SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
My sister's birthday was over the weekend, so the family came over and after success with a 5lb and 6lb brisket I stepped up to a 10.5 lb piece.

Cooked it for just shy of 10 hours, up to 203 internal, never wrapped it. Wasn't quite as tender at the smaller ones that I cooked for 8ish hours, but was pretty close. The flavor might have been just a tad better though. And certainly the best smoke ring I have achieved.

I find the bigger the brisket the better for me. I tend to dry little ones out too much. I like to cook 15-16# versions

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

I find the bigger the brisket the better for me. I tend to dry little ones out too much. I like to cook 15-16# versions

How long do you cook them for? I was thinking of doing two smaller (5-7 lb each) ones next time I need more meat. I am scared of doing the overnight cook. Plus, I really, really like my sleep.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem: How long do you cook them for? I was thinking of doing two smaller (5-7 lb each) ones next time I need more meat. I am scared of doing the overnight cook. Plus, I really, really like my sleep.

I smoke to an internal temperature, not time. That said, on my Traeger at 225 degrees it's roughly 1 hr/lb for the 15-16lb packer cuts. I like to put mine on about 9:00 or 10:00pm and check them when I decide to get up the next morning, and only after I've had my first cup of coffee. That's plenty of time for me to get my much-needed beauty sleep. After you do it a few times you'll gain confidence in your smoker and sleep like a baby dreaming of the great brisket you'll be eating the next day.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
For smaller briskets the tenderness has a lot to do with which cut you have, the point or the flat. The flat is very lean and harder to keep moist. Usually when I see a brisket that’s not a whole packer it’s the flat. In any case I always cook an entire packer brisket. They are usually around 12 pounds after I trim them. If you are afraid of an overnight cook you can do it in the smoker for about six hours and then put it in the oven overnight to sleep for about another six. You can even go a little lower temperature in the oven to make sure it takes long enough for a good nights sleep. You can hold the brisket in a cooler wrapped in towels and foil for eight hours with no problem. So serving time is not an issue. The meat should probe like butter. I cook to feel not temp. My last brisket was only at about 195 and it was ready. Usually I’m closer to 205.

Holdem, as far as tenderness, it's hard to tell from the pic but you may have sliced in the wrong direction. Although the point and flat meat grain goes in opposite directions, so if you don't separate them you will always have some sliced in the wrong direction. I turn the meat at about the halfway point.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
My Wife found one of her Marinade Recipe's and wanted to try and Kroger's Had Chuck Roast on sale so we picked one that we thought had some good Marbling. And we made a side of Bacon wrapped Onion Rings. Onion rings were good. Meat marinade was good But next time i am buying a better cut of meat

I think they call that rest a Texas Crutch', whatever it's called it really works to get the juices flowing in the meat.

I love to smoke and eat chuck roasts, but to do one, think low and slow like a brisket. If you just tried to "grill it", it will be big time tough.

I smoke my seasoned chuck roast for 2-3 hours @ 225F with hickory. Then wrap in double layer of foil and add 1/2 bottle of a yeasty beer. Close up well and back on the smoker @ 225F for another 3-4 hours. Remove and let it rest 1-2 hours. They literally will fall apart.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by holdem: How long do you cook them for? I was thinking of doing two smaller (5-7 lb each) ones next time I need more meat. I am scared of doing the overnight cook. Plus, I really, really like my sleep.

I smoke to an internal temperature, not time. That said, on my Traeger at 225 degrees it's roughly 1 hr/lb for the 15-16lb packer cuts. I like to put mine on about 9:00 or 10:00pm and check them when I decide to get up the next morning, and only after I've had my first cup of coffee. That's plenty of time for me to get my much-needed beauty sleep. After you do it a few times you'll gain confidence in your smoker and sleep like a baby dreaming of the great brisket you'll be eating the next day.

This...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a 4 pound flat brisket on my Yoder Saturday and it was good but could have been jucier.

The cut wasn't the best (thinner on one end) so I had a temperature conflict on the 2 sides. Ended up pulling it off at 205 on one side and 200 on the other. Left it in the cooler for an hour.

If I am going to let it rest in a cooler for an hour do I need to take it up to 203? I have read that you can pull it off sooner if you are wrapping and resting in cooler since the temperature will rise up to 10 degrees.

Any other suggestions or do you think the small uneven cut is to blame?

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
For smaller briskets the tenderness has a lot to do with which cut you have, the point or the flat. The flat is very lean and harder to keep moist.

If you are afraid of an overnight cook you can do it in the smoker for about six hours and then put it in the oven overnight to sleep for about another six.

Holdem, as far as tenderness, it's hard to tell from the pic but you may have sliced in the wrong direction.

[/IMG]

I have only cooked 4 briskets. The first was a whole. I did not cook long enough or to proper temp. The next three were flat. I prefer the flat as I prefer a leaner cut. But no problems with moistness, it has been leaking out when I cut them.

