SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum electrical experts: Advice on power conditioners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum electrical experts: Advice on power conditioners? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
I've been told that the electric service to the home varies more than normal, that it isn't clean in its fluctuations high and low.

I've found reference to devices that will "clean" up the smoothness of the power delivery.

I'm wondering if they are worthwhile, if they are more worthwhile when one has a natural gas home backup generator that can kick in, or other factors and advice that you might have. Here are a couple links.

I'd like to protect home electronics, LED lights etc to greater extent than just surge protectors.

Isolation line conditioners
Power conditioners

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
There are surge protectors, and then there are surge protectors, they look alike and work quite differently. I use devices that have automatic voltage regulation(AVR), or whatever a particular manufacturer happens to call it.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Have you measured the voltage coming into your home? Does it fluctuate? By how much?

Have you contacted your provider to let them know your service is degraded? Have they come out and looked at your servicing transformer? Do they agree that is out of spec?

Before you go out and buy a bunch of needless stuff, first ensure you have a problem.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Great advice, will call them!

Yes, I've been told by IT contractors that there is a lot of variance.

I do have some surge protectors that regulate for their devices and know I've seen 117-122, but that's just me watching and I don't know how telling they are.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, an IT contractor told you that you have degraded electrical service? Call me skeptical.

Are they certified electricians? I doubt they're measuring the power at the panel and I would think that it would be something that would need to be measured over time. An instantaneous measurement is not going to prove much.

Do you experience breaker pops, brown outs, recurring disruption of service?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For point of use, they will work. For your electrical service prayer may be a better option unless you have a lot of money to throw at it.

I'd talk with utility provider. There should not be large fluctuations on day to day basis.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
We have 1 breaker, probably one GFCI on it, that trips repeatedly. I"m going to change that one out and see what happens.

We've lost some LED bulbs that shouldn't have gone so very fast.

I am going to call the utility.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I've been told that the electric service to the home varies more than normal, that it isn't clean in its fluctuations high and low.

Just out of curiousity: Who told you that? And I wonder exactly what they meant by it.

ETA: Disregard. Saw it after I posted. (I started my reply a while ago. Got interrupted.)

quote:
I've found reference to devices that will "clean" up the smoothness of the power delivery.

A whole-house power conditioner I would imagine would be an expensive proposition. Individual branch or outlet/device conditioners?

quote:
I'm wondering if they are worthwhile, ...

It's been my personal experience that anything that didn't deal well with the normal variances in commercial power delivery were best served by a capable UPS.

Place where I work used to (?) put them on some products that went on the plant floor, where pretty serious power fluctuations are common--especially in body shops. (Resistance welding gear, depending upon its firing sequence, can actually cause 480 service busses to physically flex.)

quote:
I ... know I've seen 117-122, but that's just me watching and I don't know how telling they are.

To know what's really happening you have to drop a chart recorder on the mains. You might just have some lousy branch circuits.

quote:
We have 1 breaker, probably one GFCI on it, that trips repeatedly. I"m going to change that one out and see what happens.

The breaker trips repeatedly, or the GFCI? Or is it a GFCI breaker?

quote:
We've lost some LED bulbs that shouldn't have gone so very fast.

*Hmph* LED replacement bulbs are still in their infancy. TBH: I would not go replacing a bunch of incandescent bulbs with LED, again, like we already did. 1. The energy savings is not really all that great, IMO and 2. They don't appear to live nearly as long as claimed.

We stocked-up on a bunch of incandescent bulbs when the threat of them going away was presented. Then we replaced most incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs and wondered "Now what're we going to do with all these incandescent bulbs we bought?" I'll tell you what we're going to do with them: Use them to replace the verkakte LED bulbs that don't last worth a tinker's damn.

And, btw, I know how my power behaves, because I've got a smart UPS on it that watches it. It's actually pretty decent.

And we have a whole-house surge suppressor on the main coming into the distribution panel.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Current varies in all systems. To make the electric current more stable, with less variation, Uninterrupted Power Supplies have been available. Basically, they have current coming into the unit, then directed into storage units (batteries). The current then goes through filters and other regulating components and comes out in a very consistent regulated form. They are used for this purpose in labs, hospitals, and to make sure current is available to electronic hardware in case of interruption by weather or other reasons. I don't know what is on the market these days, but it's worth a look.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The question is: what are you trying to protect? And does the cost/benefit equation justify it?

I bought a line conditioner for my "expensive" tv. It became obsolete and crapped out long before the line conditioner did. When I bought it and told a co-worker who was into tv's and audios, he said it wasn't worth it as modern tv's have circuits that control that

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20021 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Not an "IT guy" per se, but I can tell you if I was going to diagnose an incoming power problem I would probably be connecting a data logger to the incoming power and leaving it there for at least a couple days, probably a week if it's really intermittent.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Current varies in all systems. To make the electric current more stable, with less variation, Uninterrupted Power Supplies have been available. Basically, they have current coming into the unit, then directed into storage units (batteries). The current then goes through filters and other regulating components and comes out in a very consistent regulated form. They are used for this purpose in labs, hospitals, and to make sure current is available to electronic hardware in case of interruption by weather or other reasons. I don't know what is on the market these days, but it's worth a look.

Just to be clear he is talking about double conversion units. A standard $100 UPS does NOT do this.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you invest in power conditioning equipment solely on someone else's assessment, why not rent a power quality monitor and leave that attached for a week or so? I know I'm dating myself but the gold standard in such equipment used to be a company named Dranetz. I'm not sure if they're even still in business but I'd bet if not there's similar equipment available out there somewhere. Research test equipment rental for possible sources. That would also give you a solid printed record with which to do battle with the power company if needed.

Good luck.

edit: Looks like I was typing while others above were offering essentially the same advice. Sorry about that. I really do read all posts before responding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post