SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Survivor benefits for spouse of Korean War vet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Survivor benefits for spouse of Korean War vet Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
Dad served in the Korean War, his ship was fired upon, and he was eligible for benefits, which he never applied for or used. He passed away years ago, and now Mom could use, and qualifies for spousal survivor benefits. My question is, does anyone know of a reputable organization or company that could assist her? The VA administers the program, but makes it very difficult to claim the benefits. We live in Arizona, if that makes any regional difference.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I would contact your local American Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars. Both I believe have persons who could help or if they cannot perhaps could point you toward someone who could.

Posts: 540 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) is another good organization that should be able to help.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Your location doesn’t help, but check with your local government offices.
We have a veteran administrator as part of the city or county level. This is what they do,

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
You might contact her congress critter's office.

Posts: 833 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of benefits ?

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your representative in congress has staff and this is exactly the kind of thing they do to help constituents.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My oldest daughter helped her husbands grandfather, a WW2 vet get more benefits, oddly enough a man that fought in the Battle of the Bulge had little information and help fighting the government for full VA benefits.

She researched everything, found all the methods and procedures and after months got him the benefits he was to have received, and that he missed for probably 30 years.

They made it difficult to get what the government said he was supposed to get.

Good suggestions have been made here on where to start, your congress critter is the best, nothing goes over better on a congressman's resume than helping a vet..

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most VFW posts have a trained veterans service officer that handles these issues.

Posts: 3298 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usmc-nav:
I would contact your local American Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars. Both I believe have persons who could help or if they cannot perhaps could point you toward someone who could.

Correct answer in the first post. I'm more familiar with VFW as I'm a member but each camp has a liason officer who will help with the paperwork as they know the ins and outs. The VFW also serves to help any veteran in need.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19702 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congress person’s office and if it’s a really egregious situation or your mom has an especially sympathetic story your local TV channel consumer advocate reporter may be of some help especially when they show up with a Camera crew to the local VA/congress office and demand why nobody is helping this poor 90 year old widow.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
https://www.va.gov/family-member-benefits/

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post