SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is Parler and MeWe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is Parler and MeWe? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

It is my understanding that millions of Americans have gotten rid of their Facebook and Twitter accounts after the recent presidential election and transitioned to the fledgling Parler and MeWe social media platforms. I have not done any investigation into them yet. For those who are now on these platforms, can you please explain how they work, what the content/format is like, and what the benefits are? I have anecdotally heard they are "freer" platforms with none of the conservative censoring. I am considering the same switch. Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Pretty much as you stated.

Parler is similar to Twitter, and MeWe is similar to FB.

But smaller companies, and less restrictive ToS and "censoring".

But, I am not a "social media" type.
Most all I do is forums I can count on one hand and have fingers left over.

The "innerwez" sez, that MeWe CEO is a libertarian, and the Parler ownership is conservitive.

-grainofsaltmonkey

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Pretty much as you stated.

Parler is similar to Twitter, and MeWe is similar to FB.

But smaller companies, and less restrictive ToS and "censoring".

But, I am not a "social media" type.
Most all I do is forums I can count on one hand and have fingers left over.

The "innerwez" sez, that MeWe CEO is a libertarian, and the Parler ownership is conservative.

-grainofsaltmonkey

Trump should buy both, call it TRUMPET and develop the platform for FREE speech - ... preferably in another four years after he is out of office or just let Don Jr. do it.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
.......MeWe is similar to FB........

Which is kind of like MySpace.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've never been to MeWe, but I understand that when Tumblr did away with adult content a lot of them folks went there.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I've been on Parler only a few days, and don't see "regular" people posting anything. Seeing the same stuff over and over, but there's a good chance I don't know how to use it.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
mikeyspizza--
I'm seeing the same thing. I follow a relatively small number of conservative commentators such as Mark Levin; but I get waaaaaay too many notifications, so I'm going to turn that off.
Most of what I see when I scroll through is people trying to get followers. So far I am not impressed.
I'm waiting for the "twitchy" version of Parler.

I guess I still have better uses of my time.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post