SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fostering a litter of kittens
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fostering a litter of kittens Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
We have 2 dogs and a cat
The son just showed up with some sort of larpy hound mix, but he’s moving out soon, supposedly.

Now, the daughter who volunteers at the shelter agreed to foster a litter of 6 kittens for 3 weeks.
I guess the goal is to socialize them for adoption. She puts pics up on social media etc.

4 orange uns, a couple tiger stripe.
One orange’un is female,rest are male.

Since theres a time limit, I’ve had fun with the little buggers and have been giving them temporary names.

The little female is Stinky Butthole, the daughter said she corrected that issue, we agree to disagree

The largest male orange is long legged and friskier than the rest, I call him Stretch

The tiger stripe stares from the corner, won’t let you hold him and avoids pictures and other animals, Unabomber

The friendliest orange male is goofy and falls off of everything and runs into stuff, he is Urkel

Another orange terrorizes the house plants and chews on anything growing, we settled on Groot

That leaves the little tiger stripe male, he’s not anti social, just blends in with the group.
I call him Gray Man, the wife and daughter don’t get it of course, just think I’m unoriginal.

Have a week left before they go back and they all seem much more adjusted to humans, except for the UnaBomber,maybe he used this time to work on his manifesto

the closest shell gas station

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
There is nothing more innocent than a basket of kittens.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Awwww. I miss all the ones I fostered. The first few I stole from a feral mom who almost attacked me. The local humane society will not take any ferals. In less than a week they were falling asleep on me while I watched TV.

The last batch of three I was smarter and caught the queen so she she could continue to feed and clean them. The kittens have moved on but she's by my side when she's not laying out on the deck.
This is them the first night in captivity.
https://i.imgur.com/f3qbvXv.mp4

For little stinky bastards, they are easy to get attached to.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Awwww. I miss all the ones I fostered. The first few I stole from a feral mom who almost attacked me. The local humane society will not take any ferals. In less than a week they were falling asleep on me while I watched TV.

The last batch of three I was smarter and caught the queen so she she could continue to feed and clean them. The kittens have moved on but she's by my side when she's not laying out on the deck.
This is them the first night in captivity.
https://i.imgur.com/f3qbvXv.mp4

For little stinky bastards, they are easy to get attached to.

That's one very patient mom right there! Smile

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great names Elkabong!
Most of my outdoor cats have descriptive names _"Marble Cake/Trollop"(depending on the company), "Ginger Boy" etc. They work well - except for "Gray Ghost", who when he first turned up was a brief fleeting shadow glimpsed among the bushes...and now he's more like the Graf Zeppelin due to chunkiness...

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
i agree that their names are terrific. My kitties are Kitty, named by my granddaughter, Sam, Waffle and Aspen. All have unique personalities. Im sure you will enjoy yours. Ever think of renaming Gray Man to Gentry? Easier for cat to respond to shorter name.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
i agree that their names are terrific. My kitties are Kitty, named by my granddaughter, Sam, Waffle and Aspen. All have unique personalities. Im sure you will enjoy yours. Ever think of renaming Gray Man to Gentry? Easier for cat to respond to shorter name.

Yes, gentry it is
These names are for my amusement only.
Hopefully the little buggers all get adopted quickly.
It’s a good thing I don’t have a lot of room and money, I’d probably have 20 cats and even more dogs.
I’d build the Taj Mahal of animal shelters and wouldn’t care if they got adopted or not.
I like Animals much better than people these days.

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Great looking crew!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When are you changing the title to "Just got a new kitten"?

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont often admit this, but I once had 13 cats.
Im feeling much better now!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to play with those little buggers !!!

We will need more pics of them in this thread please ! Smile

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
These kittens are way too close to me. Showed the photo to my girls, they loved it.
It’s a good thing you’re WAY far away on the other side of WV. Wink
(You’re actually not far away...I lied to the girls.)

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cuties, and good for you.

We took in a stray momma cat a couple of years ago. She wasn't feral, but is a little wild. She had five babies, and we found homes for three. We still have two, and the momma.

Kittens are the best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have taken in 2 litters of kittens from feral cats. Both of the feral moms left shortly after weaning them.

Finally got all fixed after making friends with them. (Too broke now. Lost my job to COVID-19).

5 of them remain with us. 3 have disappeared. Kept hoping that they would return. Coyotes or dogs, I suppose. I still miss them. D@mn my allergies are bothering me!

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have had 7 kittens born to feral cats in my indoor menagerie. Two of them have died, so I have 5 remaining. They were all born in or near my fenced-in back yard, and I also fed the feral mothers there (both of which have also died). I now have just one feral kitty coming to the yard for food -- she is a sweetie and lets me pet her. (I spent $4000 having her broken leg fixed.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have had 7 kittens born to feral cats in my indoor menagerie. Two of them have died, so I have 5 remaining. They were all born in or near my fenced-in back yard, and I also fed the feral mothers there (both of which have also died). I now have just one feral kitty coming to the yard for food -- she is a sweetie and lets me pet her. (I spent $4000 having her broken leg fixed.)

flashguy

You, sir are a good man! May you be blessed for your kindness! She knows that you care.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Back In Orlando we fed an outdoor cat. My daughter named it Shadow. It had a schedule and knew that after I got back from walking the dogs, it was time to eat. My daughter would shake the cup of cat food and that was the signal for Shadow to start crossing the street.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
All of the kittens, except one, went back to the shelter Monday
They were all adopted by today. Daughter was very happy, we had them well socialized after 3 weeks
We had 2 cats until last summer, when our oldest one passed away.
I knew this was a ruse the whole time lol
The little female, Stinky Butthole, didn’t make the trip back to the shelter.

She has a big personality, and cuddles/purrs like a champ. I saw about a week in what was happening when they would keep her out after putting the other kittens back in the spare bedroom where they slept.

Shortened the name to Stinky.

She got a new toy today from Amazon.
Th is is about 90 seconds of 45 minutes non stop.
The big white cat randomly smacks her for no reason, claws in, she could care less and continues to annoy him.

--Riff Raff--

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've had toys like that one for my kitties. They don't last long. The kittens manage to pull the balls out of the races and they get lost.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I think there's a rule somewhere that you have to keep a kitten you've named... Razz

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post