SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    where to buy an antenna tower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where to buy an antenna tower Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So looking at various property listings I see external TV antenna towers. Usually mounted next to a building. Where can I buy.
My application is for a tv antenna. I do not want to pole mount or do I want a bunch or attachment points on the building. I am thinking something like 25-30' or so. These seemed to be common in the 30's, 40's and 50's

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19231 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Not specifically TV, but this site has treated me well over the years:

DX Engineering

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 987 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
A free-standing, thirty foot tower is going to be fairly substantial. It won't be cheap, unless you can find a "free to a good home--just come and get it" thing. It will require a base in a fairly substantial bit of concrete. It will be a job getting it erected.

Last one I helped erect, many, many years ago: The tower was assembled on the ground, fastened two of the three tower legs to the base--as a hinge, ran a big ol' rope over the house with something to protect the shingles on the ridge, secured the rope to a vehicle hitch, hauled it partway up, mounted antenna and rotor, and secured the cabling to the tower, carefully hauled the tower erect (there was a crew on ropes opposing), inserted the third bolt, and tightened all three.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've put up a couple of Rohn 25 towers for myself and others. Pretty simple but depending on where you live, you may need a permit to make it legal...if that interests you.

Also, I'd check into the specs before going too far. Here are specs for the Rohn 25 towers.

https://www.3starinc.com/the-r...nications-tower.html

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I built a 35’ tower using a company called Talley located in SoCal.

The most expensive part was the digging, concrete, rebar and the tower embed for the base.

Posts: 53228 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:

DX Engineering

100% vouch. My friend Tim Duffy, K3LR, runs DX Engineering. Deal with them in confidence, no worries.

Depending on where you live, if you are near a HamRadioOutlet store, they are also very good.

EDIT TO ADD: There are usually some used towers needing removal. Old Hams die off, etc, and no one will use it again. To do this, you'll need someone to dismantle and remove the tower. Other Hams do this for others, but you'll have to check with some current Hams in your area that know of one, and get a few Hams to get it done, then take it to your property, and work with you to get it reinstalled.

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
A free-standing, thirty foot tower is going to be fairly substantial. It won't be cheap, unless you can find a "free to a good home--just come and get it" thing. It will require a base in a fairly substantial bit of concrete. It will be a job getting it erected.

For anyone who's been in the business, a simple 30' tower is a walk in the park.

A couple hours work and you can have anything up to 68' erected on site. That is, of course, after the base is set. Another hour or so to dig and set base in concrete.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yep, I also believe you can find someone around town with a tower that just wants it gone. At least that is how I got my 30' tower that my CB antenna sits on. Talk to some local junkers around town, they may even have one sitting around you can buy for cheap.

They are kind of an uncommon thing, at least lately with all the new fangled satellite and wifi devices and such. But, they can still be found out there. New ones are out of control on price, used is the way to go. Might need a little TLC, but what doesn't?

Good luck in your quest!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:

DX Engineering

Yep, DX Engineering.

Awake not woke

Posts: 573 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 3Star close to me and was able to hookup my trailer and drive to their location for a Rohn 25G tower. They were good to work with.

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: August 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
A good antenna tower safety review would help avoid any antenna being blown onto your home with the tower due to high winds.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5061 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Got my trianglur one at a local ham radio shop.
Best price around

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I built a custom home for a soon to be retired Mobil executive who was a HAM radio nut. He chose a tract of land that had a large hill.

We installed a retractable ham radio tower that extended up to 75 ft if I remember correctly.

Here is an example of what I’m talking about…

http://www.heightstowers.com/telescoping-towers.html

I will tell you that the foundation required engineering drawings that the company provided but we had to fabricate a rebar cage that cost about a grand and it took 9 yards of concrete for the foundation…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Great information. As usual Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19231 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And consider a lightening mitigation system while you are at it

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
You will need a 3ft x 3ft x 3ft hole with concrete this would support a 30 to 40ft free standing above ground tower without guy line cables and or anchoring to house.. most tower sections are approx 10ft lengths.... place at least 2 feet into concrete with a couple of inches of gravel for drainage.... stack tower after concrete has set or possibly stand stacked tower then pour concrete if you have several bodies to help stand it up assembled..... 30ft should free stand unless you live in a high wind area. ... Buying new tower sections from a supplier will not be cheap.... used sections maybe $50.... but free if you take down is better but you will need experienced help..... towers already standing can be a hazard due to rusted legs at ground level to colapse when trying to take down. Trust me on this because have seen it happen with a buddy riding down a 35ft section resulting in a broken leg / broken pelvis and spent several weeks in hospital after a medivac chopper flight from tower sight to hospital. ...Check local ordinaces for possible building code requirements and or permits. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2023 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And consider a lightening mitigation system while you are at it

Ground the tower and he'll be GTG.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post