SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Wintergatan Musical Instrument
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wintergatan Musical Instrument Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted

Not only does Martin Molin write and play the music, he designs and builds the instruments.

Martin is currently building another marble machine that is an order of magnitude more complex. Follow its development at the Wintergatan channel on Youtube and the Wintergatan Website.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32046 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the best. The adventure he's having making the new one is great to watch.

There's a chance I'd go to see them in person if the tour comes to Seattle.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13498 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
So it plays ONE tune??

More variety on a kazoo.... Razz

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
So it plays ONE tune??

More variety on a kazoo.... Razz

No.

The rotating drum shown at 1:29 is programmablish by resetting the metal pins.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32046 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wow. I clicked on the link and then disappeared down the rabbit hole for an hour.

That guy is a freakin' genius!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15521 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
He's obviously pretty good at programming that computer-driven wood cutter! Making perfect gears with one can't be all that easy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I wonder what came first...him or Animusic?

I bought the Animusic DVD about 10 years ago.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I believe I saw in one of his videos that the Animusic video was an inspiration for his marble machine.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Amazing. Thank you.

But now where’s the obligatory comment about someone with “too much time on his hands” by a poster whose idea of creativity is to put vodka rather than gin in his martini? Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47716 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I believe I saw in one of his videos that the Animusic video was an inspiration for his marble machine.

At 8:30 he mentions it and shows some antique music machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAVajTZHCs

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13498 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes me shake my head in awe (in between smiles and snorts). Incredible talent and ingenuity.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The human creature is an amazing animal. Marble music machines, landing on the moon, physics, it's incredible. Then there's people like me, we're just along for the ride.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post