SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous Vide NY Steak
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous Vide NY Steak Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
One of our local grocers puts 1.5" NY Steaks on sale for $4.99 a pound regularly. We bought 4 of these babies.

Now, you lightly coat with olive oil, apply a spicy rug (woops, that's RUB), vacuum pack and sous vide for 3.5 hours at 140 degrees.

Finish with a quick browning on a cast iron griddle and enjoy.

I know, why no pictures? Cause they're all gone.

Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4226 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
One of our local grocers puts 1.5" NY Steaks on sale for $4.99 a pound regularly. We bought 4 of these babies.

Now, you lightly coat with olive oil, apply a spicy rug, vacuum pack and sous vide for 3.5 hours at 140 degrees.

Finish with a quick browning on a cast iron griddle and enjoy.

I know, why no pictures? Cause they're all gone.

Mike

Sounds like fake news to me.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

You think you're being clever, but you're really not. . .

So, you vacuum-seal the steaks, and immerse them in 140F water, then cook them on the grill? I've never actually heard of that before. Do you need anything special, besides a vacuum-sealer?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I was just trying to make a joke.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I'm not 'offended,' it's just like people inserting politics in every single thread. It gets old.

Look at it from OP's perspective. He posts about a good meal he cooked, and the first response is something completely irrelevant. At least post something substantial.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So, you vacuum-seal the steaks, and immerse them in 140F water, then cook them on the grill? I've never actually heard of that before. Do you need anything special, besides a vacuum-sealer?

Get one of these......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put the vacuum packed meat in the water and wait. I finish on a cast iron griddle on my range for about 45 seconds a side to get tbe nice grill marks.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4226 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey man, I thought that was funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
quote:

As did I. No different than "pics or it didn't happen".

PS, post some darn pictures next time!!!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Me too. I didn't think the reply was meant to be harmful, but a jest instead. I took it to be "fake news" since no photos were posted... that old thing we do "pics or it didn't happen". Not politically motivated.

To the OP, I've not tried the sous vide yet (I'm in Baghdad on a tour) but am intrigued by the whole idea of reversing the usual cooking technique of a hard sear then back off and cook until done, as the sous vide concept sounds to me to be the reverse as well. Glad it was a win and delicious. And a great sale price on the beef, too.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Get one of these......

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put the vacuum packed meat in the water and wait. I finish on a cast iron griddle on my range for about 45 seconds a side to get tbe nice grill marks.

Mike

I have one. Love it.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if I like a wood fired steak, how do I get that smokey goodness after the Sous Vide process?

I'm not against a cast iron sear. But precision and wood smoke without firing up a grill would be perfect.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
You lost me at 140 degrees

125 is where it is at...

PS, if there is time for Sous Vide, there is time for pictures...

SV-StripP2 by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

SV-StripPF by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10942 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
So if I like a wood fired steak, how do I get that smokey goodness after the Sous Vide process?

I'm not against a cast iron sear. But precision and wood smoke without firing up a grill would be perfect.

-TVz

Two options, low heat smoking before going into the water or a touch of liquid smoke in the bag maybe?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10942 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For cooking a steak sous vide, the vacuum packing is not the critical part -- rather, the precise temperature control is. You can achieve fantastic sous vide results by using a ziploc bag and a cooler. If you're willing to experiment, you could even use a stove burner at the very lowest setting to provide the heat. It's a bush-league solution when compared to a genuine circulator like the Anova, but it works and you don't have to spend a lot of money to get really great results.

As for the smoke, there are many solutions. Some people "cheat" by adding liquid smoke to the bag along with the steak. Others will use one of those smoking guns, and you can also use a charcoal grill with some wood chunks to provide the smoke.

Posts: 122 | Registered: April 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

As did I. No different than "pics or it didn't happen".

Pretty much this.
It's just an innocent banana peel in a tree, unless you are looking for something else.

And I would go 130*, but to each his own.

Awesome pics 911Boss.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's just an innocent banana peel in a tree, unless you are looking for something else.

From now on, I think I'm going to use the Banana peel in a tree analogy for when someone over reacts.

"Geez man, it's not like it's a banana peel in a tree..."

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So did I. I thought it was appropriately applied instead of the same old boring "pics or it did the happen" comment.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
Love my Anova for steaks. I've got a lodge cast iron skillet with raised bottom that sears the steak perfectly.

Only change I make is I sous vide at 130 for an hour.

Yum!

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
911Boss -- Great protection! I still have regrets for selling mine to a member here. At least I know that it's in good hands.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, you lightly coat with olive oil, apply a spicy rug.......

So exactly what kind of rug is that again? Shag? Deep Pile? Area? Runner? Or were you going some other direction and this requires some kind of toupee? Just confused...

Yeah...I'm giving you crap, mcrimm. Big Grin

p.s. Looks delicious, Boss! Hope it tasted the same!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post