SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bench Grinder Advice Needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bench Grinder Advice Needed Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I came into possession of a used Sears Craftsman benchtop grinder 6-inch size (also known as a pedestal grinder) a couple of years ago. Now it's time to get it cleaned up and mounted. It's filthy and there is gunk inside the enclosure around the grinding wheels. I'll get that taken care of. Label says made in china. When I power it on it runs smoothly and quietly and when I shut it off it continues to turn for a good period of time before it stops, so I'd say it has good bearings in it. I *think* it's about a 2005-ish model.

It has 2 wheels and one power switch, both wheels turn when powered on. One side has a grinding wheel and the other has a cloth type buffing wheel.

Unfortunately one of the bench rest things, the piece you rest your fingers or the tool itself when grinding to control it, is missing. The other side is complete and easily adjustable. I've searched online for a replacement and it seems none are available for this model. If I had a metal cutting bandsaw and a welder I could fabricate one, but I don't own either.

I see there are replacements, sort of, that can attach to the work bench and adjust, and I'm not sure how good or safe that is, but that's around $60-ish bucks. I can buy a new complete bench grinder around $100 bucks or so.

I really don't want to use the one side without a bench rest.

Ironically I have a brand new in the box, unopened, Sears Craftsman bench grinder purchased new in 1994 that I also intend to get mounted on a bench and used. I think it would be good to have one set up with buffing wheels and the other set up with a wire brush and a grinding wheel. That would make it so much easier and quicker to get something done without having to take the time to switch out wheels depending on the task at hand.

I'm just really trying to figure out if I can use the one I first described in a safe manner, or should I dump it off and just buy another.

Any ideas and advice for me? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use the first with the buffing wheels. Remove both tool rests. Safer without them.

Use the new one, with the tool rests, with the grinding wheels.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I acquired a used industrial mid-sized grinder about 10 years ago. I use the tool rest on the grinder wheel side, I find it's important for more accurate control, and safer.

On the wire brush side there is no tool rest. A wire brush is more forgiving, to a point, unless you really try to force the workpiece at an angle where the wire bristles "bite-in". In my experience, for parts I clean on the wire brush, a tool rest tends to get in the way sometimes.

Whatever you decide is best for you, I was taught years ago that it is a good practice to stand off to one side when you first start up the grinder. The thought is that a grinder wheel is more likely to come apart/explode when it is coming up to speed, rather than during use. I've not had one do that yet, but a little precaution goes a long way.

Also, I keep a heavy denim work shirt hanging close to the grinder for times when I will be using the wire brush. It's amazing how fast those bristles fly off the wheel and embed into clothing. And, while the plastic transparent safety covers can be a nuisance to keep clean, and do get scuffed up pretty quickly, they keep much of that debris from hitting the operator.

Just my experiences.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Use the first with the buffing wheels. Remove both tool rests. Safer without them.

Use the new one, with the tool rests, with the grinding wheels.

This, with eye protection and a heavy shirt.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't use the tool rests on my grinder but I can see the benefit.
I have considered the "dual" grinder method with buffers on on and grinder/wire wheel on the other but I am out of tool space.
It is a GREAT idea and since you have both tools already then it is a no brainer and the way to go.
Now go get to work! Smile

Posts: 22936 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm in the 1/6 HP camp. Buffing sterling silver bangles, it's easy to lose a finger with more powerful bench grinders.

Ears / eyes / lungs all protected, every time.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post