SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Smartphone recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Smartphone recommendations Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted
I presently own a flip phone with basic cellphone capabilities and I have decided that I now want to give Smartphones a try. The problem is that Smartphones are a totally new concept to me, I know next to nothing about them and have no idea as to where to start.

I would appreciate some suggestions/recommendations on what to look for, programs & accessories and whatever else that might be helpful for someone who has never owned a Smartphone. I am presently using Verizon.

Thanks.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Verizon has the Motorola One "Ace" at a decent price.

This is an Android based phone (you either have Android or Apple).

Nice screen size easy to use, plenty of internal memory (like a computer hard drive), and expendable memory with a Micro SD Card.

I use this phone with an Otter Box case (for protection against drops) and a tempered glass screen protector.

It is like having a computer in my pocket.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
ggile,

There are so many choices I think it would serve you well to go to the store and try a bunch of different phones out. I'm an Android user (Samsung Galaxy S20) myself, and have an Apple SE for work. I despise my Apple phone but that's what my job has.

You may be partial to Apple, but then again you may like a completely different brand. Pretty much any newer phone will surely suit your needs. I know that doesn't answer your question, but for a decision like this, I think you should hold them and try them out prior to making a big decision like going from a flip phone to a smart phone.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
I recommend apple but you might want to look at the computer you use to make a choice.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Apple phones are the easiest to use if you aren't tech savvy.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You’ll be happy with an iPhone

IMO there’s too many versions and types of Android smartphone out there with them all slightly different by model and make.

Apple is very consistent and user friendly, I’d recommend the iPhone SE if you wanted a smaller one and an iPhone 11 or 12 if you wanted larger.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Do you have a tablet? If so I would recommend you get a smart phone that matches the tablet operating system, either apple or android.

If not then your big issue is which operating system to go with. Most apps (but not all) are written for either System.

The apple or android route is a bigger Agruement discussion then 9mm vs .45.

Once you figure out the OS you can talk specific phones.

As for apps; google maps, my radar, a web browser (duck duck go), calculator, clock, and google books are apps I use daily. Most of the apps you end up with are used less frequently but are there when you need them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
We have Verizon and three of us are very happy with the bottom of the line Samsung A50. Yesterday I added a fourth line for our disabled daughter with two upgrades of the A50 that is now the A42. Does everything we could ask without paying top dollar.

Just our opinion and experience.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my apple phone for making calls,and sending text messages. I use the calculator from time to time. It is compatible with my Ipad which is nice. I do not surf the net on my iphone, I have a desktop computer for that. I may do facetime which is a primitive form of video conferencing. Decide how you will use your phone.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chose an iPhone 3GS in 2010 because it would cover the following:

Phone/Text, Calendar, Calculator, Email, Maps/GPS, iPod. One device instead of several. Once I started traveling a lot for work, it was indispensable. Airline apps, hotel apps, data-based communication apps that are used by a lot of people I work with outside the US (WeChat, What's App, KakaoTalk, Line, etc.).

Along the way I've had a 5, 6, 7, X, Xs, and 11Pro. Since the 7 I am on the Apple Store plan and can upgrade each year (after 12 payments) or not. I didn't upgrade to the 12 because it was late to market and I am working at home since March 2020.

As of now I have security system control with auto disarm over bluetooth and geo-fencing, remote garage door control, thermostat and lighting control, and various other things. And then I had to add all the stupid apps schools use now to communicate everything. The wallet is nice to have my credit cards for use with Apple Pay, all the stupid club cards for stores, airline boarding passes, and other passes/tickets.

I will not buy a car without Apple Play to put the Music, Maps, and other functions on the car touchscreen while keeping you "honest" about hands free safety.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Google Pixel

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I would say the decision points follow the following:

1) supported by your provider. This is sort of a trick point as most providers will work well with most phones, but you might want to inquire about "deals" they have with specific phones, and if anything is specifically not supported. If you are very much into wanting to try heavy high-speed data provision, the whole 5G thing might have some impact here.

