SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CC Theft, with a twist
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CC Theft, with a twist Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
My credit card number was stolen for the 3rd time in the last 10 years. Got tipped off by Crutchfield when they called to verify an order, that I didn't place. Cancelled the card, but a couple orders got thru, big ticket items, straightened this out with Visa, should be no problem. I also have All Clear ID protection and I informed them also.

What is different this time is they have all the items being delivered to my house, to me. Are they actually planning to steal the items off my porch or break-in to get them? Anyone ever hear of this?

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they actually planning to steal the items off my porch or break-in to get them? Anyone ever hear of this?

saw a little news blurb a while back, that yes, the crooks expect you to be gone during the day delivery hours, so they just swoop down behind the delivery guy.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've heard of it happening, but it's uncommon as most credit card number thefts aren't committed locally where someone would be in your neighborhood.
But it might be a nice opportunity to put out some bait packages and use a hidden camera.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
The people at All Clear told me to change my IP provider password, which I did. If they hacked my account also they will wait until the companies send email shipment information. Sounds kind of ballsy.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
They will also contact the carrier (say FedEx) delivering it and ask for it to be held at the FedEx store and then go pick it up.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
What is different this time is they have all the items being delivered to my house, to me. Are they actually planning to steal the items off my porch or break-in to get them? Anyone ever hear of this?

Not a new twist at all. Been going on.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
They will also contact the carrier (say FedEx) delivering it and ask for it to be held at the FedEx store and then go pick it up.

I know when I've picked stuff up at UPS or Fedex hubs they want picture ID.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

I know when I've picked stuff up at UPS or Fedex hubs they want picture ID.

Picture IDs are really easy to fake.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Seems like a lot of risk and trouble to get a couple lap tops and some stereo equipment.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like a lot of risk and trouble to get a couple lap tops and some stereo equipment.

I agree with you but as far as the criminals are concerned it is not. They will probably take the stuff and sell it to make some cash.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Report This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Have an old steel foot locker on the porch and the delivery guys know to put packages in and then lock the padlock and it's right under my camera

Could they break in yes but I will have a good picture of them

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My son who also likes Sigs, got home a little early one day and found a 900$ desk in boxes on his porch that were just delivered. He checked and sure enough they were charged on his credit card.
That is the second time in 2 years it happened to him.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My Visa number was stolen and used near West Palm Beach to buy Domino's. USAA caught it and sent me a text immediately to verify the charge. Orlando is about 3 hours away.

I denied the charge, they reserved it, cancelled the card and had one to me in 2 days.

Some people are just assholes who want to steal from the hard work of others. We usually refer to them as democrats. Big Grin

Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I'm not worried about the CC. Just bothers me that someone is possibly planning on coming to my house with my wife and dog probably at home. If they would hurt the dog I'd be pissed.

posted Hide Post
I think the last time I received something via FedEx, there was a box on their tracking website that allowed me to redirect the package. It struck me as odd, since I also did not need a password to access the website, only the tracking number and the destination ZIP code.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not worried about the CC. Just bothers me that someone is possibly planning on coming to my house with my wife and dog probably at home. If they would hurt the dog I'd be pissed.

Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
This happened to my neighbors. Their mail with their credit card receipt was stolen.

The crooks would order stuff to be delivered to the house. They used a delivery option that gave them a good idea of when the stuff would be delivered. After my friends went to work someone would be dropped off and stay behind the house. When the delivery arrived they came out and signed or picked up the shipment.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's probably some neighbor kids that intercepted your credit card in the mail, they know your schedule, live within view of your house and planned to intercept the items.

posted Hide Post
quote:
es, it's probably some neighbor kids that intercepted your credit card in the mail, they know your schedule, live within view of your house and planned to intercept the items.

Kids around my area just are not that bright. They would rather pull on car door handles and grab stuff, or try to boost at the local Walmart. Public education is probably better where you live.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the first thing I thought of when I read they were having the stuff delivered to your house. That means they are physically close by or able to get there.

Is your mail box secured? If not, it would be a good investment to get one of them mail drop addresses for a fee.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post