SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Credit card fraud warning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit card fraud warning Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
We received our bank statement today, and there was a charge on it that turns out to be a fraud!

The number appears to be a phone number, 402-935-7733 CA.

We reported it to our bank which withdrew that charge, then cancelled our cards. Have to wait 7-10 days to get the new ones.

Watch your bank statements carefully!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Good idea. But, I don't even wait that long. I check my charges via the card issuers website at least once a week.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd add a credit freeze to that.
They are now free and easy to do and undo as needed.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My bank sends me a notification every time my card is used. Usually within seconds. For example, if I swipe my card at a checkout I often get the notice before I can walk away from the counter. It is awesome and works as an app on my phone. Perhaps yours has a similar option??? At least you know immediately... no checking of your account necessary.

It also individually...
lets you instantly suspend a card
set a max transaction amount
decline ATM transfers
decline international transactions
decline online transactions
notify you if a transaction is attempted without the card present
notify you of declined charges

I think the app is by "card control" but is promoted and branded by my Credit Union.

As a bonus it lets me track my wife spending in real time... when, where and how much as she and I have cards on a shared account. Big Grin.

EDIT to add: We put everything on our credit card and pay off monthly because of 1.5% cash back on everything... so it gets a lot of use.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We reported it to our bank which withdrew that charge, then cancelled our cards. Have to wait 7-10 days to get the new ones.

^^^^^^^
My turn around time on new cards is much less. They can certainly overnight them and give you a number to use in the interim.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Have to wait 7-10 days to get the new ones.

WOW, I had a new card the next day last week after I had a fraudulent charge show up.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Gawd, I'm so old fashioned. Long ago I discovered this thing they call "cash". It still seems to work OK for me. I do use a credit card for fuel purchases because I'm too lazy to walk inside.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I'd add a credit freeze to that.
They are now free and easy to do and undo as needed.

Our credit cards were canceled, and the bank has been notified as well. The bank removed the charges.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Have to wait 7-10 days to get the new ones.

WOW, I had a new card the next day last week after I had a fraudulent charge show up.

The new one may well be here sooner than that. That is their standard answer.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Most banks will create new cards for you at your local branch at no charge. We had the same thing happen, went to the bank and got new cards the next day.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That phone number is associated with PayPal. It is possible, that someone managed to put the number into a title.

If you use PayPal, you might check your account with them.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smar...rd-statement-faq3722

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The times I've had to have a card cancelled, and they say a week or so to get the new one, I claim hardship and nicely ask for express delivery. They've done it every time, overnight or 2nd day air. I get the feeling it is something they will do if you ask, but they won't offer it up front.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
402 is Eastern Nebraska Area code.

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post