SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Okay, to summarize, I should be okay with:
1. ESEE flat profile G10 or micarta; avoid ESEE G10 3D.
2. TKC G10 or micarta are good to go.
To be clear, ESEE does not offer their 3D scales for sale separately at this time. You can buy them only on certain models of their knives. IIRC, ESEE has stated that they may offer these scales for sale in the future.

Some of these 3D scales are excellent- for instance, here's a pair of them in canvas micarta on this beast of a knife, an ESEE-5. These particular scales feel fantastic in the hand, and part of it has to do with the surface texture, which is a world of difference from the glass-slick 3D scales on the S35VN version of the ESEE-3. On my copy of that knife, I installed a set of the TKC G-10 scales in black. Looks great, feels great, and very secure in the hand.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Good to know that the 3D scales on the 1095 ESEE are good. I got one of them (ESEE 4 1095 with 3D micarta) - not sure if it's the his or hers yet.

I see a lot of pics with paracard on the pommel. Is that a standard thing to do? I assume that you put your wrist through the loop so that you don't lose the knife while using it?

Or is it something to aid retention when sheathed?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's always good to have a bit of cordage accompanying a survival knife, and the ESEE-5, without any doubt whatsoever, meets the definition of a survival knife.

You may notice that the way I have the lanyard attached to my knife, it can be removed in a matter of seconds. So, if you need it- for instance, if you are using the knife over water or at some height where dropping it would cause you to lose it- then, you have it. And, in other instances, where it might get in the way- for instance, when using it around machinery which has moving parts that might grab this cordage- then, you can take it off.

In your case, when you're talking about mounting a knife tip-up on the strap of a backpack, a lanyard is not desireable IMO. It's just going to get in the way and increase the possibility that the knife might get pulled from its sheath by accident. You could have a lanyard ready for your knife, but stowed away in your pack.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
To be clear, ESEE does not offer their 3D scales for sale separately at this time. You can buy them only on certain models of their knives. IIRC, ESEE has stated that they may offer these scales for sale in the future.

Some of these 3D scales are excellent- for instance, here's a pair of them in canvas micarta on this beast of a knife, an ESEE-5. These particular scales feel fantastic in the hand, and part of it has to do with the surface texture, which is a world of difference from the glass-slick 3D scales on the S35VN version of the ESEE-3. On my copy of that knife, I installed a set of the TKC G-10 scales in black. Looks great, feels great, and very secure in the hand.

That is a really good looking knife, and the scales look "grippy". How would they be if your hand was sweaty? Have enough texture to them to keep your palm from shifting around with the sweat? I take care of my knives, but use them as tools sometimes, and have almost sliced into a finger or two if my grip slipped while I was doing something stupid because it was handy.

Long story short, I like everything about that knife.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
That is a really good looking knife, and the scales look "grippy". How would they be if your hand was sweaty? Have enough texture to them to keep your palm from shifting around with the sweat?
Probably, but, if not, that's what the lanyard is for.

There are different types of micarta. Canvas micarta can be polished, but not to a high degree like, say, linen micarta, and canvas micarta is great for retention when left unpolished and with some additional surface texture applied, and that's what you see in that photo.

Here's a very large pic which gives you an idea of the texture of these scales: https://assets.katogroup.eu/i/...D-017_04_esee-knives

That pic also shows you the 1/4" thickness of the ESEE-5. No knife or tool is unbreakable, but in field use of the ESEE-5, they come as close to unbreakable as any knife in existence.

Needless to say that in terms of the original subject of this thread, the ESEE-5 is off the list. No one I know of is going to conceal-carry an ESEE-5 for defense. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
That is a really good looking knife, and the scales look "grippy". How would they be if your hand was sweaty? Have enough texture to them to keep your palm from shifting around with the sweat?
Probably, but, if not, that's what the lanyard is for.

Needless to say that in terms of the original subject of this thread, the ESEE-5 is off the list. No one I know of is going to conceal-carry an ESEE-5 for defense. Wink

Did not realize how big that knife is. I don't need it, but I still really want it. Now to talk myself into justifying it. Thanks for the info and the pic. Made me want it even more. But yeah, that's a big knife.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you want one of this particular model, Knifeworks has them in stock at 149.95 and free shipping.

https://knifeworks.com/esee-5-...-black-kydex-sheath/

The ESEE-5 was designed an an aircrew survival knife, along the lines of the ASEK. The Gerber LMF-II is intended for the same role. I keep an LMF-II under the seat of my truck, but an ESEE-5 would serve as well.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Para for the link. I think I talked myself into the ESEE-5. Appreciate the feedback and info.

