SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kamado smokers - what lump charcoal do you like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kamado smokers - what lump charcoal do you like? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I have a Kamado Joe, and struggle getting the temps up to where I want them. I think the problem is the Royal Oak lump I buy at Walmart - most of the bag is nothing but little 1-inch pieces, which do a pretty good job of covering and plugging the air holes. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that is truly 'lump' charcoal? Would a kick ash basket help with airflow?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
First, the kick ash basket is amazing.
So much easier to clean.
No doubt too small pieces can be problematic.
We use B&B mostly but have used many - no real opinion that one is better than another, they could be > I just haven't noticed any difference.
YMMV

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Agree Kick Ash Basket is great, and the catch pot under it to help clean up the ash, just lift, dump and replace.

I've used three kinds and the results of getting heat are vastly different.

Cowboy - small broken bits, very few large lumps, burns hot and quickly

B&B - Average, better than cowboy, bags are a surprise, sometimes medium size lumps and some small, last bag, nothing but boulders

Green Egg - Expensive - Gives off the best smoke odor, heat is very good, lights quickly, best of these three.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I'm new to kamado type smokers and often make pizza. I've failed to get the 600* - 700*F I like due to being too frugal with the charcoal. In my experience, to get the heat up that high you need to light the lump pile in 3 or 4 spots. When you shut the grill down after cooking it pretty much consumes the whole load.

Not knowing what temps youre going for, all I can recommend is start with a good quantity of charcoal and light multiple spots if you need the heat. I use Royal Oak primarily. The basket that's been recommended should certainly help with airflow and convenience. If you are getting nothing but small shards in the bag you going to lose alot through the basket mesh.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
I'm new to kamado type smokers and often make pizza. I've failed to get the 600* - 700*F I like due to being too frugal with the charcoal. In my experience, to get the heat up that high you need to light the lump pile in 3 or 4 spots. When you shut the grill down after cooking it pretty much consumes the whole load.

Not knowing what temps youre going for, all I can recommend is start with a good quantity of charcoal and light multiple spots if you need the heat. I use Royal Oak primarily. The basket that's been recommended should certainly help with airflow and convenience. If you are getting nothing but small shards in the bag you going to lose alot through the basket mesh.

we made some pizzas over the holidays, and I got the KJ up to about 650 with the assistance of my wife's hairdryer. The pizza turned out great!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I use Wicked something. Nice size pieces. My problem with my Kommando is I cannot control the heat from rising. It gets too hot. I have the KA basket as well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19254 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
When I got my Kamado, the biggest recommendation I got was a kick ash basket. I bought it immediately and have never cooked without it.

As for charcoal, I have used Cowboy and the Costco bag it so huge it lasts forever. I have used one or two other good brands also, I think Kamado was one of them. With a good brand, I have not really been able to tell the difference.

Posts: 2315 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KJ big lump
Fogo
Rockwood

B&B or Royal Oak for general grilling

Royal Oak makes the BGE lump

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6237 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I use Royal Oak in a pinch or if needing to get locally.

My main charcoal now is Fogo, available at some locations or online. Get a couple bags and shipping is free.

Fogo Charcoal

Use mainly Premium, occasionally will get some Super Premium if on sale. The smoke off of the Bazilian Eucalyptus is pretty cool too, for something cooking a bit longer than just direct grilling, but not as long as a butt smoke, etc.

If you want to try, shoot me an email, they have option to share a 10% discount via email.

Also have a "Rewards" program that nets me about one free bag per year.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12448 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually use Cowboy because I can buy it at my local grocery store. If I buy it online I typically buy Jealous devil because it’s usually rated very high.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D...97c4c17%7CB01D5DDT0G

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ozark Oak/Royal Oak (same company)

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Jealous Devil is the hottest I've tried. Great for fast and hot and great for low and slow.

Posts: 3471 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Jealous Devil sounds like an interesting option.

Should also have posted a link to this review site:

The Naked Whiz's Lump Charcoal Database

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12448 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The best I've used is Fogo, thanks to Mr. Yarchin. I currently use B&B from Academy and I think its your best bang for the buck. I've gotten literal construction scraps in the Cowboy bags and quit buying it. NEVER buy the red bag cheap stuff from HD, Lowes or Walmart, its garbage. I've found metal chunks, rocks, etc. and it doesn't burn well either.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7083 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I just finished my first bag of Jealous Devil and it is easily my new favorite. Bigger chunks, less powder, less ash, and more consistent temperature than Royal Oak. I was able to smoke low and slow with it and sear at high heat. Each piece is very consistent, whereas with Royal Oak some pieces burn hotter than others and mess with the temperature.

Never tried Fogo, but it sounds good.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B&B from your local ACE Hardware.

Posts: 936 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Jealous Devil for hot and faster cooks. Although I have used it low and slow plenty of times.

Fogo Super Premium for low and slow.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
kick ash basket

Forgive me, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how a $75 glorified colander would have an appreciable effect on my grilling.

I have zero problems getting my medium Egg up 6-700F provided I'm not lazy and forget to ShopVac out the ashes. It has more than enough airflow as is IMO.

As far as charcoal, I like the Egg stuff. I've tried Fogo and it was nice, but I can't buy it around here and having it shipped is kind of a pain.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forgive me, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how a $75 glorified colander would have an appreciable effect on my grilling.

Wait until you drop $50 on a Ash Can which is a dog bowl with a cut in it LOL

Will say they both work well, I'm able to lift the remains of a previous grilling out without having to scoop out good chunks of Lump that are left with the ash.

Take a paper towel brush down all the inside of the lower fire box into the Ash Can and lift out to dump, no need to get the shop vac out drag it out to the patio, clean, take it back to the garage, empty it.

Basically it's convenience, and I find I use the grill more because it's much easier to clean up.

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

It won't but you miss the point.
It is a convenience item that makes the process much easier, and I might add that the basket does seem to have better air flow.
The "ask can" is simplex but works extremely well too.
Is it a life/death necessity to cook - no but it sure makes life easier.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post