SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Eating Holes In My Hosta Plants?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Eating Holes In My Hosta Plants? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I've got about 18 Hosta plants around my property and they are coming up and looking good but on some of them I'm starting to see holes in the leaves like something is munching away at them.

What is eating them?

How do I stop that? Can I stop that?

Thanks!

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Mine started coming up at the very end of December then disappeared. I thought they were goners, but they went ahead and popped up fresh two weeks ago. Got the holes in them as well. But are recovered already.

Maybe when they come up late they are more susceptible to munchers?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Slugs! Slugs love hostas best deterrent is pine straw bedding. The pine straw is to rough and uncomfortable for the slugs.

Slugs generally dine at night so looking during the day you may not find any.

I have also heard using epsom salt in the beds will help. Salt is no good for slugs gooieness. The salt will also generally give your hostas a deeper color.

Hostas are pretty neat. They’ll be nothing visible we’ll clean out the beds once the weather breaks slightly (2 weeks ago for us) then BOOM like 2 days later they are huge.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Slugs it is. Some will say sprinkle cracked eggshells around the hostas for the same reason as the pinestraw, too rough on the tender little slugs. Didn't work for me.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Need more info.

Does it look like an animal (deer, rabbit, etc) is taking a bite out of them or does it look like a bug/insect is eating them?

Do you see anything left behind (e.g. droppings, webs, larvae, eggs, slime trail, etc) on top or bottom of leaves?

Also, before it inevitably gets posted, Diatomaceous Earth controlling slugs is an old wives tale. Here is a good garden myth debunking site and their test on DE powder and slugs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Does it look like an animal (deer, rabbit, etc) is taking a bite out of them or does it look like a bug/insect is eating them?

Small holes in the middle of the leaves, not nibbles by critters like deer or rabbits. I doubt there are deer where I live, but I've seen rabbits.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sounds like slugs.

Sounds like slugs, but to be sure I'd go out and check the hastas about an hour after sunset. If you don't see any, leave 3 or 4 cups with beer (or even cheaper water, yeast, and sugar) out overnight and check in morning for slugs.

If you find slugs:
  • the bee safe approach - based on the reading that I did a year ago for my garden (little bastards took a liking to my lettuce and spinach) and my personal results a product containing iron phosphate (e.g. Sluggo) is effective. Have to reapply after it rains.
  • kill it like grandpa did - use Sevin dust. As long as the hasta is not flowering it'll be fine for the bees.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Have you personally tried their recommendations? The reason I ask is that the garden myth site I linked earlier debunked their #1, #5, and #6 "solutions."

I had dozens of slugs last year so I tested their DE powder experiment the same way (put down circle of DE powder and place slugs in center) and the little bastards crawled right through it just like they would coffee grounds, epsom salts, and egg shells.

His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Hosta plants

?

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by egregore:
    quote:
    Hosta plants

?
    https://www.bhg.com/gardening/...ary/perennial/hosta/

Picture of dsiets
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    quote:
    Hosta plants

?
    https://www.bhg.com/gardening/...ary/perennial/hosta/

So that's what they're supposed to look like before the deer make salad out of them.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nosce te ipsum
    Picture of Woodman
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Hosta plants

?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Hosta plants

?

Not mine, just some examples. I’d kill to have some like this:

Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    I picked up a box of this at Lowe's, hopefully it works. Has pretty good reviews:

PopeDaddy
    Picture of x0225095
    posted Hide Post
    Anything that likes a salad will eat hostas.

Rabbits, deer, slugs, snails....

The pellets mentioned above will work as will Sevin Dust for the slugs and snails.

Need something a little heavier for the deer (e.g., thirty thirty).

As an alternative to using Hostas as a deer salad, you might try Cora Bells (i.e., Heuchera). Deer don't like eating Heuchera and its performance, use and appearance can be very similar to Hosta.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    186,000 miles per second.
    It's the law.

posted Hide Post
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by x0225095:
    Anything that likes a salad will eat hostas.

Rabbits, deer, slugs, snails....

The pellets mentioned above will work as will Sevin Dust for the slugs and snails.

Need something a little heavier for the deer (e.g., thirty thirty).

As an alternative to using Hostas as a deer salad, you might try Cora Bells (i.e., Heuchera). Deer don't like eating Heuchera and its performance, use and appearance can be very similar to Hosta.

Sluggo.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sgalczyn
    posted Hide Post
    Deer would eat them to the ground.....sounds like slugs:
    - fill a pan with "cheap" beer....they will crawl in n drown....if ya gotta go. .go happy!
    - why pay for all the "kill it all" insecticides....keep it slug un-friendly only and dust the area with DE (diatomaceous earth).....go all hari-kari on them. Just reapply after a rain.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of wingspar
    posted Hide Post
    Never heard of hostas. Had to Google them. Shade tolerant? Huge bonus for me. Deer eat them? Wonder what hosta fed venison tastes like?

---------------
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
    Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PASig:
    I picked up a box of this at Lowe's, hopefully it works. Has pretty good reviews:

Should be fine as the active ingredient is Chelated Iron Phosphate (called EDTA). The chelated version of iron makes it more water soluble which helps the iron to be taken up into the body of the snail or slug slightly better. However, its downside is that it is more water soluble so it'll go into the soil further and might be toxic to beneficial earth worms.