I need to just pony up and buy that overnight controller / fan thing and then I can do a big one and sleep like a baby. But I like the tip of cooking some, storing, cooking more later.

Hmmmm, I am not sure, I sliced it the same way I have the other three flats.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem: Hmmmm, I am not sure, I sliced it the same way I have the other three flats.

Just as a refresher, here's a good video on how to cut a brisket (skip to 6:45). While trimming the brisket before the smoke, that's a good time to determine how you're ultimately going to cut the brisket starting at the corner of the flat. I've had great success by always cutting 90 degrees off the grain which puts your knife blade approximately 45 degrees off the corner you've determined to be the starting point.

When I first got my smoker I probably watched all of Aaron Franklin's videos to get smarter on smoking. Lot's of other video options out there as well.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Restocked cherry and hickory today. Starting 3 briskets tomorrow morning at 3am.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Did another pork butt since they were $0.97/lb.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Also for brisket in particular, prevailing wisdom continues to evolve toward holding after cooking for a long time is not just possible, but preferable. I'm talking like 3-8 hours. Obviously you have to have something beyond just a simple cooler to maintain safe temps that long.

Also seen folks wrapping the still-paper wrapped brisket in plastic wrap for long holds to maintain moisture. May have to try that.

Finally, last brisket I cooked and one of our best ever I let temp drop to 180 before even starting any sort of controlled hold by putting in my cooler after reaching that temp. Let it rest another 2.5 hours from that point. Incredible. Theory is still get benefits of hold without the fibers continuing to break down at the higher temps straight off the cooker. I'm becoming a believer but not so much that I'm buying a commercial hold oven.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Getting ready for a reverse sear.

I'm going to smoke it at 240F until internal temp hits 135F. I'll sear it at 500F for a couple of minutes on each side.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Ooohhh with some broccoli...best side to a steak.

Looks friggin delicious.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Also for brisket in particular, prevailing wisdom continues to evolve toward holding after cooking for a long time is not just possible, but preferable. I'm talking like 3-8 hours. Obviously you have to have something beyond just a simple cooler to maintain safe temps that long.

Also seen folks wrapping the still-paper wrapped brisket in plastic wrap for long holds to maintain moisture. May have to try that.

Finally, last brisket I cooked and one of our best ever I let temp drop to 180 before even starting any sort of controlled hold by putting in my cooler after reaching that temp. Let it rest another 2.5 hours from that point. Incredible. Theory is still get benefits of hold without the fibers continuing to break down at the higher temps straight off the cooker. I'm becoming a believer but not so much that I'm buying a commercial hold oven.

Have you tried using a sous vide water bath for post-cook hold? I haven’t tried it yet but it seems like a good way to keep the meat at a consistent temperature for several hours.

Posts: 988 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Have you tried using a sous vide water bath for post-cook hold? I haven’t tried it yet but it seems like a good way to keep the meat at a consistent temperature for several hours.

I think if you wrap the brisket in plastic for sous vide you risk making the bark soggy.

I've held 8 hours in a cooler no problem. But i did put it in straight out of the smoker, so it was hot to start. If the meat is cooked you really don't have to worry so much about staying above 140. Everything is dead already anyhow and it's unlikely some nasty bacteria are gonna infect the cooked meat that you've wrapped and put in a cooler.

But the idea of bringing it to 180 first is maybe a great idea. My very first and very best brisket ever was done way early and I was concerned about holding it. I wrapped and put in the oven at 170 for about 4 hours before finally putting in a cooler for another 4. I can't say that's why it was the best ever but it was. I should probably try that again.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Have a 7lb Pork Shoulder on today.

The proverbial Before shot:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^^That's the way the one I did on Sunday started out. Then, I took a nap and woke up to the smoker running 350. I'd kick myself if I could. The meat wound up moist, tender, and pulled beautifully, but it sorely lacked flavor. It didn't pickup any smoke, the rub lost all the brown sugar and most of the spices. Six pounds of bland pork.

What do you guys do with leftover pulled pork or leftover brisket?

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you guys do with leftover pulled pork or leftover brisket?

We routinely cook more than we can eat. We seal and freeze our leftovers. I love using bacon grease in a cast iron pan to warm up pulled pork.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I vacuum pack and freeze leftover brisket and pulled pork in portions for two.

Our favorite leftover recipe for brisket are wraps. Low carbs for us so I use romaine.

I cube the brisket into very small pieces, no bigger than 1/4 inch. In a large pan I’ll sauté red onion, jalapeños, minced garlic and then add the meat and season. Add the brisket and to the pan last so it doesn’t dry out.

I use cumin, coriander, red pepper flake, fresh cilantro, salt and pepper.

When it’s all hot and seasoned throughout spoon into the wrap of you choice, top with shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes and salsa.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post