SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Early spring cleaning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early spring cleaning Login/Join 
posted
Not really cleaning yet. Just going through the debris of my life and throwing stuff away. Working through pictures now. No one is going to want your photos when you are gone. Kind of addicting getting rid of stuff I have not used and don't see using now at may age.

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that is a great way to look at it, I'm old enough to take it to heart!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen brother.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree. I love old family photos and I wish I had more from my family who are no longer around.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many photos were from vacation and were local attractions. If my wife or I was not in the photo- out it goes. Don't have children so no one care about family photos. Many photos I had no idea where they were taken. Some were from my parents of their friends.
We keep entirely too much stuff. Too good to throw away or else we would have already done it. All getting thrown out now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdj:
I have to disagree. I love old family photos and I wish I had more from my family who are no longer around.

People in the past did not take many photos. I have thousands of the grandchildren alone

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My step father had a similar idea.

He threw me out. Saved a bunch on film and processing fees.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have too much junk and I’m going through stuff now. It’s like a constant battle.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were within an hours drive and you had more than a milk crate of pictures I'd say dibs , right now .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my parents have passed away, one of the things I most regret is not getting my hands on my Mothers photo album.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
As a rule of thumb, I throw things out if I haven't used them in five years. Of course, sometime later, I look everywhere and can't find that left-handed widget hook. I know I had one.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Pack-Rat and I know it. I am not a hoarder though. I really need to dispose of more stuff. I have been giving things to the Vietnam Vets Thrift Store for quite a while now, but still have plenty to go.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We had a couple of floods at my parents’ (now my sister’s) house that destroyed nearly all the family photos, going back to the early 1900s. Along with most of the other family heirlooms. Fortunately the sole blood heir, a 28 year old nephew, is uninterested in anything other than soy based foods and computer games. Which makes it nice.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I tend to hang on to stuff that I purchased with hard earned money and is still in good working order even though I know deep down I'll likely never use this item. That said, when you finally make the decision to jettison some of the old crap it is rather refreshing. Kind of like taking a good shit.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandmother thought the same. Threw out all of her promo pictures when she was in roller derby in its beginnings .... my mother and I both wanted them. We have a single picture from a newspaper clipping left

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I wish I was addicted to throwing stuff out.
Unfortunately, my kid appears to have acquired my tendency to keep things - to the extent of going in the garbage and digging out bubble pack backs for the pictures...

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5353 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I am a Pack-Rat and I know it. I am not a hoarder though. <snip>

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Razz

I do go through stuff and donate or throw away things 2-3 times a year. Sometimes because I'm bored and can't think of anything better to do, sometimes because I'm running out of room.

Being a tinkerer, I have a YUGE supply of nuts/bolts/bearings/general hardware and a goodly supply of wood, steel and aluminum cutoffs, and similar stuff that a lot of folks would consider junk.

I know people thin out the herd as a way of making life simpler for their heirs/survivors and I may even do that myself when I get old. In, say, 20 years or so. Big Grin

Meanwhile it's all stuff I might need some day. At least a couple of times a month, I make something I need out of whatever I have laying around. On those rare occasions I have to buy new materials, I buy extra.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post