SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boeing and Airbus planes were constructed with 'fake' Chinese titanium that could cause their jets to break apart in mid-air, FAA fears
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boeing and Airbus planes were constructed with 'fake' Chinese titanium that could cause their jets to break apart in mid-air, FAA fears Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Most of the world's titanium is in Russia, but at least it isn't fake.

Titanium is far more difficult to shape than just about every other metal or metal alloy in existence. How are these problems not found when trying to work the metal?

I have a piece of titanium, and it is relatively soft. Cutting is probably not a problem, but bending might be.

I believe it is difficult to weld.

I say this because I was having a pair of eyeglasses repaired a number of years ago. When I inquired with the repair technician as to whether the eyeglasses were fixable, he said he could solder monel metal and stainless steel, but not titanium.

Posts: 6712 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Fake titanium is on the Periodic Table of elements. Its called Fakeium. The abbreviation is FU.
The Chinese probably don't care either.

There were a batch of engines that had hairline cracks in the fans years ago. The best known engine failure was Flight 232. Im not saying this was Chinese but the crack was missed during inspection. There is more to the story and it is very interesting.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post