SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was very lucky last night : East Texas tornadoes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was very lucky last night : East Texas tornadoes Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Things got deathly quiet. Then all hell broke loose. I have no power, but very little damage. I only had to fix some fence this morning.

But some very close neighbors got hit hard. Roofs gone, barns flattened, trees on houses, etc. all within 1/4 mile of me. I watched the damn thing go by.

I was out til after midnight helping clear the county roads in my area. Just a bunch of neighbors with saws and tractors helping towards a common goal.

I have my generator running my fridge and freezer right now. I need to take it over to my boy’s place in a bit to cycle his appliances.

Tired and thankful today.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the neighbors, you just never know who is going to be in the path. Glad to hear you avoided getting hit.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wow not sure where in ETX you are, but all was quiet here in N Houston.
Grew up north of Beaumont & have seen some good storms.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Not fun, but it’s good to work with neighbors to get done what needs doing. Stay safe.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Yesterday afternoon here near Ft Worth, we had torrential rain, just constant, really hard rain for over an hour, then the skies cleared up with the winds blasting us. Sorry about your neighbors.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Wow not sure where in ETX you are, but all was quiet here in N Houston.
Grew up north of Beaumont & have seen some good storms.

Believe the Mt Pleasant area.

As many tornado sightings and circulation I figured ther was going to be all kinds of debris in the roads this morning on the way to work but there was none.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ah, far NE TX. Don't know that area well apart from where my company field office is in Kilgore.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Glad you dodged that one.

I grew up in the "tornado belt" of Michigan. One came through in '66 or '67 and took out several of our outbuildings but thankfully didn't damage anything vital.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search YouTube for new boston tornado 2022

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your place was spared. Sounds like you have some really good neighbors, too.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Practically every time a front moves in we have chances for tornadoes, hail and damaging winds. It gets really old knowing that at best your car could be totaled by hail or your home could be leveled to the ground in a few minutes. Spring time is an especially wild ride here.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Tampa and had regularly scheduled thunderstorms around 1600 daily…never gave it a second thought.

I’ve lived all over but since moving to TX I was confused why we get weather alerts WRT thunderstorms…in the last four years I’ve seen tornadoes spawn out of storms. Several times a town just south of me, Jarrell and Salado, have been hit by tornadoes…I dunno if it’s the topography (which is just flat) or God hates them….but I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

We had one when I was a cop in Wilson and many homes were destroyed but it was a once in a century thing…here it’s every year.

OP I’m glad you are ok. Do you have a shelter? Do you do anything special?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Search YouTube for new boston tornado 2022

Even more farther NE TX. Smile
After posting thought you were in Mt Pleasant area I got to thinking you were closer to Texarkana.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[originally posted by MikeinNC]; OP I’m glad you are ok. Do you have a shelter? Do you do anything special?

No shelter. It is a brick home on a slab. But we know that won’t stand up to Ma Nature when she’s really on a tear.
No preps other than what I basically grew up with. We have always had some equipment, a generator or two, and at least a couple weeks of fuel around. That was just “living” when I was growing up out here. I can filter water, provide power, and eat for quite a while. You could call me a “Prepper” but I’d say I just don’t like going to toe unless I have to. Big Grin
I have some pictures on my phone, I may post them after I get power and internet back. Got generators on my place and my boy’s place.