SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arthritis knee issues?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arthritis knee issues? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Last couple of weeks I've been experiencing difficulty with my left knee. Starting with a feeling of swelling. Reduction of flexibility. The feeling of pressure if you bent the knee to a certain point, and if you pushed it past the pain. One day just walking across my kitchen floor an out of the blue high-level stop you in your tracks yell out loud pain hit, and I couldn't put any weight on that leg. One emergency room visit and four xrays later revealed degeneration due to arthritis and fluid build-up due to inflammation. I was surprised that level of pain so fast wasn't the result of some sort of damage.

Option 1. Wait and see if things get better.

Option 2 if not a steroid injection.

Now the image of a knee injection reminds me of a movie scene from North Dallas Forty that has left an indelible mark on my brain.

If I can't get past this who among the Sig Forum has had this injection, and what was your experience?

Posts: 7647 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Same knee, pain problem, I just finished a round of 4 gel shots. They are supposed to lubricate the meniscus if you are not at the bone to bone point. So far so good.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

Now the image of a knee injection reminds me of a movie scene from North Dallas Forty that has left an indelible mark on my brain.

Ugh. I cringe and close my eyes when I watch that scene. My brother and neighbor just had knee replacements, nice long scar.
I hope it works out for you.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the injection in quite a lot of joints including the knee. Once in a while I had some discomfort during the shot but most decent orthos or arthritis Drs do a good job giving the shots with minimal discomfort. Often, with a good cocktail mix, you’ll feel good as new or,better for awhile. Mine started out of the blue during sleep one night. Awoke to hellacious pain in my knee as if I’d been hobbled similarish to the scene in Misery. Knee was swollen and hot to the touch and I couldn’t bend it. I waited to see if it went away and used anti inflammatory meds. Once it kicked in and I walked for awhile it gradually started bending better but as soon as I sat down for more than a few minutes it would seize up again. Finally went to an ortho who eventually did two arthroscopic surgeries only for the condition to come back. Sent me to a Rheumatologist who diagnosed me with Reactive Arthritis (back the called Rieters Syndrome). Tried a lot of different meds but ended up on fairly high dosages of Sulfasalazine 2x a day. Does a pretty good job but I still have flare ups some times that bounce around the body. Might talk to your Dr about whether you need to see an ortho or rheumatologist. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 6038 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I had the gel injection and was good for over a year.

Doc prescribed Meloxicam for arthritis after that and it is as if I don't have arthritis now. Works well and is cheap.

Posts: 1567 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I get knee injections every 12-18 months, due to arthritis in my right knee. I only have ~20% of the meniscus (cartilage pad) left there.

The shot isn't bad at all. My knee doc uses a numbing solution applied to the skin, as well as mixed into the shot itself. It's usually a little sore later that day once that wears off, but no worse than the pre-shot soreness, and then I have about 6-9 months of total relief followed by another 6-9 months of gradual increasing arthritis soreness until it's time for another shot.

Don't sweat it. The extended relief is worth the minor discomfort.

Just don't get further shots unless you really need to. You can get them as often as every 3 months, but doing them frequently can actually speed up the deterioration of your knee. That's why I tend to just deal with the months of minor soreness once it starts to wear off and only get new shots once it becomes moderate soreness, rather than getting them every 3-6 months to try and totally avoid every last bit of pain (at the cost of hastening a total knee replacement).

Posts: 32993 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doctors won't tell you this because it would cost them income but the Primary Trigger for Arthritis is SUGAR. Yeah that sweet stuff that so many like to heap into a cup of coffee. The stuff in most breakfast cerials, every single candy bar, donuts, bread, and a very long list of crap many of us consume every day. BTW, studies are also indicating that the primary "cause" of heart disease may actually be Sugar and NOT Saturated Fat.

I have Arthritis in the radial head of both wrists and the first joint of both thumbs. Also have trigger finger in the middle finger of both hands. Back in 2021 it was bad enough that it was painful for me to simply sign a pay check. While staying with my Nephew and his wonderful wife for a week over the Christmas holiday in 2021 his wife noticed that I had a considerable sweet tooth. BTW she's an NP and a very smart gal. So I listened to her and have cut way back on sweets, to the point where my breakfast cereal is now Corn Chex.

