SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hold Off on Filing Your Return, IRS Tells Millions of Taxpayers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hold Off on Filing Your Return, IRS Tells Millions of Taxpayers Login/Join 
posted
The Internal Revenue Service says it would clear up confusion this week about whether certain state refunds count as taxable income

The Internal Revenue Service told millions of taxpayers to hold off on filing their returns until it issues guidance on whether several state refund and rebate payments issued last year count as taxable income.

California sent out more than 16 million special Middle Class Tax Refund payments, worth $9 billion, to help counter inflation and high gas prices last year. It is still unclear if those payments should be treated as taxable federal income, as taxpayers are starting to file their 2022 tax returns.

The IRS said in a Friday statement it will provide guidance this week on the tax status of California’s and other states’ payments. Meanwhile, it is advising those who received these payments to await further instructions.

“For taxpayers and tax preparers with questions, the best course of action is to wait for additional clarification on state payments rather than calling the IRS,” the IRS said.

Despite the IRS statement, H&R Block Inc. and Intuit Inc.’s INTU 1.97%increase; green up pointing triangle TurboTax, two of the biggest tax-preparation companies, have continued to file returns for clients. The firms are taking the position that the California payments aren’t taxable.

“Many taxpayers who file early in the season are very anxious for their refunds. Waiting another week to file would mean waiting another week for their refund,” said Kathy Pickering, chief tax officer at H&R Block.

The tax status of special state payments is just one reason many taxpayers might receive smaller tax refunds this year compared with last.

Flush with money, more than a dozen states issued rebates and refunds in 2022, akin to the federal stimulus payments issued during the Covid pandemic. Whether the state payments are taxable for federal purposes depends on the stated purpose and federal tax law. If the payments were for Covid relief, for example, they should be exempt from federal tax as disaster-relief payments, tax professionals say.

In some cases, it depends on whether a taxpayer itemizes deductions. The Virginia tax authorities said that the up-to-$500 one-time 2022 Virginia rebate will be treated like a state tax refund, so it will be taxable for taxpayers who itemize deductions, but not for taxpayers who take the standard deduction.

In California, state tax authorities have said that the payments aren’t taxable for state-income-tax purposes but may be for federal purposes. California issued more than 6.4 million 1099-MISC reporting forms to the taxpayers who got payments of $600 or more, according to the Franchise Tax Board, California’s tax authority.

“That’s left everybody in a state of confusion,” said Ms. Pickering.

H&R Block’s analysis concluded that the California payments aren’t taxable for federal purposes as certain payments to promote general welfare are excludable from federal income. So they are filing returns for customers who received the payments, but not including the payments as taxable income. TurboTax is also taking the position that the payments aren’t taxable for federal purposes, said Lisa Greene-Lewis, a certified public accountant and editor at TurboTax.

The California payments ranged from $200 to $1,050, based on family size and income. For a family who got the full $1,050 payment, the extra federal tax hit could be a couple hundred dollars.

For taxpayers who have already filed, the IRS says it doesn’t recommend filing an amended return at this time.

Write to Ashlea Ebeling at ashlea.ebeling@wsj.com

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/h...axpayers-11675737726

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Too late. Did it and e-filed Sunday.

We didn't get a refund from the State, last year, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Done and have no skin in this state thing.

Q

Posts: 26489 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
GA gave out $500 last year, surplus they called it

I'm not filing until the deadline anyway, will probably owe

Posts: 5350 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Already filed and got the federal back. Waiting on the state return.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
No state tax here, filed this weekend

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filed already, as several of the above with the addition of having just received our small refund ($100).

No state tax in Florida.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm in Wisconsin.
Mine are done,sent and back already. Paid my $2 to the feds and the little bit I got back from state is already mostly spent. Frown Funny enough, what I got back from state was almost exactly half of what I got back last year, and I owed fed twice as much this year.

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Internal Revenue Service told millions of taxpayers....
They haven't told me squat.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Oh well, we always owe a little bit and won't start doing my taxes until late March anyway.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Watch out for those pesky 1099-MISC that are coming in from credit card rewards, eBay and the like.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Too late. I already filed, and just saw that our return was direct deposited today.

The only way I found out was that I was using bill pay, and saw it was deposited. I had just checked this afternoon on the "Where's My Refund" feature on the IRS site, and it only showed that my return was received on Saturday. I checked again just now, and it still shows "Return Received", but not "Approved" or "Refund Sent".

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post