SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LED bulbs that mimic Incandescent bulbs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED bulbs that mimic Incandescent bulbs? Login/Join 
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted
I’m searching for LED bulbs that look similar to the warmth of traditional 75 watt incandescent light bulbs. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
LED bulbs come in different temperatures called Kalvin. This is the color from about 2500 which is warm to 5000 which is daylight(very white)

If you want to old warm style find LED's around 3000K or less. Often referred to as warm light on the packaging.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There are bulbs that have a little dial in the base where you can adjust the color temp. Like these on Amazon.

Posts: 6504 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
2800K - 3000K (Kelvin) Color Temp to accurately replicate most incandescent lamps IMO. 2700K is usually too low and not quite there unless is the LED Bulb has a 90+ CRI rating (Color Rendering Index). CREE Bulbs have a very high CRI and their 2700K Bulbs look perfect.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8946 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Also check not only the color temperature but also look at the output equivalent. You can find decorator style LEDs that mimic the old glass bulbs and they’re very good. Just a few watts should do you.

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. 3000K or less is what you're after.

In my house, the main areas and master bedroom all have dual lighting, with lighting fixtures plus recessed lighting, each on their own switches.

I have 2700K LED bulbs in the fixtures, while the recessed LED lights are 5000K.

I use the warmer light fixtures most of the time, and flip on the cooler/brighter lights when doing something that requires precision, or when deep cleaning.

Posts: 32546 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Great information! Thanks so much!

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with GE Reveal LED "HD Light" bulbs. I use these throughout my house. For example:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Re...lb-2-Pack/1002097688

Posts: 2337 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recently moved into a new home and my dad, who's hard of seeing and hearing, wanted everything super-bright. The dining room and kitchen looked like a hospital room or a clinic, meals resulted in a full stomach and a headache for dessert.

We changed the bulbs to the adjustable color types.

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m searching for LED bulbs that look similar to the warmth of traditional 75 watt incandescent light bulbs. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

I've had good luck with "Warm White" or "Soft White" LED bulbs, usually around 2700K. They tend to mimic the warmth of traditional 75-watt incandescent bulbs quite well. Where you plan to use them is key; for instance, in my small apartment, I wanted a bright yet warm light, which was a bit of a challenge to find. It took me a while, but I stumbled upon leds.to , which offers great tips and might help you find the right model for your needs. They have a variety of options and their guidance was pretty spot-on for what I was looking for in my space.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mac_220,

in the 'Merica Navy they teach you to go pew pew pew...
Luckily in the PNW they taught me to go BANG BANG BANG

Posts: 48 | Registered: November 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I read up a while back and Philips LED bulb had really good ratings and I have been using them with very good luck.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
LED bulbs that mimic Incandescent bulbs

A few years ago I had access to an optical spectrometer in a lab that I used to work in. The spectrometer costs like $30k and was calibrated to NIST standards.

We looked at MANY LED lights, and also a few incandescents. Trust me when I say that none of the LED bulbs are really like incandescents.

They may fool your eyes, but the numbers from the analysis showed something very different. While the incandescents showed a smooth ramped line of energy from blue to red, the LED lights were very spikey, with huge amounts of energy in very few color areas. Not what I would call any type of "white" in the true sense. But it fools your eye.

That said, the CFL's were even less like incandescent bulbs.

Just thought I'd toss that into the mix. carry on.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10932 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
You're looking for a high CRI bulb at around 2700k color temperature.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3517 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
So you are looking for a trans-lucent LED bulb?!

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Personally, from my real world experience LEDs still suck for longevity. I bought a bunch of CREE bulbs around 2019, I write the date on my bulbs, and recently many have begun to fail only after a few years. These bulbs were supposed to get 11 years of life and I'm not even getting half of that.

Keep It Simple Stupid, no reason for a microcontroller in a freaking light bulb. Technology that fails to deliver from my POV for general purpose lighting.

BTW...several years back I met a PhD from one of our big national labs at a conference and he had been studying LED bulbs based on manufacturer. He said there are basically three tiers: and only the top tier was even worth considering to buy. Stick with the BIG U.S. brand names if you go this route as a general rule.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
no reason for a microcontroller in a freaking light bulb. Technology that fails to deliver from my POV for general purpose lighting.

Amen, brother. These things are ridiculous.

God bless America.

Posts: 13518 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post