under the bed, in addition to the cable and brackets, the wheels themselves are corroded and tires low if not flat. Out of sight out of mind. In my case there's no excuse as the spare is easily accessible right there under the hatch floor.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
If you have a truck or SUV where the tire is undermounted, you should also lubricate the winch and cables with a cable and chain lubricant....

This is a good suggestion. I imagine with a lot of pick up trucks when it comes time to lower the spare from under the bed, in addition to the cable and brackets, the wheels themselves are corroded and tires low if not flat. Out of sight out of mind. In my case there's no excuse as the spare is easily accessible right there under the hatch floor.

Thankfully, the good guys at the Discount Tire pressure check line will lower truck tires an check the spare's pressure. I usually adjust my pressure two-three times a year to compensate for the changing temps, and if I remember I'll have them check and adjust the spare at the same time. What a great service that keeps me coming back for all of my tire needs.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have a truck or SUV where the tire is undermounted, you should also lubricate the winch and cables with a cable and chain lubricant. Something thin enough that it penetrates into the wire cable, and then sets up or dries to protect. I used B'laster Chain and Cable lubricant because it's cheap and readily available, but I don't necessarily endorse it because I haven't compared it to anything else.

Good point! I have a 2002 Chevy truck and only once did I ever think about checking the spare tire pressure. When I went to do it, I couldn’t believe it was mounted so the air stem was on the upper side. I had to lower the tire all the way down to air it up. I flipped it over so it could be checked and aired up easier, but didn’t think of lubricating the cable so I will. Only makes sense.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the under bed mounted spare on an 01 Chevy and live in the rust belt. You can imagine what a steel wheel looked like after 22 years of road salt and grime, so I now have no spare. In a stroke of sheer unbelievable magic, the hoist cable did lower just fine, but I was not comfortable trying to drive on a rim that was flaking off in my fingers.

I should really replace that soon. Time for a junk yard trip I guess.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Tell that to my Porsche dealer who only charged me almost $400 after getting my Spyder towed in after hitting a chunk of metal on I-40…
BTW the tires had less than 500 miles on them…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The comment about the undercarriage crank, pully, and cable needing anti-rust lubrication is correct. On the other hand, tires underneath are comparatively well protected compared to being out in the open. However, I moved mine into the bed of my pickup since I lack the strength and flexibility to remove it and pull it out, in the rain, at night, in the mud at the side of the road, etc. But if I could still handle it I would keep it under the bed via the cable mount system.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8684 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
If I suffer a flat tire I’ll use my Hyundai Blue Link service to get a guy out to put the compact spare on. He’ll have a compressor on his truck to inflate it.

But I use Michelin tires and can’t remember the last time I had a flat. Me and 41. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Tell that to my Porsche dealer who only charged me almost $400 after getting my Spyder towed in after hitting a chunk of metal on I-40…
BTW the tires had less than 500 miles on them…

I got 117K miles on my first set of Michelins.

Recently, I was crossing a narrow bridge with a 40-foot semi coming the other way. At the last minute, I saw a piece of steel laying in the road and there wasn't any way to miss it. It punctured the right front side wall and I got about two miles up the road before it went flat.

I got a tow home through AAA for $40. A replacement tire was $287. The State is responsible for paying the damages but so far they have failed to respond.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
What is amazing about Michelin's is the tires are perfectly round. My first set didn't need any weights to balance them.

My second set had one tire that needed weights to balance it.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I check my tire pressures including the spare every quarter, same time as I check the charge on my jump starter battery.

A long time ago, I bought a spare tire pressure gage from a run of the mill auto parts store. It was long enough to attach permanently to the spare tire and have it snake to an accessible location in the trunk area. It showed the tire pressure and it had a nozzle with which you can inflate the spare tire. The nozzle came with a valve cover that you would use if you had to take the gauge off to use the spare.

I've been trying to find one with no luck.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I recall a lady who drove a Rav4 having a full size spare mounted to its back door. The sensor was going off as it was low on air. She couldn't figure out what tire was setting off the sensor.. Big Grin. My doughnut cranks down from the mini van floor inside. Think I will try it's crank to be sure it lowers problem free.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should, in general, have a 12v compressor in the car at all times. Belt and suspenders, right?

A cheap, emergency use only, compressor is small enough to shove into one of the void spaces found underneath the trunk deck.

That and a plug kit live in my road trip toolbox. I check the air in the spare every oil change, too. These things have gotten me out of a jam more than once.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post