SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the Jeep 4.0 Six
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the Jeep 4.0 Six Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
House my grandson is planning to make an offer on includes a garage and in said garage is an engine that has been tentatively identified as a Jeep 4.0

Appears to be complete from what I can see of it.

Some other stuff in the garage, lawn tractor, generator, trailer. Unclear at this point if the owners intend to clean out the garage as part of the sale (they've already moved, place is empty) or if it goes with, or if it's negotiable one way or the other.

Just trying to get an idea what that engine (assuming it's complete and in running condition) might be worth.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
That engine was in my 2001 Jeep Cherokee and it was widely used throughout the Jeep lineup. I doubt that it would fit in any of today's vehicles of any make. I have no clue as to value, if any.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Jeep 4.0 straight six, if in fact that's what it is, is next to the definition of "bulletproof" in the dictionary. One exception is early 2000 models where the head is prone to cracking. But is this engine any good? That is the question. Some pictures would help in for verification and narrowing down the year.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The Jeep 4.0 straight six, if in fact that's what it is, is next to the definition of "bulletproof" in the dictionary.

What little I think I know... IIRC!
I believe I have seen it listed (by some) as the longest basic block designe in a production engine ever made... going back to the '60s or so... maybe older. Sometimes it is lovingly referred to as a "tractor engine" due to it's low revving but high torque at minimum RPMs. There were several various configurations over the years. I have the "Renix" version in my '89... The first version with multiport fuel injection, rated 177 HP. That version covered only 3 years. It is also the base block of the older carbureted 258 CI jeep engine. Minor changes in '90, mostly to the head, oil filter location, and engine electronics / fuel injection and was dubbed the HO (High Output) version at 200 HP. Don't remember the newer changes or when it was discontinued.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
thirsty, and tends to pre-detonate (ping). That's my experience anyway. Very torquey though.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
My family had them in an 87 XJ, an 85 XJ, 1994 XJ, and a 2004 TJ

Bulletproof begins to describe them. With some basic garage mods I had one that would outrun many other mid-80s rides. Sounded like a jet sucking air in. I beat the bejeezus out of that truck and it just wanted more.

The early 90s changeover to Chrysler changed some parts from iron to aluminum, but they remained very strong and reliable. Mine was an 87... and never did the motor ever give me issues.

If complete and rebuildable, it should be a high-demand motor downeast or in the North country for ‘wheelers.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
00-01 heads are prone to crack;kind of odd that at the very end of its production run, Chrysler did something to make it NOT bulletproof.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
00-01 heads are prone to crack;kind of odd that at the very end of its production run, Chrysler did something to make it NOT bulletproof.

I don't find it odd, Its par for the course for Chrysler. Give them something bulletproof and they'll find a way to mess it up. This from a guy that's been driving them since 1977. Its why they're in last place among domestic makes. Defining them as lazy and stupid is almost a complement.

My grandson had a cheropig with one in it, and somehow managed to mess it up. Not a big surprise, his nickname is Crash. Anyway, he had people stop by the house and try to buy the thing just to get the core. The value is in that core if it can be rebuilt. Ya just can't tell by looking, or at least you probably can't.

Chrysler moved to V6 engines, trying a couple of anemic mini-van engines that were gas hungry and lacking in any kind of performance.

Back in the day they even included decal back by the gas filler of 4.0 liter high performance. The local modification was a replacement of 258 no performance. Close to true. So back to the question. The important question is what year. The '95 and '96 were good engines. The later ones were in free fall decline. Calling them junk is too kind.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is that my '05 Wrangler (with that engine in it) has over 248,000 miles on it and it's still my daily driver.

Posts: 131 | Registered: January 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The straight six 4.0 sucks gas, pulls like a mule and is basically bulletproof. I have no info on the late model straight sixes that might have issues. I only know about the older ones.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Let's Go Rangers:
All I know is that my '05 Wrangler (with that engine in it) has over 248,000 miles on it and it's still my daily driver.

I feel like a piker, my ‘05 only has about 130,000 on it with that engine.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We sold our 92' Cherokee country with 200,000 miles on it and my BIL put anther 175,000 miles on it.

Our mechanic told me that engine and the tranny was bulletproof.

I miss that Cherokee.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My 2001 Cherokee is still going with over 200,000 miles. No issue with the engine at all. Mileage isn't great, about 14 MPH but it keeps going.

My buddy's Wrangler is at about 240,000 miles with the 4.0 and it's still going strong too

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
The Cherokee with that engine is a classic, had 2 and the torque almost seemed too much at times for it.....it liked to wag it's tail.

Great engine

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
It’s a good engine.

It’s successor was weak.

It’s successor successor, the current 3.6, is a good torquey engine as well. I think I read somewhere that there were rumors of a straight six coming back to the lineup.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna tear it down, they make a 4.6 big bore kit. We had one in a Cherokee sport in the early 90s. 4.10 gears made it scoot.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My S-I-L is a off roader with his Cherokee(s), on his second one. Bodies,axles,transfer cases, differentials get replaced. He has yet to trash a 4.0L engine.

I felt bad about three months ago at a off road park, I drove it and trashed the front differential. He said “It’s not a good weekend unless somebody rolls one or breaks something.”

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Craigslist running 4.0. Usually go in the $350 -$450 range.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Crappy cell phone pic, couldn't uncover enough of it for a better ID, moving blankets frozen in place.

The plan is to tell them that he'll accept the place as is and deal with cleanup/disposal himself, IF, and only if, they leave everything as it currently is.

Otherwise, come and get EVERYTHING, and leave the garage as clean as a whistle.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There is enough blur detail to tell that it is a late 1980s, possibly early 1990s, fuel-injected.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post