SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is nuclear power green?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is nuclear power green? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
Nuclear Energy can be done safely and efficiently, look to France, if we redid it here but with more layers of safety measures and regulations on what the plants would have to be in order to prevent dangers from a meltdown.

Also the USA has a huge under the mountain nuke waste depot already for storing waste that could store any amount of the current tiny pellets that nuke plants use.

France I believe only uses low enriched uranium (LEU), versus the US, which uses highly enriched uranium (HEU). HEU is necessary for weapons whereas, LEU doesn't have the dual-usage security concerns. The flip-side is you can get much longer usage from HEU cores, thus core changes are much more frequent with French reactors.

I'm not sure what France does with their nuclear energy that the US doesn't already do with regards to safety. One of the complaints that I've heard is US DOE and its regulatory agencies, makes innovation very restrictive, stiffling new ideas and burying progressive developments with overbearing administrative bureaucracy. I've heard lots of talk about utilizing Thorium and other source types, however much of the decision makers seem to be locked-in their beliefs that nuclear energy can only come from pressurized water reactors.

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I am very pro nuclear power, but this video conflicts me with various statements. Still, it may help to dispel misinformation.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My sense is, “yes, it is and should be given serious consideration.” Really though, I just wish all forms of energy generation could be debated on equal footing, the pros and cons of each debated openly without the heavy finger on the scales by the federal government.

As Michael Shellenberger said in the video I posted yesterday, “We need evidence-based policy making, not policy-based evidence making.” No truer words.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
How long has it been since a new reactor was approved in the US? 40 years? I can’t think of a single technology that hasn’t made huge advances in that time frame. I’d imagine new reactors would be smaller and safer.

I’m sure someone can chime in.

Right on down to the consumer level:

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Every energy source had a negative environmental impact.

The question is not if it is green, but in which ways is it not. Today CO2 is the declared enemy that is going to extinguish life. So the obvious answer is nuclear. There are smart ways to implement it which greatly diminish the risks.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
Nuclear Energy can be done safely and efficiently, look to France, if we redid it here but with more layers of safety measures and regulations on what the plants would have to be in order to prevent dangers from a meltdown.

Also the USA has a huge under the mountain nuke waste depot already for storing waste that could store any amount of the current tiny pellets that nuke plants use.

France I believe only uses low enriched uranium (LEU), versus the US, which uses highly enriched uranium (HEU). HEU is necessary for weapons whereas, LEU doesn't have the dual-usage security concerns. The flip-side is you can get much longer usage from HEU cores, thus core changes are much more frequent with French reactors.

I'm not sure what France does with their nuclear energy that the US doesn't already do with regards to safety. One of the complaints that I've heard is US DOE and its regulatory agencies, makes innovation very restrictive, stiffling new ideas and burying progressive developments with overbearing administrative bureaucracy. I've heard lots of talk about utilizing Thorium and other source types, however much of the decision makers seem to be locked-in their beliefs that nuclear energy can only come from pressurized water reactors.

Most French reactors are PWRs, like most US reactors, and I’m sure run on pretty much the same enrichment (max 5% U-235). Every US commercial power reactor is limited to 5% enrichment. The only US reactors running highly enriched uranium are those operated by the Navy and some test and research reactors.

Also, not sure where this huge under the mountain nuke waste depot is in the US. If you’re talking about Yucca Mountain, that never opened. Pretty much all spent nuclear fuel from US power reactors is stored on site, in spent fuel pools, and in above ground dry storage containers sitting on the plant site.

Posts: 3341 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yucca Mountain never happened because of NV political opposition, not because of any technical issues--IIRC.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post