SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Very creepy email anomaly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very creepy email anomaly Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
I wrote a friend. I wanted to address some stuff he brought up in a recent email. This short note to him tells the story --

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8365 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Sichuan Pork, you get eggroll. No substitutions!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
You get free translations when you buy Chinese computer? Auto-translate - makes it easier for PRC to spy on you.

Did it translate correctly?

Cut and paste the characters into a translate program and see what it spits out.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Trouble with that, is 30 minutes after sending an email, you want to send another.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Cut and paste the characters into a translate program and see what it spits out.

I tried a few different translators, only one came up with at least some English. One word appeared multiple times - "moxibustion" - one definition suggests "..Moxibustion is a traditional Chinese medicine therapy which consists of burning dried mugwort..."

Alrighty then but why would the same email in different holding areas display like this?

Posts: 8365 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Moxibustion is a sister therapy to acupuncture. Instead of applying needles to specific acupunture points on the body, burning lumps of mugwort are placed. This is done to correct the Qi flow that has been disrupted due to disease.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^

So after moxibustion, I can charge my phone on
my stomach?

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
My wifes IPhone changed over to Beijing time on its own today.

This is getting rather creepy.....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Do not underestimate the power of Qi. Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I wrote a friend. I wanted to address some stuff he brought up in a recent email. This short note to him tells the story --

. I think they spelled a word wrong, see if you can find it.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
String together the highlighted works and letters. Bet it says something like "Don't pay the ransom."

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
OP, thank you for quoting the entire message. I now know how to enhance my love life, lose 20 lbs. overnight, and make big money with bitcoin!

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It says:

I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING LOTS OF FUN IN TRYING TO CATCH ME THAT WASNT ME ON THE TV SHOW WHICH BRINGS UP A POINT ABOUT ME I AM NOT AFRAID OF THE GAS CHAMBER BECAUSE IT WILL SEND ME TO PARADICE ALL THE SOONER BECAUSE I NOW HAVE ENOUGH SLAVES TO WORK FOR ME WHERE EVERYONE ELSE HAS NOTHING WHEN THEY REACH PARADICE SO THEY ARE AFRAID OF DEATH I AM NOT AFRAID BECAUSE I KNOW THAT MY NEW LIFE IS LIFE WILL BE AN EASY ONE IN PARADICE DEATH

-Zodiac

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Probably a corrupted character in the data that throws off everything after it.
I've had similar displays; they usually work correctly after refreshing the screen or from a different browser or app.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Trouble with that, is 30 minutes after sending an email, you want to send another.

LOL, for the win!!!! Big Grin

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10209 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Drink more Ovaltine.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Probably a corrupted character in the data that throws off everything after it.
I've had similar displays; they usually work correctly after refreshing the screen or from a different browser or app.
Well, if we are going to be serious about this....

Far more likely is that the OP's mailer is displaying the message using a different character set and/or "locale" than that the recipient expects. If your mailer allows it, e.g. with a "view message source" option, look for a header such as "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8" You may find that the charset value is something else, specifically a Chinese character set. Changing this in the raw disk image of the email may be sufficient to reveal decipherable content.

This is all part of multiple lanquage support in standard email, a complicated and confusing subject, but one that linguists and computer professionals have been dealing with for decades. Most languages use characters that are not available in the English alphabet, and this is intended to allow speakers to exchange email in a language they find comfortable. To add complexity, the standard character encodings in some languages use multi-byte sequences allowing the use of more than 256 characters in an alphabet. Standard Mandarin Chinese, for example, has "well over 20,000 characters" in its "alphabet."

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
It say, " Deck the halls with boughs of horry. Rah, rah, rah, rah, rah, rah, rah, rah, rah."

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I'm glad this happened. Big Grin

Here's a further translation, why not?

