SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supreme Court Nomination Pool
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court Nomination Pool Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Just curious, what decision besides the infamous "Obamacare mandate is a tax" nonsense has Roberts decided on that we all hate him for?

I didn't like his decision on a particular eminent domain case a number of years ago (government condemning property for commercial development), but did like his decision on another eminent domain case subsequent to that (government suing to stop subdividing out of environmental concerns). Both went against the property owners. All rather proving the point that's being made.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious, what decision besides the infamous "Obamacare mandate is a tax" nonsense has Roberts decided on that we all hate him for?

True that Alan. Roberts was IMHO a decent pick.

I am thankful for Trump but also to McConnell. The combination of both gave us Gorsuch over Garland. Though I'd have prefer Hardiman but I trust Trump on this.. he knows way better than us.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thank you President Trump for another great pick for SCOTUS in Brett Kavanaugh. He has a long and solid record on the bench, has shown to be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, and is widely respected among conservatives.

I am glad he did not choose Amy Barrett. She looks good on paper but has pretty much zero record. Maybe after a couple years she will prove that she walks the talk and can again be in high consideration. I hope Thomas Hardiman is kept very high on the list for the next opportunity.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Hey, Democrats, don’t you want to let the good times roll? Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, and we would be SOOOOOOOOO much better off with a Justice selected by Hillary. Roll Eyes

Some people just prefer to be negative all of the time. It doesn't matter if it's Trump, or kids in caves, or anything else. It has to all be doom or gloom.

Had Hillary been elected, they would have basked in the negativity. That's where they are comfortable.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:

True that Alan. Roberts was IMHO a decent pick.

I am thankful for Trump but also to McConnell. The combination of both gave us Gorsuch over Garland. Though I'd have prefer Hardiman but I trust Trump on this.. he knows way better than us.

I still hold John Roberts in high regard and he has been solid on the Second Amendment so far. I am not that concerned he will turn into another Kennedy.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
If the never Trumpers had their way, which includes a LOT of conservatives, we would be talking about how Eric Holder had just been nominated by HRC as the next Justice for SCOTUS.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
If the never Trumpers had their way, which includes a LOT of conservatives, we would be talking about how Eric Holder had just been nominated by HRC as the next Justice for SCOTUS.

Yeah, but you wouldn’t have to worry about getting on a plane and being seated by those two. Ever think about that?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:

Yeah, but you wouldn’t have to worry about getting on a plane and being seated by those two. Ever think about that?

Big Grin

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here is a very long article by Dave Kopel in Reason.

Link

Bottom line:
quote:
Judge Kavanaugh's text, history, and tradition methodology for Second Amendment cases will not please people who believe that all gun control is impermissible, nor will it please advocates who want to make the Second Amendment a second-class right.

Posts: 18386 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6373 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
HEY ANYBODY SEEN THAT CARBONITE MEME?DAMN FUNNY. I'LL TRY TO FIND IT.

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Bottom line:
quote:
Judge Kavanaugh's text, history, and tradition methodology for Second Amendment cases will not please people who believe that all gun control is impermissible, nor will it please advocates who want to make the Second Amendment a second-class right.

Nothing in Kavanaugh's decisions seem to act as limits on what laws can be passed to give people greater access to firearms, and his finding that some weapons have 'generally' been regulated or banned from civilian ownership leaves an opening. If legislators repeal bans or other restrictions on gun ownership then the 'generally' aspect of Kavanaugh's decisions doesn't prevent them from doing so. At the same time, legislators, by repealing bans and regulations, can redefine what is 'generally' done.

We've seen a lot of talk on this thread about what judges do or don't do. As Roberts, Scalia and other judges have pointed out, the legislature and the executive have roles to play to and are supposed to be more responsive to the citizenry's policy desires than the courts are.

It's time to focus on 2020, not 2015.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I didn't like his decision on a particular eminent domain case a number of years ago (government condemning property for commercial development), but did like his decision on another eminent domain case subsequent to that (government suing to stop subdividing out of environmental concerns). Both went against the property owners. All rather proving the point that's being made.

Kelo vs New London? Roberts wasn't on that one but nevertheless that one chapped my hide.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6900 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I just wish that people (especially the media) would stop using "Conservative" as the descriptor of all of President Trump's nominee pool. Those judges are "conservative" (lower case "c") only in that they believe in ordered change as opposed to whim. I prefer the term "Originalist" or "Textualist" which indicate basing decisions on the actual text of the Constitution as Amended, and the meaning of that text when it was written (not as it may have changed over the years since).

Using the term "Conservative" automatically raises red flags among Liberals and Leftists, even before anything else is said. Liberals and Leftists prefer judges who will use their position to make rulings that are based on what they WANT the law to be or feel it SHOULD be, not what it actually says. A "Conservative" judge would also bend the text in judgments, but in a rightward direction. For proper operation of the Supreme Court, Justices should be neither "Liberal" nor "Conservative", but only making judgments based on the language of the documents. Changes to those documents (Constitution and its Amendments) are the province of the Congress and the States--if changes are needed, those agents are to make them, not the Courts.

Please--let's use "Originalist" or "Textualist" when describing Trump's pool of nominees.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Flashguy, I agree with you; however it’s irrelevant as far as the Left is concerned. They are only concerned about outcomes, not process.
Basically (as my wife was saying this morning), it’s clear they don’t believe in democracy, and prefer to be ruled by an oligarchy without the rule of law. It’s utterly stupid, but that’s where they are.

Posts: 18386 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, and we would be SOOOOOOOOO much better off with a Justice selected by Hillary. Roll Eyes

That's the thing to keep in mind.
We can nitpick about this opinion or that opinion. But it was a good appointment. We should all get behind it in any small way we can.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
What you hope for is what we got, a very smart person with respectable experience, showing devotion to the ideals of the American Constitution, and to interpretation accordingly.

That's how I see it, too.
Kavanaugh seems about as solid a pick as one could make.

Great job, Mr. President.
Here's hoping you get a few more chances to do this again. There's still great people remaining on your list!

Posts: 1796 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post