SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A big man passes - Rick Wagner of Plano TX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A big man passes - Rick Wagner of Plano TX Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
I've just learned this morning, via a Christmas card from his wife Karen, that my long-time good friend Rick Wagner, of Plano Texas, has passed away after a protracted period of ill-health. He was a big man in every way - not far off seven feet tall, but his hands were as skilled as any watchmaker, and he took great delight in making parts for guns, and even guns for parts, in a long life filled with them. I first encountered Rick on Lugerforum.com, at the turn of the century, and found in him a kindred spirit who did not suffer fools, but was ever-ready and willing to share his experiences, knowledge and skills to the benefit of others less able than he was - that is to say, the vast majority of us.

He loved his garden and the bird-life that constantly filled it - he loved his huge collection of Coca-Cola memorabilia, but not so much that he hesitated to give me one of his precious 'dancing polar-bear in a wind-up bottle' many years back. He loved his flowers, too, and we often swapped pictures of our success, or lack of it, in their regard. He loved his Corvettes, too, one of the few cars that he could actually get comfortable enough to drive without his knees around his ears, he once noted.

He loved his guns, almost as much as a native Texan - he was from Oklahoma - and we had long internet talks about all of these things.

And now he's gone.

I'll miss him and our latterly infrequent talks - a lot. He had told me that he was ailing, and that things were getting a mite tough for him to do, but even so, the news came as a sudden and unwelcome shock. Like the song, 'I always thought that I'd see you again'. But now, I won't.

To his beloved wife of many years, Karen, go the deepest sympathies of me and Mrs tac.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences, he sounds like a very nice friend.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you and Mrs Tac

He sounds like he was a fine friend. If you’re lucky you get one like him.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you and to his family. He sounds like a great guy. Just up the road a short distance, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear this.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
God rest his soul, and solace to Mr. Wagner's loved ones. My condolences, Mr. Tac.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
May your friend Rest in Peace. Prayer said for family and friends.

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys. I'm writing Karen right now and I'll be sure to tell her about your kind comments.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another Great American bound for greener pasture and happy hunting grounds. May God bless him and may he RIP.

Sorry for the loss of your friend Tac and do give his wife our condolences.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
My condolences tac.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tac, sorry to hear you've lost a friend and kindred spirit. As we grow old, these losses become more frequent and painful. My condolences to all concerned.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Sir, I truly hope your family and those impacted find peace during this trying time.

I will have a coke and toast to the memoey of Mr. Wagner....

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you and Mrs. tac. and to Karen. it's really tough to loose a good friend

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post