SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new 50-year old camera
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new 50-year old camera Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've been looking for a little film rangefinder camera for a while now, and came across this in the local classifieds:

I bought it, and when I got home, I discovered that the focus was broken. Well, the focus works, but the rangefinder is not calibrated, so trying to focus by looking through the viewfinder is futile. I thought I could adjust the rangefinder, but no luck. It appears a previous owner tried, and failed, and in the process jammed the rangefinder adjustment screw.

So, what to do? I decided to rely on 'hyperfocal distance'. What that means is by selecting a large f-number (ie: f11, f22), I could compute the distance I would need to focus to ensure as much of the scene was sharp as possible. So, I printed out a little chart of hyperfocal distances, and whenever I wanted to take a picture, I would adjust the lens until I was close to that distance (the lens has a foot and meter scale to help).

Next problem with the camera - the meter was not correct. So, I had to trick the meter by rating the film several stops lower than the manufacturers recommended rating. That got me in the ballpark for most shots.

So, I have a camera I can't focus, and a meter that's iffy at best, but I took it on a little trip my wife and I went on to Durango and Silverton, and loved using it.

Here are some shots I took with this little 'gem'. All of these were taken on Ilford HP5+, and developed in Kodak HC-110.

I'm still learning the art of scanning negatives, so these ended up looking a little rough --- too much sharpening, dusty scanner bed etc. I really need to figure out how to scan for the skies. They look horrible in these pictures.

Not too bad for a camera I paid $35 for, although I may have to send it off for repair.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4x5,

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Thos pictures are quite a bit blurry.

:-) Just yanking your chain.

Just reading your post, I was asking "why bother?" With all the things broken, the work arounds, etc.

Then I saw your pictures.

Very, very, very nice.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Suprised you can still find film in this digital age.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Makes me want to break out my old Nikkormat.

Silent

Posts: 1027 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I loved shooting B&W film. Just loved it.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Me too! I used to shoot a lot of Ilford films. I saved the HC110 for Tri X.

quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Suprised you can still find film in this digital age.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I still have my Minolta Hi-matic F, which looks and operates a lot like yours. It is 42 years old.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Beautiful camera. A broken camera is as good an excuse as any to buy more tools. Wink

This morning I will look at a 55 year old Harmony guitar with a cracked body. They want $200. Already I'm set at $40 offer but may go to $60. Garage sale, $12 offer, $20 max.

Heirloom instruments can be the most difficult on which to get a deal. The value of history is variable according to user/owner experience.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Neat camera! Looks to be about the same size as a Leica CL – I've long drooled over that little gem. But for me, the age of film has passed – a CL would be a safe queen.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

I'm still learning the art of scanning negatives

What do you use to scan? I used to use a Coolscan 9000 to scan 6x7 negatives. I wonder if 6x7 film is still available.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

I'm still learning the art of scanning negatives

What do you use to scan? I used to use a Coolscan 9000 to scan 6x7 negatives. I wonder if 6x7 film is still available.

I have a big Epson scanner (4800 series) that I bought used about 10 years ago. It's one of the few scanners that will scan 4x5 film which is all I used to shoot. The scanner glass on the underside is a little dusty and has some residue on it, but I know if I tear into it with a screwdriver, I'll never get it together again, so I live with it.

Yes, you can buy film for your 6x7 camera. 120 and 220 roll film can still be found on Amazon or at Freestyle.biz.

I don't know if I can get used to looking at these dinky little 35mm negatives Smile Coming from 4x5, they sure are small. 6x7 would be a nice size, too.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
What kind of 4x5 did you use?

I have a Sinar F.

120 and 220 film are readily available at B&H Photo. Link

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
What kind of 4x5 did you use?

I have a Sinar F.

I use a Toyo 45AX field camera:

It's just not as much fun to lug around as when I was younger. Wasn't it Ansel Adams who said something to the effect of 'if it's further than 100 yards from the car, it's not scenic'? Big Grin

Do you still use your Sinar? Those are great camera systems. You should take it out again sometime - it's good for the soul.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I have an Olympus XA rangefinder among a few others. Olympus makes some really great glass, your results considering the handicaps are great. Will post some of mine later.

Posts: 3574 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
In the past dozen years as older Family members have passed, I have ended up with a few print cameras. A Rollei 35 and a nice 1960's Nikon F. Already have another Nikon F that I bought for myself in the early 1970's.

I like the old cameras and have looked at buying an old Hasselblad simply because I lusted after them when I was a camera nut forty years back. Only issue the market isn't all that low for them. they still command some high prices.

I like the old gear, but the new stuff is SO MUCH easier to use and simply better.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. You are making me want to start playing with film again. Digital just isn't the same.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post