Made me remember how I liked collecting knives when I was a kid. Now if I could find my collection. Sure they are in storage somewhere with all the other crap I had from childhood. Had some pretty good knives for a kid. One that fits this thread perfectly was a Gerber boot knife, I think a Mark I. I remember saving my money up to buy it, and I am sure it’s with the other knives I can’t find. Have its big brother, although not a Gerber, but clone of the Gerber Mark II. It is the Explorer MM-IV, cool knife and great copy of the original but big like the ESEE-5.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Just for reference here are some pictures of an ESEE-5 with a 4, 3, Xancudo and a Candiru. The 3 was my favorite for a long time but the Xancudo is my new favorite ESEE. You can see that the 5 is quite a bit larger and has a thicker blade.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Very nice set. If I were to guess, micarta handles all except g10 3D on the Xancudo?

Dumb question: utility of small fixed vs locking folder?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice set. If I were to guess, micarta handles all except g10 3D on the Xancudo?

Dumb question: utility of small fixed vs locking folder?

Yeah, all micarta except the Xancudo. I have a bunch of ESEE knives and have a 3 and a 4 with G10 handles which I prefer over the micarta. Those were just the first ones I grabbed for the pictures.

I also have an Izula with handles from The Knife Connection that I really like.

Personally I like a fixed blade. It’s quicker to reply and can be carried in a lot of different configurations in different places on your belt. With a folder it’s pretty much limited to a pocket unless you use a sheath which will be even slower to deploy. I carry a pocket knife too, usually an auto, but I find that I use the fixed blade more often. I’ve been carrying that Xancudo lately.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Just for reference here are some pictures of an ESEE-5 with a 4, 3, Xancudo and a Candiru. The 3 was my favorite for a long time but the Xancudo is my new favorite ESEE. You can see that the 5 is quite a bit larger and has a thicker blade.

Thanks for the comparison. Making me think about some of the smaller ones for later. Figure I will start big and work my way down. Got on a kick buying ZT folders a few years ago. Never leave home without my ZT0350 Ken Onion black. Just wish I could find a “Gibbs special” Zt0301.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If you want big, there’s always the Junglas. Wink The cleaver is pretty damn cool too. It’s a hefty piece of steel.

I can’t recall if I bought a 5 or the 3 first. These two have the older RAT cutlery logos and text. Both of my 5’s have the older canvas sheath too which I greatly prefer to the new kydex. I keep a 5 in my bug out bag. It’s a cool knife.

posted Hide Post
Pale Horse, I have to say you don’t mess around. Nice collection!

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was collecting knives for a few years and really got into ESEE so I have several. I don’t buy as many knives anymore but still enjoy them.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t decide between 1095 and S35vn. You probably have used both extensively. Any thoughts between the two?

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have used both. The main difference is that one is stainless and the other isn’t. I don’t actually have many stainless knives, but I do have the Xancudo and a 4. I bought the stainless 4 to keep in my tacklebox and I think that’s a good place for it. But it and the Xancudo have really only seen light work so as far as strength and sharpness and the ability to hold an edge, I can’t really compare.

I am not really an expert on blade steels when it comes to the finer details. I don’t try to cut pieces of paper or go out and do torture tests to determine which knife cuts a piece of wood faster or longer. To me it’s a lot like the discussions about which ammo is dirtiest. I tend to clean and sharpen my work knives regularly just like I clean my guns regularly. So I don’t really notice if one dulls faster than another because I’m running them over my sharpener before they get to that point.

The three knives I’ve used the hardest are an ESEE junglas and an ESEE-4 in 1095 and a Bark River in CPM 3v. I’ve been very happy with all three. I use the Xancudo and it’s folder brother the Zancudo quite a bit, but for what I’d consider light duty work.

Since it came up though, I’ll add this obligatory pic of my stainless 4 with a nice low serial number.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’m reading that the 1095 is better for hard shocks / impacts while the S35VN is better with edge retention but at the cost of additional brittleness so more susceptible to damage by shock/impact usages. But even if materially true, I don’t have a sense of the level of pragmatic differences.

I bought one of each to test. But I think the 1095 will be better overall. More impact resistant while more than sufficient edge retention (for example: good enough to last a week of camping use without having to sharpen).

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Knives arrived. They are both very nice. Pretty hefty and they seem well balanced.

First impressions: I like the micarta texture. I like the 3D handle profile. I wish the finger groove was more deeply cut and/or less curved up front and/or the front quillion was a little larger.

Dumb question: what's the paracord at the bottom of the sheath? How does one use it? It's too small of a loop to wrap around the thigh....

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is a great looking knife. Can it be purchased just like that, same grips, color...?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post