SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snow removal- pickup with plow vs tractor with blower
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow removal- pickup with plow vs tractor with blower Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

I know that it's difficult to judge from a written description, but the total area involved is a lot more than a lawn tractor/blower would be suited for.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^^

I know that it's difficult to judge from a written description, but the total area involved is a lot more than a lawn tractor/blower would be suited for.

The lane this was used in was 1/2 mile long. With this much snow, it took about an hour and a half. Only because I was having trouble going up the hill on the left side. In 6" snows, it chewed the snow up without any trouble.

I also use this tractor to mow grass and I have a blade for the front too. These tractors are tanks and may surprise you.

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a compact utility tractor and I have a plow on the back and a front end loader bucket on the front. It works quite well. The bucket will move the snow far off the drive.

I also have an F250 with a Big Boss V plow on the front for fast clean up.

I have two properties, one with a long drive.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I live in the country with a 600 x 18 paved driveway plus large garage aprons. I've been plowing it with a 3/4 ton truck and 9 1/2' Hiniker V-plow for the past 20 years. It works pretty well until the banks get high, then the driveway starts to narrow down pretty quickly. This year, I

Plow the drive then raise the plow a few inches (extra tall shoes maybe)and move the banks back right from the start of the plowing seasons.
Just a couple extra passes on each side should should do the trick.

Just a off the wall thought.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My townhouse complex is 12 buildings, with long access roads and lots of parking spots.
My landlord uses:
Full cab Kubota FWD tractor with front mounted blower with electric chute. Small hydraulic blade mounted on the rear.
Case end loader carrying an articulated plow blade.
End loader does the access roads and main parking areas. Kubota does the sidewalks (rear blade) and blows out the parking spaces. These two are backed up by several plow equipped pickups.
Watching all this work year in and year out, it is easy to see what would work for serious snow removal on a smaller scale:
Full cab Kubota and front blower.
Bonus: Other attachments make the Kubota useful year round.
Even on the heaviest snowfall days, I am plowed out usually no later than 9 AM.
And watching an end loader with a huge blade working around your new truck is exciting!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Plow the drive then raise the plow a few inches (extra tall shoes maybe)and move the banks back right from the start of the plowing seasons.
Just a couple extra passes on each side should should do the trick.

Just a off the wall thought.

I am always open to new ideas, but that doesn’t work nearly as well as you’d think. Over the course of 20 years, I’ve gotten pretty good at maxing out the plow’s capabilities.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
No cab would be a deal breaker for this old man. I'll stay with my truck.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Go big

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Spend about $8-9K on a used skid steer, get a snowblower attachment, and actually enjoy the job.

You also will have a versatile machine for all the other seasons.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Spend about $8-9K on a used skid steer, get a snowblower attachment, and actually enjoy the job.

You also will have a versatile machine for all the other seasons.

Around here, a skid steer with 1000 hours is about $25,000

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I plow my large driveway with a 1989 Chevy K2500 and a 8' Western Pro Plow. You said this year you had to pay someone to move the piles. How often does that happen? If it's only once a year, or once every few years, that might be the most economical solution. You can have him come over many, many times for what it will cost you to buy a tractor or a new truck.

I would say put the money into your current truck. I am going to re-do the entire front end of my truck this summer. Front end parts are cheap (relatively). A lot of effort though.

Is getting a new truck and transferring the plow over an option? New plows are really expensive. Is your truck a 3/4 ton (or more)?

I am upgrading my conventional Western to a used engine-driven hydraulic pump 7.5' Fisher plow with a Minute Mount I this summer when I do the front end work. I'm all about incrementally upgrading my stuff with used stuff every few years. Cheaper than spending big bucks on new equipment. I'm always on the lookout for a deal. Wink

No way would I get a rear mounted / 3 pt hitch blower.

Here's the used/restored plow setup I picked up.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The real advantage to a blower of any kind is the ability to sling snow far from the sides of the driveway. Plowed, compressed snow tends to set up like concrete and stay around longer to boot. Then there is the wear and tear issue on the truck.

The tractor mounted blower seems like the best idea.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to a blower setup.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I’m probably not the best person to give advice here because I’m the king of overkill. However, having said that, I believe that I have the best of both worlds. I have a New Holland T5.120 tractor with front end loader. I have an HLA Snow 3000 series plow on the front end loader. It attaches via a skid steer quick connect and angles via the third function valve. I also have a Pronovost P920-98 98” wide snowblower on the rear 3 point hitch and PTO. I plow going forwards and windrow into one row and then blow the snow away with the blower. It is quick, and allows me to prevent snow banks and because I windrow the snow with the plow it keeps me from spending much time driving in reverse. Honestly, if you don’t mind spending a bunch of money for a “do it all” solution, especially if you don’t need the truck otherwise, a smaller version of what I have might be worth considering?

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat: You said this year you had to pay someone to move the piles. How often does that happen? If it's only once a year, or once every few years, that might be the most economical solution. You can have him come over many, many times for what it will cost you to buy a tractor or a new truck.

Moving the banks has not been a regular occurrence. Having a somewhat narrowed driveway and aprons surrounded by 6-7 foot high banks that take until May to melt is an every year event.

There's no doubt that hiring someone is often the cheapest solution, but is rarely the best or most satisfying. I like doing things myself. As others have pointed out, there are probably good uses for a tractor set up in other seasons. I know they make some ridiculously powerful leaf blowers for the PTO, and my driveway shoulders are long overdue for dressing up with gravel. I'm guessing a tractor will move logs or stumps with ease and can even be used for moving boats/trailers around in the off season. It wouldn't necessarily sit idle half the year.