SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Spirit runs aground Duluth harbor real time video 06/17/2018
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Spirit runs aground Duluth harbor real time video 06/17/2018 Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
http://www.duluthharborcam.com...-lakes-aquarium.html

I’ll try to figure out how to embed the video, but link should take you to page with video.

Right now, tugs standing by to try and knock off the bottom.

Aerial Bridge closed to shipping traffic; other lakers being diverted to Superior entry 5 miles away.

These are 1,000 ft vessels; I believe this laker got the bow caught by incoming current and couldn’t make the turn...and these lakers cannot stop on a dime.

Posts: 2944 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that area of Duluth and have spent a lot of time watching the 1000 foot ships as they pass. I wonder what the cockpit (bridge) conversation was like.
Someone will get into trouble for that, and I feel bad for that, but nobody got arrested, nobody got pregnant and nobody got hurt so....

Make it count

Posts: 1415 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
That thing's huge.
There is video here w/ phone footage.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.c...ground-duluth-harbor

Posts: 7382 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We haven't seen one of the 1,000 footers yet. They're ugly ships though. We like the older ships. For example, this is a picture I took of the Wilfred Sykes (built in 1949, still powered by steam, and my 8 yo son's 4th favorite ship) leaving Port Calcite a few weeks ago:

We're going to the Soo Locks next week and hope to see some ships we normal wouldn't see.

Posts: 11023 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Looks like it’s floated now. Video shows it lined up with Aerial Bridge with Coast Guard vessels apparently still interested...

Posts: 2944 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Them boys otta invest in a Humminbird.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Them boys otta invest in a Humminbird.

After the Edmund Fitzgerald sank, the NTSB recommended all ships on the Great Lakes be equipped with fathometers.

Groundings in cargo ports aren't uncommon.

Posts: 11023 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11340 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fH-F1I7Pro

You can see him really putting the coal to it using (I assume) full reverse. You can also see bottom and detritus being stirred up.

I think they are now moored at Calumet fuel dock (well, used to be Calumet Fuel...maybe now it's Husky fuel).

posted Hide Post
We just got back from a motorcycle trip to Duluth this weekend. Was fun watching the ships coming in and out, but wowzers, there are some seriously odd folks that walk Canal Park...

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post