SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got My Digital Clock Kit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got My Digital Clock Kit Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
it arrived after a 3 week shipping adventure from Poland

I am building a 12/24 hour digital clock that uses Nixie tubes, and its all discrete components

gonna flash up ye old soldering iron this weekend but I need a new ground strap for the IC's before I socket them

Posts: 53214 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yeah, they probably wouldn't know what to do with a few transistors, capacitors, resistors and blinking lights Smile

I plan on setting this one to Zulu time for my ham shack

Posts: 53214 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Aw shucks, you can't give us a tease like that without telling us what tubes you are using. Frown 568?

Single tube? Four tubes? Six tubes? A Pixie to count seconds? Antenna to synchronize with the world clock? Inquiring minds want to know...

A good flux pen is a must. Be sure to compensate for meter loading when calibrating the power supply.

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
should be a six tube kit with IN12A tubes

if I was going to enter it in a science fair, it wouldn't be a clock - it would be a count-down timer Big Grin

I have a Siglent SDS1104X-E 100 Mhz scope

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Just don't bring it to a science fair.
Don't do that. You know better than that.

Posts: 107676 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't have any way to host photos but I will take some photos of all the parts, the two circuit boards, base and the pieces.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I don't have any way to host photos
Try postImage. There's a free (as in no-cost) option, and you don't even have to sign up for an account.

I use it for everything except my avatar -- postimage doesn't do avatars.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30708 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of getting one of those for the man cave, until I read Nixie tubes don't last a long time. Odd I didn't know that until recently, being as I weaned my electronics teeth on glow-bottles.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
V-Tail

will try that - thanks

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I don't have any way to host photos but I will take some photos of all the parts, the two circuit boards, base and the pieces.
just email them to me.
I'll put them up.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thanks for putting these up Mark - appreciate it

this clock is going in my ham 'shack' but I'd also like to make one for my observatory and I need a countdown timer with a chime for tracking aircraft check ins

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting, like to see it when you have it finished...

Posts: 23517 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
That's cool! I love tinkering projects.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Can you post your source for these items?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17291 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Can you post your source for these items?

its a kit that I purchased, and the source is in Poland

I will get you some info