SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Builders, Concrete Guys - What are my options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Builders, Concrete Guys - What are my options? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Need to pour about a yard of concrete.

Too small for a redi-mix truck. Too much for Sakrete and a two-bag mixer.

Had arranged for a contractor to throw an extra yard on a load, but that appears to have been a "Tell him what he wants to hear to make him go away" deal.

Maybe a bigger rental mixer and separate components (a pile of sand, a pile of rock and a couple bags of Portland)?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Don’t be afraid to call around and look for a metered service. Typically you’ll pay more but you’ll only pay for the concrete needed. They can be a little harder to find but are out there.

There are larger mixers you could rent but using sakerete bags will still be easiest to use in the machine.

In short search for metered concrete.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you cant find a metered service..rent a portable mixer from a tool supply. A single yard goes pretty quickly.

Posts: 589 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Talk to the local Redi mix company and see if they know of a company that delivers short loads. They might do a yard but that small of a load will come at a premium.

The next best option is to rent a small mixer from HD or other equipment rental places.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have a two bag mixer, but at .6 cubic feet per 80 pound bag, that works out to 45 bags minimum.

Couple of issues with that: My 70 year old ass hoisting 3600 pounds of mix twice (once to mix, once to pour) and getting all 20+ pours (2 bags per pour) done in a timely manner before the first pour starts setting up.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I have a two bag mixer, but at .6 cubic feet per 80 pound bag, that works out to 45 bags minimum.

Couple of issues with that: My 70 year old ass hoisting 3600 pounds of mix twice (once to mix, once to pour) and getting all 20+ pours (2 bags per pour) done in a timely manner before the first pour starts setting up.

You need a truck to bring it. Call the concrete companies......or might be cheapest to find a place to put a sidewalk or pad for grilling or something on your property, to use an entire truck!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Until a couple of years ago there were just the big concrete companies. We now have a couple of companies by me that will deliver small loads like that. Thank god.

If you have a pickup and some plastic you could possibly have them dump a yard in it. Of course it depends on how far away you live.

We used to do this with a dump truck at the local supply yard.
Maybe rent a truck with some hoppers?

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3873 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here, concrete companies will normally deliver a yard, they'll just charge extra.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a yard of redi-mix from your local rental yard, assuming you have a tow vehicle.

P229

Posts: 3845 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
My 70 year old ass hoisting 3600 pounds of mix..

That’d be a sight for my 76 year old eyes. BTW, bending your knees won’t make anything lighter.
I’d opt for the metered service and a skilled Mexican to finish it. Let’s keep you healthy and on the forum a bit longer.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I needed two yards a couple of years ago. I called around and found a local company that would bring it for a reasonable fee if I was patient - they waited until they had a couple of yards left over from another job and brought it over. I'm not sure how flexible they are now with construction as busy as it is (at least around here), but it might be worth it to call around.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If they have a two yard minimum just pay them for that and let them know you'll only need one and be flexible on the delivery time.
Still cheaper and much easier then any other options.

Posts: 9540 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post