SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Orange meringue pie?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orange meringue pie? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My mother was a good cook, and made many delish pies, including lemon meringue. I’ve always liked the flavor of oranges, so I ask her to make an orange meringue pie. She declined, saying that it wouldn’t work, but offered no explanation that I found convincing.

I don’t bake pies myself, but I know that many forum members do, so I’m asking for comments.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8974 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it. I'll try anything once if anybody is looking for a taste tester.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Yes, it’s doable. You use a little more juice as lemon juice is just stronger in flavor. But it’s easily doable. Now a lemon meringue pie is well balanced by the tartness of the lemon, and the sweetness of the meringue. With using orange, it’ll just be a lot sweeter. Not necessarily bad.
Honestly, most pies are easy to make, provided you have the equipment and can follow the directions to the letter. That’s the thing I don’t like about baking. Measurements have to be exact.

Grab a recipe and give it a shot. I think you’ll be happy with the results.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4027 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
...You use a little more juice as lemon juice is just stronger in flavor...
I bet doing a reduction on the orange juice would work too. The benefit would be keeping the same ratio of wet ingredients and dry ingredients as the base recipe.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Just guessing, but maybe orange juice isn't acidic enough to curdle the filling. I guess lemon juice could be added, but then it wouldn't likely taste what you anticipated.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
As to the reduction and curdling, and the recipes I have read, it’s different chemistry. You have to use a starch (most call for corn starch) to thicken the orange filling. I’m with Todd though. I think using some concentrated OJ would add to the depth of flavor.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4027 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
You might try that with blood oranges - much more tart than Navel or Valencia varieties, but will still give you the orange flavor you're looking for.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Should be doable. I would make the custard with frozen concentrate OJ, evaporated milk, eggs, corn starch, sugar, orange zest, and salt, maybe a few small pours of cream. Especially the zest. Hard to think of any accent flavors to include, maybe cardamom, or mango, or tamarind...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'd rather try bacon meringue pie.

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
My mother was a good cook, and made many delish pies, including lemon meringue. I’ve always liked the flavor of oranges, so I ask her to make an orange meringue pie. She declined, saying that it wouldn’t work, but offered no explanation that I found convincing.

I don’t bake pies myself, but I know that many forum members do, so I’m asking for comments.

I wondered about that one time aloud, and mom substituted navel orange for lemon meringue recipe. It was too sweet. Not nearly as good as I would have thought...we mentioned it a few years later to my grand.other- a truly talented baker - who said the problem was the type of orange...and recommended using sour oranges (Seville oranges) instead. It worked much better.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
As to the reduction and curdling, and the recipes I have read, it’s different chemistry. You have to use a starch (most call for corn starch) to thicken the orange filling. I’m with Todd though. I think using some concentrated OJ would add to the depth of flavor.

I've never heard of it, but would prefer it to lemon meringue. But also think the orange would need to be concentrated.

Updated to add: I just googled recipes on it and they all use orange juice concentrate, cornstarch and some lemon juice.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
My mother was a world class baker especially famous for her lemon meringue pies. Back in the 60s I remember my dad bringing home a box of oranges someone had given him and mom made a couple orange meringue pies. They were good but lemon was better.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Try this. This will fill two generous 10 inch pie shells.

Water 4 pints
Sugar 1 lb
add together bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. While the water/sugar is coming up to heat in a separate bowl combine the following ingredients.

Egg yolks 8 each
whole eggs 4 each
Cornstarch 6 ounces
sugar 8 ounces
grated orange zest 1/2 ounce, or from 2 oranges

Mix the sugar and cornstarch together
Add the egg yolks and whole eggs together.
Combine eggs and sugar/starch together using whisk mix until smooth.

Temper the eggs/sugar with some of the hot sugar/water mix.

Return the egg/starch mix to the pot with the remaining sugar/ water.

With a wisk stir the entire mixture over medium heat until it starts to bubble and thicken.

Remove from the stove, add in 4 ounces of soft butter and 8 ounces of a strong orange juice (blood oranges if you can find them) if you're using orange juice reduce 12-14 ounce to 8 ounce volume.

Generally the mix is poured into a 10 inch fluted pie shell which has been previously baked.

This is called blind baking, pin out pie dough, place in pie pan crumble up a piece of parchment paper, unfold it in the pie shell and fill with beans to prevent it from rising up. Bake at moderate heat 350 or so. and then cool

If your orange juice is weak you can always add in some orange extract, but reducing the volume down results in a better product.

If you half the recipe, you'll end up with a generous 10 inch pie.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments folks. Answered my question perfectly.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8974 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post