SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supreme Court Nomination Pool
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court Nomination Pool Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
With all the intense interest in the forthcoming nomination to replace Justice Kennedy, and the variety of opinions about who the President will chose, let’s consolidate all that into one thread.

Give your choice, no more than two, who you think the President will nominate. The winner will be announced next Monday, apparently.

The list put out by the White House, after the Gorsuch nomination, includes:

— Amy Coney Barrett of Indiana, 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Keith Blackwell of Georgia, Supreme Court of Georgia

— Charles Canady of Florida, Supreme Court of Florida

— Steven Colloton of Iowa, 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Allison Eid of Colorado, 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Britt Grant of Georgia, Supreme Court of Georgia

— Raymond Gruender of Missouri, 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Brett Kavanaugh of Maryland, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit

— Raymond Kethledge of Michigan, 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Joan Larsen of Michigan, 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Mike Lee of Utah, United States senator

— Thomas Lee of Utah, Supreme Court of Utah

— Edward Mansfield of Iowa, Supreme Court of Iowa

— Federico Moreno of Florida, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida

— Kevin Newsom of Alabama, 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— William Pryor of Alabama, 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Margaret Ryan of Virginia, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces

— David Stras of Minnesota, 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Diane Sykes of Wisconsin, 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Amul Thapar of Kentucky, 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Timothy Tymkovich of Colorado, 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Robert Young of Michigan, Supreme Court of Michigan (Ret.)

— Don Willett of Texas, 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

— Patrick Wyrick of Oklahoma, Supreme Court of Oklahoma

You aren’t limited to these picks, of course, even if Trump thinks he is.

I will go with Kavanaugh or Thapar.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I am very curious to see whom others support and why.

Admittedly, I am woefully ignorant. I do however have a serious man crush on Gorsuch.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of speculation about Willett and Hardiman, but if I was advising the president, I would suggest a woman, especially if he is going to appoint a pro-life justice.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
First choice: Amy Coney Barrett. Second choice: Britt Grant.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Amy Coney Barrett is my first choice, and Amul Thapar is my second.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I don't have any specific picks but someone with a proven record of being strong on Second Amendment Rights would be very important to me.

Edit: Brett Kavanaugh is on record with a dissent about Second Amendment infringement, so that is a good start for me.

http://www.latimes.com/politic...-20180628-story.html

"Walker cited, as an example, Kavanaugh’s support for the right to own a semiautomatic rifle under the 2nd Amendment. In 2008, the Supreme Court struck down a District of Columbia ordinance that prohibited residents from having a handgun at home. The same plaintiff later claimed the right to possess a semiautomatic weapon, but lost by a 2-1 vote in the D.C. Circuit, Walker noted. Kavanaugh wrote a lengthy dissent arguing that the 2nd Amendment included the right to have such a weapon."

Posts: 9849 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I am very curious to see whom others support and why.

Admittedly, I am woefully ignorant. I do however have a serious man crush on Gorsuch.

I'm in the same boat. I don't swim in the right circles to know one judge from the other. I do know I'm a fan of pick #1, I'm pretty confident I'll also like the second selection at well.

I don't care who he picks as long as they rule based on constitution and don't legislate from bench.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21142 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
First choice: Amy Coney Barrett.

Is she as good as Gorsuch?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
What is the average age of these choices? Based on the length of a supremes term would you trade longevity for a less conservative vote or go for the more strict origionalist with a perhaps shorter tenure?

Just musing. Anyone is better than someone who the left would pick.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Which raises another question - if you get a young judge who's great now, are they more likely to change at some point while on the bench simply because they will eventually spend a lot of time on the bench and in DC? Or does a shorter tenure imply more certainty?

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
What is the average age of these choices? Based on the length of a supremes term would you trade longevity for a less conservative vote or go for the more strict origionalist with a perhaps shorter tenure?

I would not want to see another Kennedy on the court just because he is one of the youngest.

Posts: 9849 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, and in fact often am wrong, but I would suspect that you could sort that list in order of age, youngest first, and be close to the order of selection.

I don't think he is under any particular pressure to select a female because there are already three.

Minority? A Chinese or Japanese name might get some extra points.

His selection for the next vacancy after this, assuming as I do that it will be to fill the place of a very liberal judge, will be very interesting. He may need to save a strong female candidate for that opening.
Whoever gets that selection will be put through a special version of hell.

I cannot se Ginsberg lasting much longer.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

IIRC, all are late 40’s to mid 50’s.

I think you can take it as given that all are “strict constructionists” in varying degrees.

I believe all are on wikipedia. Age, schools, where they clerked, judicial experience, etc.

SCOTUSblog is writing up profiles, it looks like one per weekday. She won’t make it around to all 25 obviously, so must be privy to some condensed list, the “shorter” list or something.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I do not know that for certain, but Franken and others seemed to really not like her. Feinstein and Durbin went after her because of her Catholic beliefs. I'm looking for info on her 2A beliefs.
One article said she unequivocally affirmed judges' duty to the Constitution and the law.

Her writings reflect an originalist view of the Constitution. She clerked for Scalia.

I liked the things written by groups which opposed her nomination to the 7th Circuit.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do not know that for certain, but Franken and others seemed to really not like her. Feinstein and Durbin went after her because of her Catholic beliefs. I'm looking for info on her 2A beliefs.
One article said she unequivocally affirmed judges' duty to the Constitution and the law.

Her writings reflect an originalist view of the Constitution. She clerked for Scalia.

I've been trying to gleam more of how she feels specifically about the 2nd amendment, but it's pretty sparse. Having said that, she sounds excellent. And she's very young.

When it comes to the 2nd amendment, Kavanaugh seems to be the man, at least for the top contenders. Though I admittedly haven't looked at all of them.

Hmmm, what to do, what to do...Trump certainly has some thinking to do.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmmm, what to do, what to do...Trump certainly has some thinking to do.

It’s his job, and he wanted it!

Here’s an article discussing some of them. http://thefederalist.com/2018/...ely-replace-kennedy/

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Amy Coney Barrett

Posts: 6578 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Balze, I agree with what you are saying about Kavanaugh. I find it interesting Barrett was grilled for her belief the Court should not be bound by prior precedent if prior precedent does not square with the Constitution. There is a lot more to her opinions about that. It was interesting to read her mention Justice Scalia described himself as a "faint-hearted originalist."

Here is a link to a page that has a number of selected journal articles written by Amy Coney Barrett:

https://works.bepress.com/amy_barrett/

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Does the White House vet for physical health?

It would be a shame to get someone in there with a short life expectancy despite being relatively young.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
1. Barrett
2. Willett

Posts: 18381 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post