SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fatal F/A 18 crash very near us
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fatal F/A 18 crash very near us Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Miramar MCAS is very close to us; a hike up the hill just outside the neighborhood will give you a great view of the runway. (But if you go there during the air show they will chase you away due to safety concerns.)
Friday morning 8/25/23 we woke to news that there had been a crash of an F/A 18 Hornet east of Miramar on Thursday night just before midnight.
The next day it was reported that the pilot had died in the crash. There was no damage to property on the ground.
The landing approach is very close to us, <1/4 mile I think.
We did not hear anything that night but were asleep.
Our thoughts go to the family of the deceased pilot.

Link: Marine Corps Times

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this.

There is a follow up story posted at the bottom of the linked article. The pilot was Marine Corps Maj. Andrew Mettler from Marietta, GA.

Rest in peace Major Mettler.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Very sad.

I have a good feeling where you are at. Dad was chief of security for sometime in the late 80s, early 90s, at what was then known as Naval Air Station Miramar. I used to visit often, watching the F14s take off and land. I also spent a lot of time at Duffytown.

I also recall in the mid 80s, 2 airmen punched out of an F14, and landed near one of my friends house. One of the guys knocked on his door to use the phone Eek.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Appears the Major opted to stay with the plane to ensure no civilian casualties on the ground as that area on the approach has a lot of housing.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16249 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Appears the Major opted to stay with the plane to ensure no civilian casualties on the ground as that area on the approach has a lot of housing.

Yeah. That's our house.
God bless you Major. Reminds me of The Great Santini. We don't deserve these heroes.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was the crash site in the hills below Scrips Ranch/Poway, East of 15?

This is unfortunate, as the USMC decided to pass on replacing these legacy with the Super's, instead putting their eggs into the F-35 basket, which as we've known, has sped-up recently but, still behind schedule. Meanwhile, we've got -A, -C & -D's falling out of the sky as their life expectancy has been stretched beyond what maintenance can support.

Posts: 14669 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw the weather at 600-700 overcast at the time. I don’t know the exact location of the accident, nor about any distress call.

I’m sure the ATC tapes, location, phase of flight(recovery/approach) and radar track would give some serious clues.

Posts: 6172 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is unfortunate, as the USMC decided to pass on replacing these legacy with the Super's, instead putting their eggs into the F-35 basket, which as we've known, has sped-up recently but, still behind schedule. Meanwhile, we've got -A, -C & -D's falling out of the sky as their life expectancy has been stretched beyond what maintenance can support.

I’ve read of the Navy (or Marines, don’t remember which) having to go to aircraft museums and pull parts from the exhibit planes for maintenance of active service planes.

My wife noted that we haven’t heard the usual F/A-18’s in their landing pattern the last few days, and assume they are grounded pending investigation. Today earlier heard a jet but sounded like it wasn’t a fighter.

Yes, this is in the part of MCAS land directly adjacent to Scripps Ranch properties south of Pomerado Drive. We can look over that general area on our afternoon walks.

The crash happened at 11:54 pm Thursday night, I believe. We were sound asleep, but I would have thought we would have heard a plane crash. Weather early the next morning was heavily overcast which hampered search/rescue efforts.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Yeah. That's our house.
God bless you Major. Reminds me of The Great Santini. We don't deserve these heroes.

Doesn’t that plane have low-level ejection capability? Ejection immediately before impact?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8990 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Doesn’t that plane have low-level ejection capability? Ejection immediately before impact?

Yes it does* which is one of the many reasons why I think this is an inadvertent Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT) scenario. I'll let the MIR with all endorsements come out before I say any more.

(* Depending on airspeed, altitude, bank angle and dive angle)

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tailhook. We look forward to hearing more at the right time.