As a result I can now not only sign a check without any pain I can rack the slide on a 45 ACP 1911 from the hammer down state without pain and do a lot of other things with my hands that were at one point not possible. As for the trigger finger issues that is still present in a much milder form that only rears it's head when I close that finger enough to have the finger tip touch the heel of my hand, a motion that I have learned to avoid.

The point of all this is that Sugar is Toxic, especially the refined stuff. Do your best to reduce your sugar intake by 70-80% and your heart will be much better off and your Arthritis will improve more than any medication available. Note, it won't erase damage done to a joint but it will stop any further damage and to some extent your body can heal.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:

Doc prescribed Meloxicam for arthritis after that and it is as if I don't have arthritis now. Works well and is cheap.

Meloxicam worked well for me when it came to joint issues (shoulder), but it is not suggested for long-term use.

I've got no more meniscus on the inside of my left knee, and I'm bone-on-bone in that area now with arthritis.

I can walk, but a long day at an amusement park will ensure a small baker's cyst behind the knee. After three days at that same amusement park, I was out of commission for a week.

The night before the first day, I did get a cortisone shot. I'm not sure if it gave me a bit more time during those four days.

A physical therapist can provide you with some exercises to help.

If you need to lose 20-25 pounds like I do, that should help.

I have not tried the gell, but I have read mixed reviews. I do know that our insurance does not cover it.

My ortho doc said he could do a partial knee replacement and would do it at my age (57) if I wanted to do things I could not do. I've been swimming 1-2 miles a week and riding my bike upwards of 60 miles a week without any issue with the knee. So I'm good for now.

I hate to run, but I'd like to "run" a slow 5k so I can get back to doing some sprit distance triathlons, but that's probably not going to happen.

At this point, I'm not shooting any USPSA matches just due to the probability I'll pull something or make it worse.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I have bone on bone and got a steroid injection about a month ago and it helped considerably. I may get one more injection in September. I am going to get the knee replaced at the end of the year.

Posts: 1855 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. Weight isn't an issue. I'm 6 foot even and weighed in at 189 at the docs office yesterday. Sugar on the other hand. Since a party we threw about two months ago I'm the only one that has been trying to drink the leftover soda, and I've been partaking in a candy bar at work almost everyday now. Going to stop that. I imagine if I really looked I could cut out more.

Posts: 7647 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
eat more red meat and take a Glucosamine Chondroitin supplement

I used to get stabbing pains in my knees, I thought I needed surgery to fix. then I started the supplements and 2 weeks later no pain. red meat also helps

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2032 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Glucosamine/chondroitin did nothing for me.

Studies have been inconclusive about its effectiveness.

But I know a few people who swear it helps, and the supplements are cheap, so it may be worth trying. (Though you should talk to your doctor first if you're prediabetic/diabetic, since studies suggest it can affect blood glucose and insulin resistance.)

Just don't expect miracles, and don't be surprised if you don't notice any difference.

Posts: 32993 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I damaged my knees, motorcycle riding in the Az. desert, etc., resulting in terrible arthritis. Did all the PT, shots, etc. Finally replaced the worst knee about 15 years ago, the other a couple years ago. Bionic knees work great; no regrets, should have done both earlier...YMMV

NRA Life

Posts: 1575 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm bone on bone in both knees, right knee is worse than the left. I tried cortisone injections last year, and I got two weeks of no pain before I started getting the random sharp pains back. They had completely worn off after a month.

Got gel injections last November and they told me they take six weeks to reach max effectiveness. I wanna say my knees hurt worse after than they did before for a solid two months, but they somehow got steadily better over the next five months before starting to rapidly wear off. I hike with a group of guys and on our last hike of the season back in early June, I was actually able to jog some portions of it without agony - I was astonished. I got another set of injections on the 8th, and the first few days after this time, I made sure to ice both knees religiously and really take it easy. My right knee feels pretty good, but my left knee has been hurting pretty bad. Yesterday and the day before were both agony, but we also had big monsoons rolling through, so I'm not sure how much of that to put on the weather vs the injections. They were doing better before that, but last Sunday, I carried some stuff around that I should've have and really set them off. Oh well.

