SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
My Wife found one of her Marinade Recipe's and wanted to try and Kroger's Had Chuck Roast on sale so we picked one that we thought had some good Marbling. And we made a side of Bacon wrapped Onion Rings. Onion rings were good. Meat marinade was good But next time i am buying a better cut of meat

I love to smoke and eat chuck roasts, but to do one, think low and slow like a brisket. If you just tried to "grill it", it will be big time tough.

I smoke my seasoned chuck roast for 2-3 hours @ 225F with hickory. Then wrap in double layer of foil and add 1/2 bottle of a yeasty beer. Close up well and back on the smoker @ 225F for another 3-4 hours. Remove and let it rest 1-2 hours. They literally will fall apart.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
40doc
Thanks for the tip.
I am still trying to get a handle on Controlling the heat on my Kettle . it had good flavor it was just Chewy

Posts: 1600 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give it a try at low temp......I think you will be pleased.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
I am still trying to get a handle on Controlling the heat on my Kettle.

I don't have a kettle, but I have seen people use the Snake Method when smoking for long periods of time.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
For those of you dealing with temp control in a Weber kettle try this Slow-N-Sear device. I've heard it works great. I rarely use a kettle for anything other than maybe burgers or brats so I'm not going to drop the bucks for one but if you use a kettle as you're main cooker it's probably worth the investment. It has a vertical water reservoir in it is what makes it work as it performs as a heat sink.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
The bbq shack is coming along nicely. Table top is coming tomorrow. The steel roof should be finished next week.

I managed to get 2nd for ribs in the backyard BBQ competition at our small town annual festival. I did not place for chicken I think I left them in the brine too long. They were too salty.

First time cooking Tri Tips. Wow, they were fantastic, and the wife's parents loved them too!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
So I got a Kamado Joe about 6 weeks ago. First time I have ever grilled in my life. And I am loving it.

On Sunday I grilled a 3" thick Prime grade tomahawk ribeye that I had picked up from Costco. Perfect medium rare in the center, perfect char on the outside.

Then on Monday I attempted my second brisket. It was a 5lb choice grade flat, also from Costco. I rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, 4 Rivers all purpose rub and a little Montreal Steak Seasoning. I had the grill at 225 degrees and put it on at 6:01am. And there it sat until about 1:30pm. By then I had sprayed it with water a few times and the internal temps seemed to have peaked at around 160 degrees. I raised the temp of the grill to 275 degrees and over the next hour it came up to 180 degrees. I then wrapped it in foil and brought the grill up to 375 degrees to finish it off and pulled it off at exactly 203 degrees. That was at 3pm, 9 hours to cook a 5 lb brisket. It sat wrapped in that foil in a cooler for an hour and then I took it out to slice it up.

And I have to pat myself on the back, not only was it the best brisket I have ever had, it might have been the best piece of meat I have ever had.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Good job! That rib eye brisket looks very good!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It does look like a nice brisket.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That tri tip looks perfect!!

Nicely done!!!

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
No pics, but I smoked some baby back ribs on the BGE yesterday. Rubbed one in Bad Byrons butt rub, and the other in Dizzy Pig. Smoked at 235 with oak lump charcoal and hickory chunks. Roughly every 30 mins spritzed with water to form a bark.

Bad Byrons was a Sigforum recommendation from a few years ago, and it produces a nice bark and delicious flavor. Always get compliments on food I cook with it.

Dizzy Pig was bought on a whim at Ace Hardware. It didn't produce even close to as good of bark and the taste was so boring. Pretty disappointed in it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Made some BBQ for my friends. I finally made both BBQ and white slaw. Pretty much perfected at this point.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sadly I did not take a picture and for that I apologize.
Made a couple Dino Beef Ribs from Costco.
It was like $30 for two ribs but oh so worth it.
Smoked it on the BGE for 6+ hours hours and it was incredible.
Nothing like the super beefy taste - like Brisket on steroids.
I highly recommend beef lovers to do this and NEXT time I will include pics.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Shame smschulz!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Jeff looks absolutely amazing!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

posted Hide Post
Jeff

That just pegged my drool meter!!

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys….Dino Ribs….brisket on a stick.

Seasoned with salt, pepper and sumac. 250F until internal temp hit 170, wrapped until 203F.

The Sumac really helps with developing a nice bark.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^Same here. So when I go to the butcher tomorrow, what do I ask for to get ribs like those?

Never mind. I see Mr. Yarchin got a post in before me. Dino ribs.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I think these are officially plate ribs.