桗瑡愠猠潨⹷ꃂ圠圠側 歮湩琠桢歮湩㽧ꃂ圠汩湡潹敮攠敶⹷ꃂ圠栳栳朠朠朠桢減栳栳朠桿朠桿朠桿朠朠桿捴桢猠桿朠桿朠桿朠朠桿桿湷朠桿渝朠朠朠朠書汩 朠朠慲扢摥戠⁹硥捥瑵癞⁥牯敤Ⱳ␠〱ഠ琊楲汬潩洠琊潦⁲打慲止摥潦⁲搠湠毲渽渮搠搠渁渽渽渁搠搠湲渽渁渁渁毁ⱹꃂ愠摮䤠洠栊慥摲椠湡攠慭汩映潲⁡牦敩摮摮䤠洠栊慥摲椠湡攠慭汩映潲⁡牦敩摮摮䤠洠栊慥摲椠湡攠慭汩映潲⁡牦敩摮摮䤠洠栊慥湁椠湁楴栄湩敨獩戴⥄湁獩渴⥄湁獩渴Moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, peach, peach, moxibustion, peach, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion, moxibustion and moxibustion, 攠樍湡瑹桢杮愠huang瑵搠敨気獡⁴ 敨気獡⁴潆擆桢桢湡湡愠瑴 潆樍湡⁤畯⁲ Industry 楬楲楲汩 Dare to be indifferent 摲牥摥摥琠瑳湡湡湡润湷숕₠湡湡樥湷엮₠渽湡湡湡₠畦摮摥愠摮琠敨朠湵⁳木⁥Mu Dare Ɽ 猠 Hao Tai  桴 滟 琠  摮 琠敨朠湵⁳ Mu ⁥ Mu 扡 dare Ɽ 猠 滟 琠  桴 ⁥ 瑡  潣 汵 ⁤ 敭 湡 洠汵 ⁕ 敭 湡 kai Youtian  Chanqianrenzao ⁤ Yu ⁤ Chan ❵ Jingzhi ⁥ Shaojietangmo sewage ਍ Chan Qianceonchidong Juanchendengjing Mouchairenchi ⁥ Luexianzhizhao Qulangyungeng ⹯ꃂ pass ⁲晩啡桧⁴ 桴桴愠ഠ朊湵礠畯朊朊湵礠畯晩連栠砵栵畯畯堬栠砵栵畯聡潬潬祮숮₠湁⁤桷瑡渠湁⁤桴敶敶猠極極樵楴樵楴樵樵樵敶猠極楴抰In the future, you will be able to find out what you want to do, and then you will be able to hunt for it, and you will be accustomed to hunting, and you will be accustomed to hunting.愠汬琠吠側湡⁤tan knocking barking 捵敫⁲ deterring 歬⁳楬敫barren Langtang⁳ regular 汬洠洠洠⁥⁡਍楤 obscure 湥 dispersing 椠 desert respect桷瑡琠敨搠浥⁳ moisturizing rinsing douche ❮⁴ 敨ഠ 猊敥琠敨 桷猊敥琠敨樹汩 Ganqu  Tan 攠唠䅓숿₠桗桗摡梁渠栁渝椴椴減渝椴椴椴拝椴椴拝椴湕恕拝椴椴椴椴椴椴椴椴椴椴椴椴摡椕灡数⋝汯瑵汥⁹ tidal 桴湩潴ow 敥⁰桴⁥ Lang 敨⁲楳敤栠 Tang 捥㽴਍਍਍湁⁤獡 Ying Mu 愠湩畯⁲砽氳湕畯⁲砽 氳湕⁰ ⁹ Ai ⁥ Weicuotiantou was Yunlimajin ⁹਍ Huang Qin ⁷ Dental 㽳 ꃂ 䄠 Gao Qian Ke ⁡ Cong ⁷ rafter ⁥ Heizhengmiantu ⁴ retention stabbed Tu ⁹ rafter ⁥ Yuchi ⁳ jyo 숿 ₠ Duotu Tian Ying敨洠愊譊設計堠砠砠琠桴⁥栠栠栠桴⁥楦楦楶桴浩⁳kai汬戠⁥桴獯⁥ Fan 瑳捩獥吠吠側潶⁠ꂴ␠搠側罯⁠ꂴ⁠ழ Searching for the game, hunting, hunting, otter, otter, object, jingqing, മ, ഊ, yi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, on Unfolding and unfolding volume 湩猠浯⁥ generosity⁹਍琨ⱶ爠摡潩湩all 湲瑥牯椠 number of soupsⰩ朠瑥猠obsessed 摥椠潹❵ knocking on the channel Langchao Dirty sulcus

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,