SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coach Herman Boone has passed away.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coach Herman Boone has passed away. Login/Join 
posted
High school football coach Herman Boone passed away today. If you remember Denzel Washington played him in Remember The Titans.

Posts: 4130 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Didn't know of him before the movie, but he apparently was a great HS coach. Still watch the movie every time it comes on TV. RIP HB.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2800 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
That is really, really sad to hear. I wouldn't have known of him either, if it hadn't been for "Remember the Titans" (on my list of top 10 favorite movies of all time). I think Denzel portrayed coach Boone with the respect he had earned and deserved; I often look at that movie for inspiration. And I had to look it up...coach Boone was preceded in death by coach Yost (23-MAY 2019).

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is sad to hear.
I knew of him from being in VA and working in Northern VA. (I cannot remember why though.)

Remember the Titans is in the top ten of my favorite movies.

I think Denzel Washington nailed the role.

I also looked toward the movie for inspiration or when i am feeling low.

That was a tough time, and a hell of a challenge that he took. Not only for him but also his family. From what I read he was a great coach along with being very passionate about the game but also about player development on and off the field.

I did not know that Coach Yost passed away. That is also said to hear.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did not know that Coach Yost passed away. That is also said to hear.

To add - The real Sheryl Yoast (his young daughter in the movie) unfortunately led a relatively short life, passing away from an undetected heart condition in 1996 at the age of 34.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post