SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Here Likes Shishito Peppers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Here Likes Shishito Peppers? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Holy crap they are my new favorite thing!

Had these last week in Virginia Beach at a brewpub; grilled Shishitos with a ginger remoulade. DELISH

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of them.
Where are they on the taste profile?

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photo! Any flavor description? Heat range relative to Jalapeños?

I’ve never heard of that kind. But I just opened a package of Henning’s Cheddar flavored with Hatch chiles that’s wonderfully good – fairly mild heat. I’ll be having some on Triscuits shortly. Yum!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
They sounds like they're named appropriately.

Posts: 534 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Thanks for the photo! Any flavor description? Heat range relative to Jalapeños?

I’ve never heard of that kind. But I just opened a package of Henning’s Cheddar flavored with Hatch chiles that’s wonderfully good – fairly mild heat. I’ll be having some on Triscuits shortly. Yum!

I just recently roasted and froze about 6 pounds of Hatch peppers to use over the next year.

As far as these peppers, I have never heard of them. I quick search says only 1 in 10-20 are hot and they seem to be roasted and served with a sauce as an appetizer, but I can’t find a flavor description. Every pepper has a certain flavor profile. I would think these must be good to be an appetizer, but where to find them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
They sounds like they're named appropriately.

Haha! I thought the same thing! Apparently it is because at least according to Wikipedia
The name refers to the fact that the tip of the chili pepper (唐辛子, tōgarashi) looks like the lion (獅子, shishi) head; in Japanese, it is often abbreviated as shishitō.[2]

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
My family LOVES them, I roast them with olive oil, kosher salt, and a squeeze of lime. Made that way they taste like a spicy, charred green pepper but the pepper texture is nothing like that, more like a peppercini (that tastes like a hot(temp cause roasted eaten hot) slightly hot (pepper heat scale) charred salted and lime juiced green pepper. I think they are amazing. I get them from Costco or Hmart (Korean grocery superstore brand).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1963 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
To me, they are rich like poblanos. Not much heat. I like them.

Posts: 395 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Never heard of them.
Where are they on the taste profile?

Well they’re just a bit warm, like a very, very mild jalapeño but then every so often you hit a pretty hot one and that’s part of the fun of eating a plate of them. They’ve been a thing in Japan forever as a bar snack and have been showing up over here more.

I love ‘em, could just eat them as a meal they’re so good.

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have them all the time when in season. Several times a week.

Quick fried with katsuboshi and salt. Raw dipped in kochijang mixed with honey, diced scallions, sesame oil. Diced ham and shishito omelette. Included in salsa (like salsa verde). Many, many ways to enjoy.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
A local steakhouse had them for an appetizer and we loved them. Sort of a gamble on the heat, some very mild and sometimes one with a little kick. If I find them in the supermarket I buy them and make them at home. Good stuff.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
There's never enough for me, I love them.

I cook them from time to time, but typically order when I see on a menu.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Had these last week in Virginia Beach at a brewpub

Which one? Going down in a week or so and always down to try new spot. Those look good.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

typically order when I see on a menu.
Any place around here that serves them?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Had these last week in Virginia Beach at a brewpub

Which one? Going down in a week or so and always down to try new spot. Those look good.

New Realm Brewing Company

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
New Realm Brewing Company

Awesome. Can't wait.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
So I want to try these as I love any and all peppers. I have never seen them in my grocery store in my local Texas stores. Are they available only in certain places, online, certain times of year, etc? Inquiring taste buds need to know now…LOL.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Try an Asian market.

We can get them at the Japanese market we go to, but there is a Korean one farther away that has better prices... go figure Roll Eyes

i blister them in a very hot pan with a little high temperature oil (veggie) and hit them with coarse salt from the grinder, once they get going.

It's said that about every tenth one is quite spicy, but that might be a little bit optimistic.

They are very addictive, so please use caution Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
It can be a game of pepper roulette. About 1 in 10 are “hot”. Kind of comparable to a jalapeño. But that kick does catch you by surprise when you have been eating a bunch of mild ones.

I buy them all the time at Whole Foods and my local Hannaford.

My preference for cooking them is to throw them in the grill and give them a light roast.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post