SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School resource officer on leave for using sound of Taser to wake sleeping student
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School resource officer on leave for using sound of Taser to wake sleeping student Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
How was this in any way unsafe?

It wasn’t. But of course officers must be aware of their department policies no matter how inane they might seem. If policy says “Don’t play with your TASER,” don’t play with your TASER.

And although nothing of the sort is going to be offered to me at my stage of life, I would live in a box in an alley before working at any job involving interacting with children these days. At least a box wouldn’t be a jail cell.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
How was this in any way unsafe?

It wasn’t. But of course officers must be aware of their department policies no matter how inane they might seem. If policy says “Don’t play with your TASER,” don’t play with your TASER.

And although nothing of the sort is going to be offered to me at my stage of life, I would live in a box in an alley before working at any job involving interacting with children these days. At least a box wouldn’t be a jail cell.

I get the SOP issue... absolutely if your SOP says don't screw around with your taser, don't screw around with your taser. But I still don't see it as a safety concern, and I definitely don't understand why the chief would be checking with the prosecutor about criminal charges. This seems like a ridiculous overreaction to a situation that should have been easily resolved internally without turning into a news story or a criminal case.

Posts: 9249 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one in their right mind would fall asleep in a Parochial school classroom. Everyone feared Nuns with 18" steel edge rulers.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
No one in their right mind would fall asleep in a Parochial school classroom. Everyone feared Nuns with 18" steel edge rulers.

I went to a Presbyterian private school for middle school...the teachers use a yard stick that was easily 1/4 inch thick..not the flimsy lowes brand ones...a good thick ole stick edgewise hurts !!!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not to mention the second beating by your parent when you arrived home, because the nun had to whip you.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1995 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are plenty of stories of how in the good ol' days blah blah, but the fact remains, it's a dumb ass unprofessional thing to do. And I do not excuse it one bit. You want to be a security guard and carry a taser and have a job, and get paid. Act like a professional.

Keep in mind that others have a story too. Maybe the kids home life is hell on earth and he's sleep deprived and barely hanging on. Maybe not. But maybe. Walk a mile in another's shoes.

Between this and this persons prior accident with a taser, I'm thinking perhaps they should be in another line of work where the toys are less dangerous.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
My agency considers a spark display a use of force. It is unauthorized with his, I guarantee it. Pretty dumb move.

I agree.

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
You want to be a security guard and carry a taser and have a job, and get paid. Act like a professional.

I agree with the sentiment. But I feel obliged to point out that School Resource Officers are not merely security guards. They are police officers.

Unlike a security guard, providing physical security for the school and its occupants is only one part of a SRO's role.

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of stories of how in the good ol' days blah blah, but the fact remains, it's a dumb ass unprofessional thing to do. And I do not excuse it one bit. You want to be a security guard and carry a taser and have a job, and get paid. Act like a professional.

Keep in mind that others have a story too. Maybe the kids home life is hell on earth and he's sleep deprived and barely hanging on. Maybe not. But maybe. Walk a mile in another's shoes.

Between this and this persons prior accident with a taser, I'm thinking perhaps they should be in another line of work where the toys are less dangerous.

Maybe a return to the good old days, when people took responsibility for their own action is a good idea, ya' think.

In case you forget, taxpayers FUND public education. Kids asleep in classrooms are a waste of taxpayer monies.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My agency considers a spark display a use of force. It is unauthorized with his, I guarantee it. Pretty dumb move.

Many of the gun shows that I have attended have vendors displaying the stun devices that they sell and turn them on pressing the button making the sound and displaying the arc'd electric current. NONE OF THEM have been charged with unauthorized display of force. Idiot SNOW Flakes I tell ya !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3094 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe a return to the good old days, when people took responsibility for their own action is a good idea, ya' think.

In case you forget, taxpayers FUND public education. Kids asleep in classrooms are a waste of taxpayer monies.

Yeah. That kid is practically stealing. And that's the point here. Not the douche with the taser. The kid. Thank you for straightening me out.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:

Many of the gun shows that I have attended have vendors displaying the stun devices that they sell and turn them on pressing the button making the sound and displaying the arc'd electric current. NONE OF THEM have been charged with unauthorized display of force. Idiot SNOW Flakes I tell ya !!! God Bless Smile

There is a vast difference between a vendor sparking at a booth, and a police officer using a piece of defensive gear to make a statement. I’d bet a large cup of coffee it was a clear policy violation in the officers department. The word snowflake has nothing to do with it. A use of force is a use of force; in today’s environment it is a foolish mistake.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
You have to question have a sleeping student gets a school resource officer involved. To reach that point the teacher likely tried to wake her, then called the officer.
First question is why they didn’t call the school nurse. My bet is that the student has done this before.

When I was teaching there was one student that would sleep every day. Problem was, if he was asleep, we got a lot done. Anyway, he’d sleep and waking him up was at times impossible. I’m pretty sure he was faking as a power trip.

My bet is that this student was doing something similar. It doesn’t excuse the behavior. It does show there is stuff missing in the story.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post