2) Apple vs. Android. Two aspects, if you like the idea and actuality of an "integrated environment across all your devices," Apple is the clear preferred direction. This pretty much mean you'd already have a Mac on your desk as your preferred computing platform, an AppleTV connected to your TV> etc. It also means that you will be locked into Apple's way of working for most stuff. Going Android means that you prefer Google to Apple for these decisions, however, you have the option, if you are so inclined and have sort of a hacker mentality, to make significant changes to many more aspects of your interaction with your devices. If you are running Linux on your desktop, Android may indeed be the better fit.

3) Specific features and capabilities of the phone itself. Things like how good the camera is, audio quality, 4G/5G/blahblah, etc.

4) Price.

I don't think that you will be able to find anyone who can, or will figure this stuff out for you. You have to do the most painful and difficult thing imaginable, educate yourself. In doing so, realize that vendors lie, sometime very creatively, and the guys who are willing/anxious to share their opinions, will use language and concepts that the uninitiated have no hope to understand.

There are many many Internet sites that are dedicated to understanding the ins and outs of smartphones. Find and explore these until the jargon starts to make sense to you. Then you might be able to start understanding what is involved in making an informed decision.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input, there are some good points for me to consider.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my first smart phone, an iPhone 12 mini, a few months ago. Despite the fact that I am pretty tech challenged, the transition from the flip phone wasn't too bad. I have been using the basic functions and it will take a while to learn the more advanced. The mini is nice in that it will fit in a pocket fairly easily. I don't care for Apple's politics, but that is a whole different issue.

FWIW we spend a fair amount of time in rural areas and Verizon has good coverage.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My last purchase was through a place called Back Market. I got a Pixel 3 in excellent condition for 150 bucks. I never buy a new one again.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Apple phones are the easiest to use if you aren't tech savvy.
Wrong. Neither are difficult to operate, they just do things differently.

To the Op, if this is your first smartphone, you'll likely put minimal demands on it. As such, I'd look for a carrier deal where you might be able to score a decent Samsung phone for free. If it turns out you really dig the smartphone world, you can always upgrade to something more feature packed (i.e. expensive) down the road.
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Do you have a tablet? If so I would recommend you get a smart phone that matches the tablet operating system, either apple or android.
I've got a Apple iPad Pro, a Samsung Galaxy Tab, and a brand new Microsoft Surface tablet. Following your advice, I wonder which phone platform I should be on. Razz Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
(Update)

I decided on the Iphone SE (2020). For as little as I use a cell phone, it fills in the niche between my flip phone and latest smartphones quite nicely.

I've spent the last week familiarizing with my new phone and found the process to be mostly tedious rather than difficult.

Thanks again to you all for your input.

Benjamin Franklin

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
(Update)

I decided on the Iphone SE (2020).

Good choice, IMO.

My wife and I have iPhone SE (2020)'s. We're quite pleased with them. Just about the "right" size: Just big enough to be mostly useful for most things you'd want to do with a smartphone, but not so big they don't easily fit just about anywhere you'd want to stash one.

quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I've spent the last week familiarizing with my new phone and found the process to be mostly tedious rather than difficult.

The good news is you'll have to go through that tedium only once. Mostly Smile And when you someday want/need an upgrade the process will be about as painless as such a thing could be, if you stick with iThings.

Now, of course, you may be doomed. I once-upon-a-time shunned the whole "smart things" thing. Now I'm up to iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Air Pods, Apple TVs, and Apple HomeKit. Couldn't help it. The integration between these things is just so darn cool Smile. I'm now even considering *gasp* Home Pods!

"Siri, turn on irrigation zone 5, please..."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There is more to a ‘smartphone’ than just calling & texting. You have instant access to news, weather, markets, emails, navigation, & finding tidbits of information.

I hang back from the Apple bow wave, an 8 or a little better is enough. I like the smaller phones.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
"Apple"
'nuff said!

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post