I used to strongly object to needles. I've never passed out while getting something drawn out or shot in, but I don't enjoy it. The idea of cortisone shots really honestly gave me pause, especially when I saw them. Just cowboy up and keep breathing. It's more of a weird sensation than anything else, at least it is with my doc and his NP. I find that sitting up is less unpleasant than the time we did them with me laying down (he told me later they do that the first time at his office in case someone faints). I'm also told that the more inflammation you have in the knee, the more you feel it. I can't take Ibuprofen because of my liver, but I took a Tylenol before this last time and it helped a lot.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I had a steroid injection in my left knee a couple of months ago and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It helped along with a prescription for Diclofenac. It’s the same non-steroid anti inflammatory as in Voltaren topical cream. Doctor prescribed it for use up to twice a day but I rarely take more than the morning pill. I’ve been shocked at how much it helps. Pretty inexpensive Rx to boot.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:

Meloxicam worked well for me when it came to joint issues (shoulder), but it is not suggested for long-term use.
+1

Earlier this year, I got the gel injection in my left knee for arthritis. Huge needle but surprisingly barely registered pain wise. Shots were 1x per week for 3 weeks. Very pleased so far with the gel.

In the middle, I tore the meniscus in my right knee again. Tore 2 places this time. Same doc wanted to avoid surgery again as it'll make the arthritis worse. Instead, prescribed Meloxicam and rest so it'll heal. Took about a month to get 80% better and then he said no more Meloxicam as it's not good for your kidneys. Took a couple more weeks to heal. Now I'm halfway through the 3 month healing phase before it's safe to get the gel injection.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't advise about injections, however, the fella that noted "SUGAR" upthread may be on to something.

@ 8 years back I was doing a hike out to a rockclimb in Red Rocks, NV when my knee swoll up so bad I couldn't walk. The swelling comes and goes, it's distressing to have it swell up like a ball park frank and not be able to walk down stairs but it comes and goes for no apparent reason. Multiple doctors say arthritis, as do the xrays.

However, everytime I do an overseas trip it goes away. Everytime.

Ireland, @ 2 weeks and the pain disappeared.
Switzerland/Italy/Portugal - 3 weeks, gone
Vietnam/Lao/Cambodia -5 weeks - gone.
Just came back from Japan (2-1/2 weeks), gone. Food and a lot of walking are the only common things. Less sugar and beer for sure.

It's something in the food, for me. Arthritis is just a blanket explanation that doctors use as they don't know why or what causes it and they dislike sounding like idiots. They don't truely know what it is or how to make it go away. Likely there are different issues, and my issue may be different than yours.

Best of luck with it!

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
tore my Minuscus, left knee

swole up like a watermelon,

doc gave me a shot, that I honestly never felt go in,

he sprayed some pain stuff on the side of my knee, and popped that needle in, felt just a bit of pressure from the medicine and then gone,

helped greatly,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10550 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking as someone who works in orthopedics, once you get to a certain point regarding degenerative changes, a tear in the meniscus is totally irrelevant. Most people past about 60 who tear a meniscus also have significant degenerative changes that mean limited surgery such as a scope is going to give little if any long term improvement.
My headache is people get an MRI and see the result as torn meniscus but don’t read the rest of the result of things like high grade chondromalacia which means we treat it the same as degenerative arthritis- primary is steroid injection, gel aka synvisc or euflexxa as secondary, and then recommend replacement.

Posts: 3368 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I learned a little something today. Got home with a bottle of glucosamine chondroitin. Sat down to give the directions a read. This stuff is made with shellfish. Returned that bottle. I'm allergic to shellfish. Just a little FYI. Found a bottle of 100 percent vegetarian MSM and Glucosamine. This stuff is manufactured through some sort of fungal fermentation. Going to give that a whirl. As far as sugar intake my wife assures me we're below the average, but I'm still going to cut where I can.