SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Is there any objective/scientific/historical material regarding the safety of neck knife carry ? Is the pointy end of a knife pointing at your jugular vein a safety issue ? Can one fall a certain way and the knife end up stuck in your throat accidentally ? I'm sure it's OK, but I'd rather read about it to understand HOW it's ok to carry like that.

I'd not be worried about impalement as much as choking. I suggest anything hung around your neck have the proverbial "weak link" so that it does not become a choking hazard. That nifty 550 cord can become a garrote too easily, whether through accidental entanglement, or if you are grappling and need that knife - the miscreant could grab on and you are done.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FD, in the post right above this one, summed up exactly my fears in carrying a "neck knife." I think it far more likely to end up in a physical confrontation before knives or guns are even considered, let alone deployed, and having that nice piece of paracord around my neck seems to be an invitation for the other participant to grab it and pull or twist and-well it just doesn't seem to be something I want to chance.

I don't carry a knife on my ankle, either, as I am older and pretty stiff and getting to it would be very slow for me whether I needed it for self defense or just to cut a piece of line. 10 o'clock behind the belt seems to be best for me.

If I was a little more limber, perhaps the ankle, but I'm just not.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My big need for knife coverage at the moment (given the state laws) is for a small fixed blade that could be slipped into a hip pocket when going to the door. I'm considering the Cold Steel SRK-C; in the meantime I have a Helle puuko style blade bought as a keepsake 20 years ago that's been pressed into service for that need. Two smaller folders (one's a Cold Steel Grik) should arrive tomorrow.

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...dle-secure-ex-sheath

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
For years, I carried an Applegate Fairbairn knife, it’s balance was incomparable in a production knife. As a fighting instrument, it is a graceful and lively blade.

Seems to be somewhat comparable in size to the Cold Steel. The Falknivens you own don’t suffice?

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
For years, I carried an Applegate Fairbairn knife, it’s balance was incomparable in a production knife. As a fighting instrument, it is a graceful and lively blade.

Seems to be somewhat comparable in size to the Cold Steel. The Falknivens you own don’t suffice?

Some are too difficult to open one-handed (folders), Ka-bars and others are a little large. The Grik arrived today, I may have gotten one made first thing on a Monday morning after a holiday weekend celebration with drinking involved. Sheath for the Helle is very sticky, may silicone it; I love that little knife, it's about the right size but .5" more blade wouldn't hurt.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would respectfully suggest that anyone considering a fixed blade knife consider the ability for that knife to be used to help you exit a room (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-squeegee-handle-became-life-saving-tool-september-11-2001-180951515/), cut a seat belt (https://www.newsweek.com/missouri-man-missing-week-alive-wrecked-car-ravine-kansas-1466161), and prepare wood/strike a ferro rod (https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/spring-news/article/No-giving-up-Spring-man-stranded-in-the-woods-14133667.php). A fixed blade knife that can do these things /and/ serve as a fighting implement is a knife worth carrying always.

(For what it's worth, I have found the ESEE Izula II to be handy when the spine is filed to a 90 degree edge and the spine's coating is removed to strike a rod. I also am a fan of carrying a Victorinox Hiker with a Firefly ferro rod, just for peace of mind.)

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Is there any objective/scientific/historical material regarding the safety of neck knife carry ? Is the pointy end of a knife pointing at your jugular vein a safety issue ? Can one fall a certain way and the knife end up stuck in your throat accidentally ? I'm sure it's OK, but I'd rather read about it to understand HOW it's ok to carry like that.

I'd not be worried about impalement as much as choking. I suggest anything hung around your neck have the proverbial "weak link" so that it does not become a choking hazard. That nifty 550 cord can become a garrote too easily, whether through accidental entanglement, or if you are grappling and need that knife - the miscreant could grab on and you are done.

Very much this. Don't make an attacker's job easier. No ties that aren't clip on, no non-breakaway stuff.

I don't wear ties anymore, anyway.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Metal bead neckchains, like for dogtags are what I see the most of.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5642 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Metal bead neckchains, like for dogtags are what I see the most of.

Yeah, every neck knife I own came with one of those types of chains.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread has been costly. I just ordered a SOG Kiku 4.1 inch fixed blade. That should do nicely as well as my other choices.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:

(For what it's worth, I have found the ESEE Izula II to be handy when the spine is filed to a 90 degree edge and the spine's coating is removed to strike a rod. I also am a fan of carrying a Victorinox Hiker with a Firefly ferro rod, just for peace of mind.)

This thread has got me seriously considering picking up an Izula.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Good thread. The fixed blade I received as part of a very generous karma offering here last year is now in my backpack. Generally speaking locations I work make concealed carry difficult without running risk of termination. Yeah, shitty gig, I know, but it's only part of the day!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
How about getting a smaller Victorinox? Super cheap, disposable, easy to carry, will not elicit a "hey look he has a knife!" reaction? It can be used to cut apples, pears, open envelopes, slice grapes, slash beef, and other activities. Looks better in court - ie you weren't planning to have to use a knife, you just had to use what you had on you.

$25 https://www.etsy.com/listing/5...ds?ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
"hey look he has a knife!"

Nick, give him your wallet.

What for?

He's got a knife.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mm_shooter:
How about getting a smaller Victorinox? Super cheap, disposable, easy to carry, will not elicit a "hey look he has a knife!" reaction? It can be used to cut apples, pears, open envelopes, slice grapes, slash beef, and other activities. Looks better in court - ie you weren't planning to have to use a knife, you just had to use what you had on you.

$25 https://www.etsy.com/listing/5...ds?ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

Not as inexpensive by a long shot but along the same thinking is this Case Desk Knife. Maybe you can't have a knife in the office but how about a letter opener? My Case Desk knife is natural smooth bone riveted handled. There are a variety of handle materials available. The steel is a full tang 154CM mirror polished 3" Wharncliffe blade, this one shaving sharp. 6 1/8" overall. The fitted palomino leather sheath (this one slightly darkened by leather treatment) lays flat on the desk. No loop on the back or slots or anything. It's a desk knife. Checking the mail and opening packages is fun again. Just a great little office utility knife. My only "complaint" is I wish the handle was a little thicker. With both (flat) scales and the full tang, the handle is only about 5/16" thick.

EDIT to add side view. Same sheath different lighting and lighting angle ...

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the entire thread yet. But the Glock Field Knife fits your criteria.

Inexpensive. Tough as nails. Takes a good edge too for a blade this thick.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I carried a neck knife and my dog tags when in the military I used the bead necklace inside an outer paracord sheath. I cut the paracord every 3-4" to provide break points for the chain.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para, Just pulled the trigger on the Cold Steel blade you mentioned.... and put two more fixed blades on my wish list.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
well, this thread has inspired me to name this new fixed blade model the Riot Act. now to decide what type of finish and handle for this little meanie. it is AEB-L stainless with 60 Rc hardness with Cryo treatment. it should be a tough little pocket monster.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like that blade profile. ^

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post